+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Trying to be realistic...

Trying to be realistic...

I'll get straight to the point. I met a girl online, we started talking, I had feelings for her, but I was quite confused as to how someone online could make me feel so strange. She actually told me that she loved me first, although I had been thinking the same thing for quite a while.. I've been talking to her for about 8 months, only recently did we actually confess our feelings.

I love her, although I'm sure many of you on this forum will deny that it's true love since we have not met. I realize that online relationships are difficult and that if you don't take action and just sit around hoping that some destiny or fate to happen it'll most likely fail. So I have taken action as I already have plane tickets to meet her after this semester.

I probably sound like I'm worried, and I wont lie I am, It's not like I haven't seen her, or heard her voice. We're on webcam and the phone every day. We are both being realistic, we say that we love each other, but we have both agreed to meet in person before we take anything to the next level. I know a lot of people are skeptics of online relationships, and I completely understand as I am myself. I realize that there is a complete chance that this wont work out, in fact the odds are probably against us.

I suppose I should just stop reading about online relationships...All the talk of "it's just infatuation" "doomed to fail" It's a bit depressing, but then I realize that I am who I am, and other people do not know exactly how I feel.

I suppose my question is, has anyone actually gotten into a serious relationship with someone whom they met entirely online? I'm not blinded by my love, I realize that it might not work out, I realize how improbable it is...but I in all honesty love this girl. I will definitely be writing about what happens after my trip in the up coming couple months. I hope I will be reporting good news to you all.

It's not doomed to fail, but it does have its problems.

The main problem is that no matter how often you have talked on the phone or have seen each other on a webcam, the question of "chemistry" can only be answered in person. Period!

I went through that disappointment once ... meeting in person and discovering that there was no spark.

Another serious problem is trying to maintain a long distance relationship ... VERY difficult if it involves airplanes..

Good luck,

Carl.

no it's not doomed to fail. i watched a documentary once about online relationships and what i learned is that they are way more complicated than people give credit for and also many people on the doc found love and commitment that's hard to find in the real world. i would imagine your relationship will be a more genuine one than majority of other relationships, but ye one person is going to have to move if it is to properly work.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching