+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here has and pays for their own health insurance?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Who here has and pays for their own health insurance?

Or has it provided by their employer?

EDIT: See update below.
    Last edited by Junket; 19-12-08 at 05:33 AM.

::raises hand:: i pay for my own. but then again i am my own employer. so both i guess lol.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

i read a thread recently about health insurance, it was quite entertaining, at the time mis you didn't have insurance coz you are a native but you got looked after when you needed for free. mish had a lot to say, dunno what the name of the thread was. anyway Fras i'm assuming you are asking US citizens, so i have nothin else to add to topic
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

With my ex-job, the company paid for the health insurance, but previously I had always paid. I guess I'll have to go back to it buying my own even though it will be horribly expensive.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Might cost me about 150 dollars a month for moderate deductibles based off of what I looked at so far.

What does this mean to me?

Well, I save about 100-150 every month, sometimes a bit more if it's a good month.

It would come down to either saving money, or insurance.

It sucks.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think employers should be required to provide some type of health insurance coverage.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

That is my dilema as well, Frasbee. Are there any group plans you can get in on? For example, creatives here can join a freelancers union which has lower group rates.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think employers should be required to provide some type of health insurance coverage.
    I haven't gotten into the technical bullshit with you, but here's the deal with my company. After 90 days of employment a person is qualified to have half of their personal health insurance paid by the company. The thing is, when they gave me the paper work to do it, I only had a 2 day window to get it, but I didn't even have insurance then, so I missed my opportunity, and it turns out I wouldn't be able to jump on it anyway until this upcoming Feb. Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know either.

Yes, I'm considering joining the Union just for the insurance, but I don't want to take a pay cut in doing so, so I'm trying to get some more work experience under my belt before I apply.

Got to like having OSHC worldcare coverage as well as reciprocal health rights from the swedish healthcare system.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I live in Canada. The miniscule amount I'm supposed to pay is covered by my work. Even so, in my province it's about $54/month for someone making over $28k. Peanuts.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Insurance stats

This year is the first time in my life I have health insurance (Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield). Employer takes it out of my check. I work full time at a substance abuse nonprofit, my copays/deductables are as follows:

$30 office service
    $150 emergency room
    $50 urgent care
    $10/$35 RX Tier1/RX Tier2
    $75/20% RX Tier3/Rx Tier 4
    30% Inpatient
    30% Other Outpatient Services

Hope that helps, whatever it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Or has it provided by their employer?
    i prefer insurance without deductibles. my plan is called Active Start by Blue Shield. basically i have to pay 40% out of pocket and the insurance covers the rest of it.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Look at ALL of your options through your employer Fras. Determine for yourself the necessity of having health insurance (meaning if you're in pretty good health maybe just a catastrophe plan might work for you). Insurance is so damn expensive its crazy. We pay 423.00 every 2 months and I have a 500 deductible with 20% copay. My hubby has the catastrophe plan. Its similar to having dental insurance, if youre in great dental health I strongly encouraged people NOT to pick up a plan because it costs someone more in premiums a year than for 2 cleanings. If someone has a ton of dental work already done, chances are they need to be covered.

I think employers should provide something to their employees for health coverage, shoot our own government should provide it!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

I live in Japan. Here we have universal health care. I pay about $200 a month, out of pocket.

I used to live in California. I sold insurance. For somebody my age with blue shield, it would have been about $350. I've had friends that had too experiences with Kaiser.

When I worked for a big company, it was about $100, and It was through some HMO, I don't remember who.
    George

[URL="http://www.georgehutton.net/wordpress"]Read my blog![/URL]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm getting health insurance!

It's with Blue Cross Blue Shield. It's not Point of Service, where you play a flat rate no matter what, but rather, it's a discounted service so I pay a percentage.

I have an annual deductible of 3,300 dollars. Should I ever reach that amount for any reason, Blue Cross will cover 100% of the expenses thereafter until the end of the year.

It's gonna cost me just under 90 dollars a month.

However, my company will pay for half of that on a monthly basis, so it's only gonna cost me about 45 dollars a month.

Unfortunately I will no longer be able to save like I used to, until I get a raise.

But here's to improving quality of life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast