I made a post about a guy I met at a club... I was the one to approach him, and we spoke more than anything (no grinding on the dance floor, nothing hot and heavy). He got my number, and then there was a period of a week where he maintained minimal contact until we got to go on a date on Sunday... throughout this strangely MINUTE amount of contact, I was really wondering if he cared...

On that Sunday, we had (what I thought was) a great conversation for a few hours. If it makes any difference to relay a bit of what we spoke about, it seemed to be a mix of genuine interest (wanted to know my background, asked if I'm close to my brother, told me about his family, talked about my M.A. program, his work, etc.)... and him being kind of a toughass / telling me he's a "competitive" person / mentioning "an ex-girlfriend of mine" here and there. I wasn't sure what to make of him, but played off of his teasing and sometimes snide comments very well. He was impressed by my apparently "odd level of computer saviness for a girl". We both joked and laughed... *shrug* Seemed like a typically decent get-to-know-you late afternoon.

...granted, I thought he could be kind of an egotistical guy. Moreover, I couldn't really gage what he wanted. Why would he mention ex-girlfriends nonchalantly? Why would he say he's competitive? Does he want a make out buddy in me? Like... I just don't know...

We have our differences, but there were points of relation as well. Suggested a few TV shows the other might like; talked about music; yaddi yadda. I told him, hey, lemme just give you my e-mail so we can exchange music, etc... he programmed it into his phone; asked if I use MSN with it, and I said no... said, later in the night, that he would just e-mail me while he's in Texas on a 10-day business trip (he was to leave on Monday).

So, this was all on our FIRST date, which was on Sunday. He walked me to the subway station and said (not without grinning), "Well, it's a shame I can't see you before I leave on that trip." I shrugged and laughed it off, and told him to tell me how it goes. I gave him a hug and was saying goodbye, and then he leaned into me and started to basically French me. I kissed him back because I liked him, then pulled away and said the first thing that came to mind, which was, "...okaaay!" He grinned and repeated the "okaay" and leaned in again to make out some more. I pulled away shortly thereafter and said goodbye.

Since then, he hasn't emailed me. As I said, he left on Monday for Texas... it's now Friday. No text message, either. No contact period.

Make out buddies only?

If he calls when he gets back and asks to hang out, what in the WORLD should I say to him? I'm considering being blunt (which he seems to like) by telling him that I actually like him and cannot date him on the basis of simply being someone to make out with. And also that I wished he had kept in contact on his trip.

...is this out of place?