+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The over sexualisation of children

The over sexualisation of children

I wanted to discuss people’s thoughts on the over sexualisation of children.

On a program I watched the other day there were people complaining about little bra and undie sets sold for little girls. The people on the show said that it makes the children too aware of sexualisation. They also mentioned Bratz dolls and their scant clothing as having a negative effect on children. I didn’t have a Barbi doll myself as a child but I imagine that most of the females on this board did. Did Barbie make you want to dress up like her?

When one of my nieces was about 3 she decided that she had to wear all of her skirts/pants on her hips down low because that was what Britney Spears was doing at the time.

Do you think children are becoming more sexualised at a young age?
    What type of messages are celebrities/role models sending to children especially in these days of the hip hop videos and their portrayal of women.

Do you think not much has changed and that we just analyse these things more? I would be interested especially in what the Mum’s on the board have to say about this.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're right they're becoming more slutified at an earlier age. They're just blossoming into the dirty little skanks that they were going to anyways at an earlier age. I say let them because society isn't going to help this problem at all in this day and age like it would have been able to in the past. Now it's just up to parents and family

Thoguh at the end of the day the responsibility for clothing that children wear falls on their parents and I believe it is parents duty to make sure their kids look decent, I agree that there must be a lot of peer pressure on kids to look a certain way (especially to look close to the fashion of the day). I guess it comes down to teaching kids important will power vs peer pressure skills, planting seeds of individuality and positive self perception (which is independant of fashion).

I don't deny for a second that parents in this day and age have a lot of work cut out for them. Strangely I look forward to these pressures and defeating them.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

old dirty men like little young girls.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, bitches my age enjoy older cock

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wonder.

Was there ever a time when human offspring didn't find someone beautiful, or commanding to be the focus of their idolization?

I think the difference between now and then is then there wasn't as much smut in the media and people were too busy working the farm and going to church to find a whore a worthy role model.

Little boys used to help their fathers hunt and farm.

Little girls used to help their mothers cook, clean and tend to their siblings.

Neither exclusively, I'm sure, but you followin' what I'm sayin'?

People used to walk around naked, believe it or not.

Let's face it, though. It's not oversexualizatin that's the problem. No. The problem is poor decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Use to...?

Don't tell me I'm the only one...

Let's face it, though. It's not oversexualizatin that's the problem. No. The problem is poor decision making.

Dopple..do you mean decision making by parents?

I think it's up to the parents to teach their children that you don't have to dress provocatively, show so much skin, wear tight clothing just to get attention and show that you are beautiful.

First of all, how is it slutty for little girls to wear bras? Can someone tell me that? Unless these bras are intimately designed or stuffed with padding to make it look like they have breasts, I simply don't understand what you're talking about.

And allow me to explain my point:

Young, unprepared guys and girls don't have sex simply because they're attractive. They have sex because of poor decision making. We all know the consequences, don't we? Since there are contraceptions and birth control and abortion methods to take advantage of, people are of course going to give into their young, raging hormones (in other words, their own human nature) if they think there is little risk involved. Why shouldn't they? The media is singing to their desires with music, sexuality is rampant on TV and in movies, so on and so forth. Quite frankly, they're not going to learn anything with the new, irresponsible ways of erasing mistakes.

At the same time, society continues to evolve, religion and government are starting to be separated. Today the question stands before us, whether or not it is immoral for younger people to have sex. Think of how much religion and government have to do with that. A lot right? Well anyway, is it really immoral for younger people to have sex? I don't think so; I think it's human nature. But it IS indefinitely irresponsible, when they know they are incapable of caring for a baby. It IS irresponsible for parents and society (yes, society should be informing) to not inform younger people about sex.

So if we inform people about the consequences and so forth, prepare them for their future, where can we point blame, and what can we claim as immoral? Should we infringe the rights of others to protect foolish individuals?

On a side note, I always admired the ancient Japanese samurai culture, merely for their self-discipline. Such determination exists only as remnants in today's society.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know a lot of parents that just let their daughters wear what they want because it's more important to them that their daughters are 'popular' and fit in.

My children are not going to be permitted to dress like whores. I'm not going to force them to be prudish (tends to lead to overcompensation when they're older), but I wasn't allowed to dress that way when I was young and I've always stayed relatively modest. The few times I've worn really low cut shirts or minis I DEFINITELY thought about it the whole time I was wearing it. My mom and Dad made it clear to me that women with class didn't dress like trailer trash. Guess it stuck.

I get disgusted when I see ten year olds at the mall wearing short skirts and lipstick. I want to smack their parents up the back of the head.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Wait, you don't care if they're a whore, as long as they don't dress like one? That seems to be your rationale Bluesummer.

I think instead of dictating kids what they should wear, parents should instead raise their children properly. Any properly raised kid sees how silly the clothing is, these days. Instead of trying to fit in, they'll work for the more important things.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wait, you don't care if they're a whore, as long as they don't dress like one? That seems to be your rationale Bluesummer.

Do you often just blurt the first thing that comes to your mind? Where did I say or even imply that?

Of COURSE it's not okay for them to BE whores. Jesus. Come to think of it, I'd rather they dressed like one than actually WERE one.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have a son, so I'll wait to hear Vash weigh in.

Several friends of ours have girls, tho. They aren't allowed to dress like sluts. I think its all about education. I know my friends discuss the issues with Brittany Spears, etc & how her life has been affected by being a young star.

This is one of the reasons why I don't let my son watch TV. WE are the ones where he gets his opinions from first (so far).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast