+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My girlfriend has social anxiety and I might dump her because of it..

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What Mish said. Also what Lesa said. I think ppl are too quickly given meds for something that is likely just her personality. Esp someone that intelligent and doing well in school.

I know LOTS of science-types who are social retards and are scared shitless when they first start giving talks. Or even decades later. But they learn to adapt & control themselves. WITHOUT drugs.

Still, for the OP, you shouldn't feel bad about breaking up if there isn't a good fit with you two. Just b/c someone is nice & intelligent doesn't necessarily make them a good partner for you. Or you for her, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    What Mish said. Also what Lesa said. I think ppl are too quickly given meds for something that is likely just her personality. Esp someone that intelligent and doing well in school.

I know LOTS of science-types who are social retards and are scared shitless when they first start giving talks. Or even decades later. But they learn to adapt & control themselves. WITHOUT drugs.
    Yeh, I hate this drug infested culture we're in. There's drugs for everything, but they don't cure anything, they're just quick fixes and patches to symptoms, but not cures which eliminate root cause. It's like sweeping under the carpet. And this culture has developed I think, because it's so much easier to do quickfixes than to solve real problem. There's little incentive to solve real problems. The amount of time required to research and investigate the person and their unique needs and then tailor a customizable solution fit just for that one person is phenomenal. Few doctors will want to do it. This is something that requires a true loving dedicatation from a partner or a parent.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Does anyone else think this 'social anxiety disorder' is a real load?
    I do. social anxiety disorder is nothing but a shy person. ADD os BS also, It is nothing but a dumbass who can't sit the **** down. They are trying to give illness names to every condition. Soon it will be OGS.
    I suffer from OGS..overly gay syndrome...cause i am ****ing happy.

What Mish said. Also what Lesa said. I think ppl are too quickly given meds for something that is likely just her personality.
    Yea, 90% of all labeled psychological illnesses. The field of Psychology is just trying to make itself sound important when in reality it is somewhere as important as maybe history. Neurology and the study of the brain has nothing to do with psychology, always was pure science. Sorry if I rent but I have these big shot psychologists who think they are some gift to science that come into my work.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    but what if they were willing to kill someone for those 2 beers?
    We call them murderers, and we execute them. People kill for far worse called paper...you people call it money but it is just paper in reality.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 17-11-08 at 03:42 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You should be out and about in your youth, not sitting at home with a girlfriend deathly afraid of social interaction. If it was me, I'd get rid of her.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

well i dunno if she or you would be interested but i have had a few people rave in conversations about this book called 'the secret'

it's a self help pop psycology book, i haven't read it, but my uncle who is quite shy and college girls i know also rave about it saying it works

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(2006_film[/url])

it seems it's also a film

anyway maybe it will help her get some perspective
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^ the "Secret" is a well-known con eco.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    ^^^ the "Secret" is a well-known con eco.
    it can't be that much of a con, it has made my uncle feel good, so i'm just suggesting if she is feeliing that scared maybe this (whether it be a con or not, i dunno) book would help. who know's ultimately whats going to help, but surely to try something that has worked for others is a good approach?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

well she called me last night crying and scared shitless I was going to break up with her. she even asked if I was sure I wasnt staying with her just because I felt bad for her since she doesnt have anyone else.

i said I wasnt going to.......but i still dont know. i cant tell her I dont know if im going to break up with her...christ

She will deal. Definitely don't give her false hopes. Unless there is something else beyond the social anxiety then she will deal just like everyone else when there is a lost of some kind. You both probably need someone more compatible.

If you are really wanting to end it then do it with the greatest of care. Don't be an asshole about it lol..not saying you would.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    it can't be that much of a con, it has made my uncle feel good, so i'm just suggesting if she is feeliing that scared maybe this (whether it be a con or not, i dunno) book would help. who know's ultimately whats going to help, but surely to try something that has worked for others is a good approach?
    Eco, it's a con

This advice is similar to "You know spagheti monster helped a lot of people, maybe you should ask him for his help"

CB, did you watch this hilarious Chaser's episode on "The Secret"?

[url]http://whatsonthetube.net/2007/05/16/the-chasers-war-week-8-the-secret/[/url]

1. You ask
    2. You believe
    3. You recieve

Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually, I like the main idea behind The Secret: which is basically just positive thinking. I certainly think it works.

Which, coming from someone like Eco, who tells us we shouldn't admit or feel good when we help someone, is totally ironic.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In any case, The Secret did NOT do it first. These guys did (and better too):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo"]YouTube - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life[/ame]

Which, coming from someone like Eco, who tells us we shouldn't admit or feel good when we help someone, is totally ironic.
    wrong. read my posts again. this is getting hilarious.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eco, go read MY post in the other thread. There is NOTHING wrong with admitting to helping others. If you can explain clearly WHY its wrong (other than your opinion), perhaps others will take you more seriously. Right now, however, you are nothing more than a forum party pooper who is doing nothing to improve anyone's opinion of your IQ.

Actually, I like the main idea behind The Secret: which is basically just positive thinking. I certainly think it works.
    It's not just about positive thinking though. If it was I wouldn't have issues with it. It's about thinking that you can ask for anything you want and it will magically be given to you by the universe without you making any effort. It's a ridiculous concept.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast