+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Meeting strangers on the street.

Meeting strangers on the street.

Have you done this? Gone up to a stranger in the street?

Is this even possible? How many people actually do this?

Recently, it has gotten an interest in me. There has been situations when I have wanted to go up and say "hey, what are you smiling?", but I am afraid that I will fail miserably because there is nothing to say next. Its small city also (~200k), so I just might bump into that person again.
    I am really shy person, an introvert, but I have improved a lot. I see nice people every day, people who I would like to know, but I have no way of interracting. I used to avoid people, just look down or something when passing by, because if I didn't, I might had to say something. But I have improved. Although recently was a weird case, some russian girl at my work who I saw first time just said hi to me, it was so sudden that I lost my reaction and just had a blank nod... It turned her away, but she is young and not my type at all, I would like to avoid her. But it was the mere act of someone saying hi to someone who he/she doesn't know that intrigues me.
    But it was a workplace, there it is more normal because you are supposed to hang around there and get to know people. but in random places like street or store, is different.

What are your opinions and suggestions on this? How to gain up the balls and what is the procedure? How would you act if someone came up to you at street, what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by boobaa; 28-10-08 at 10:14 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Boobaa, on the actual street I tend to be more guarded, but I live in a big city where there are crazies roaming around. I've been accosted by crazy people randomly trying to come up and insult me or worse, so I tend to be pretty cautious when a stranger approaches.

But in a shop or other public place like a library, I would definitely talk to someone who didn't seem completely insane. In fact, recently I've been taking my laptop to the coffee shop so I can meet new people there. Last time I went a cute Aussie guy started talking to me. He asked me if my laptop was a gaming laptop and we started chatting. Unfortunately my cell phone rang, and I got totally cock-blocked (or the girl equivalent) and couldn't continue the convo with him.

I've also had situations where I'm sitting on a subway bench reading a book and a guy asks me what I'm reading. Unless he has crazy eyes or something, I'll usually answer and strike up a conversation.

Sure, public places aren't the best way to meet people, but not the worst either. I say go for it. You'll know pretty quickly by body language whether or not, you're barking up the wrong tree.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I say hello to everyone who seems friendly. Sometimes they don't always say hello back (rude) but oh well. Most people don't keep their head up when they walk, and it looks really unconfident... those are usually the shy people; avoiding any contact with another person. I engage in conversation if something happens on the street, i.e. guy getting arrested, street fight, fire, etc.

Just before class, I talk to the students around me, even if I don't know them. You can tell people are uncomfortable with that, because they are really brief in response.

Anyway, you're not going to be able to easily approach girls in public like that unless you walk/talk/act a certain way. Another thing is that you care too much. You're afraid of rejection and stuff, which you just need to get over. So what if you get rejected, everybody does. And who cares if you never find anyone, because unless you could live the rest of your life alone, you're not ready to handle a relationship.

There's just a point when you decide you don't care what people think about you, and then you will be approaching people very often... or better yet, you'll have the confidence, but not the will.

When guys come up to me and start talking to me...I actually feel flattered. It makes people feel good so..why not?

Hmm I like to think I'm introverted too but it just seems talking to complete strangers is a thing I'm good at. I think part of this is because I've been calling Newtown my home for the past couple of years.

For those that's not in Australia, newtown is probably one of the most friendly places you'll see, mixture of cultures and just a great place to be in. SO, maybe you need to expose yourself to more if these environments.

Don't think too much about it. You can carry on a great conversation just about anything since the other guy/girl is probably thinking geeee whiz what am I gonna say next as well. So long as you're talking about something, it's all good

On another note, (hehe, what a pun) I was left one on my door the other day. It says "U r hott, wut's ur #??" While it's probably a joke, I am flattered someone is taking the time to think about me. It might not be though, in which case, I wonder how low the girl's self-esteem would be. And how stupid she must think I am to leave my phone number on my door, which anyone could see.

If you have a crush, don't leave a note. Save notes and candies and roses for when you actually know the person, otherwise you could come off as unconfident, insecure, creepy, or [insert negative adjective here].

I'd wish that if it were a girl, they'd ask me to my face, so I could acknowledge the existence of my girlfriend and offer to hook her up with one of my indubitably awesome and single friends.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 29-10-08 at 02:46 PM.

Well haha I do have a funny story about talking to strangers too and this could be for a good laugh.

Was chilling out at starbucks with my mates and you know we ended up talking about art and what not as usual (we're studying to be illustrators) and this guy comes up and starts talking to me (yes guy, not a girl).

I enjoy conversations I do and we ended up talking about of random stuff which was all for fun in the end. At this point I hadn't noticed my friends weird facial expressions and that they had gone completely silent haha. After a while the guy said, "so what are you up to tonight?"

Yep, it occured to me damn, don't know if I should feel flattered or not (he's not a bad looking guy) but I have to say he was a nice bloke to talk to haha. And yeah, avoided that starbucks for a good 3 weeks while my friends gave me shit about it haha.
    Last edited by snoz; 29-10-08 at 03:07 PM.

if someone came up to me to flirt, well i have to say i would be shocked and giggle my heart out like the little girl that i am, i would be flattered.

the only city this has actually happened to me on a daily basis was New York. I couldn't get over how forward people were. it got to the stage that i forced myself to look down at the pavement and not smile coz it became time consuming on my way somewhere.

the amount of times i got approached both good and bad was shocking for me coz no-one in Ireland does that.

i also have to point out tho i would never take anything a person said in the street seriously simply coz i just don't know their stock- who they are/where they came from/family/friends etc etc. i personally need a connection somewhere so that i know (or hope i know) to some extent that they are not fcuked in the head, that goes for bars and clubs too. i don't do strangers....
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 29-10-08 at 03:34 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Tedel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    But in a shop or other public place like a library, I would definitely talk to someone who didn't seem completely insane.
    +1. I don't think it's a good idea to try to talk to somebody while you are walking. She can be in a hurry and you would just bother. Wait until she come to a more relaxed place and try to talk to her there.