+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: auto industry.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    that's the thing. demand is low. everybody is broke and homeless and can't afford a ford f150 or an explorer. maybe they could buy it but couldn't afford the insurance, maintenance and repairs, and gas to run the thing.
    I read somewhere that Hummer is in really big trouble because people just can't afford to fill them with petrol.

I think there is a big difference between the cars that people drive in the States in comparison to Europe. In big cities in Europe you see a lot of those tiny smart cars to get into small parking spaces. It appears that cars in general are a lot larger in the States.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My neighbour has 2 SUVs. We were skeptical when they bought the 2nd one a few years ago.

Actually, tho, we are thinking about getting one now. Just for towing heavy things when needed, otherwise we wouldn't use it. The prices are really good right now. Tho its not really worth it for the insurance. Better to just rent as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    My neighbour has 2 SUVs. We were skeptical when they bought the 2nd one a few years ago.

Actually, tho, we are thinking about getting one now. Just for towing heavy things when needed, otherwise we wouldn't use it. The prices are really good right now. Tho its not really worth it for the insurance. Better to just rent as needed.
    I have an SUV for when I go to the mountains. It's a lot safer on the snow and slippery roads.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

While the economic and employment losses are regrettable I have no qualms about the auto industry crashing. If you successfully create an ideal of flaunting cars without focusing on low costs and fuel efficiency - keystones, to be honest - you pay the damn price for it.

Bet we wont see nearly as many SUVs in the future.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    I have an SUV for when I go to the mountains. It's a lot safer on the snow and slippery roads.
    Yes, we have mountains around here too. This is a good point. Taking an SUV up to Whistler would make a lot more sense.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A lot of people in Rochester and Buffalo have SUVs because they perform better in the snow

that's another thing that really bothers me. roads through precious mountain lands.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Cars here are getting smaller and smaller. Everyone use to cruise in big 4WD's and hummers but now people can't afford to run them, same with all the V8's they are cheap as a can of piss now. Least fuel has dropped back down under a $1/L
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    While SUV's are generally better in the snow, it's not like you really need one to get through even a bad winter.

Most towns and cities that regularly get snow have the infrastructure to deal with it, plows, salt, what have you. So the streets are typically cleared in no time.

Secondly, if I can get my little front wheel drive out of 2 feet of hard packed snow without digging (though careful and deliberate maneuvering), then so can someone else.

Now there are of course areas of the country where it would really be nice to have a little more height, and 4 wheels working for you. But remember, we didn't always have these massive tanks and somehow we managed.

Don't get me wrong I would love to buy a V6, 6 speed, 4WD Extended cab Toyota Tacoma to evacuate New Orleans with my belongings and several canisters of gas, but I seemed to have managed with my little Honda with the last evac.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Priuses are for fags.
    Heheh. My friend drives a Prius. And he is a fag. Me, him and some other dude went cruising through DC, got lost, and wound up in the middle of Berry's Farm. About the most dangerous part of the city. There we were, rolling in an easter egg blue Prius, Mega Man music blaring. It's a wonder we didn't get shot. And no, the music was not my choice. As I said, he's a fag.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Heheh. My friend drives a Prius. And he is a fag. Me, him and some other dude went cruising through DC, got lost, and wound up in the middle of Berry's Farm. About the most dangerous part of the city. There we were, rolling in an easter egg blue Prius, Mega Man music blaring. It's a wonder we didn't get shot. And no, the music was not my choice. As I said, he's a fag.
    I would never roll with him again. That shit is scary!
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body...

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Hey Gribble my sister is moving to DC this summer. You and me should hang out sometime and have gay butt-sex

I hate the people that say they want to be green so they buy a damn prius...the factory that produces the nickel for the batteries causes more damage then driving a damn hummer 3x as much as a prius. Don't believe me? Google it.

The factory is in Sudbury, Canada. The damage caused by acid rains was so bad that NASA used it as a testing site for their rovers. The acid rain was so bad that part of a local hill slid down because of the vegetation that was destroyed.

Also properly disposing of those batteries isn't an easy task, and causes a ton of damage. If you don't already know, you're going to have to replace your battery eventually on that prius. Like all batteries they don't last forever. And the price of one of those things is not cheap at all. Figure a few thousand dollars to have one put in.

Think your saving money buying one? Even when the price of gas was sky high, which they aren't anymore, it would have been cheaper to get a small civic vs a prius. In the long haul Prius's are retarded.

If you truly want to go green, get off your ass and ride a bike. I hate the American mentality about riding bikes. Most people:

1. Think you're crazy for riding 20 miles. That's practically a warm up, even for someone that's never ridden before and is in ok shape 20 miles is nothing unless you're climbing a mountain.
    2. Thinks you're poor because you're not driving a car.
    3. Thinks their time is more important than your life.

I've noticed most people that have attempted to take my life or threatened me tend to be driving trucks. Really why the hell are people driving trucks or SUV's? There's virtually no need for one person to be driving one around on the freeway everyday. The only reason someone should have a truck is if they're actually putting it to good use. And poor weather really is not an excuse.

I'm sure Frasbee could benefit from one in his line of work. But even he doesn't have one and is getting along fine without one. I'd love to live in Europe, there's a whole different mentality over there.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 04-12-08 at 08:18 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    I hate the people that say they want to be green so they buy a damn prius...the factory that produces the nickel for the batteries causes more damage then driving a damn hummer 3x as much as a prius. Don't believe me? Google it.

The factory is in Sudbury, Canada. The damage caused by acid rains was so bad that NASA used it as a testing site for their rovers. The acid rain was so bad that part of a local hill slid down because of the vegetation that was destroyed.

Also properly disposing of those batteries isn't an easy task, and causes a ton of damage. If you don't already know, you're going to have to replace your battery eventually on that prius. Like all batteries they don't last forever. And the price of one of those things is not cheap at all. Figure a few thousand dollars to have one put in.

Think your saving money buying one? Even when the price of gas was sky high, which they aren't anymore, it would have been cheaper to get a small civic vs a prius. In the long haul Prius's are retarded.

If you truly want to go green, get off your ass and ride a bike. I hate the American mentality about riding bikes. Most people:

1. Think you're crazy for riding 20 miles. That's practically a warm up, even for someone that's never ridden before and is in ok shape 20 miles is nothing unless you're climbing a mountain.
    2. Thinks you're poor because you're not driving a car.
    3. Thinks their time is more important than your life.

I've noticed most people that have attempted to take my life or threatened me tend to be driving trucks. Really why the hell are people driving trucks or SUV's? There's virtually no need for one person to be driving one around on the freeway everyday. The only reason someone should have a truck is if they're actually putting it to good use. And poor weather really is not an excuse.

I'm sure Frasbee could benefit from one in his line of work. But even he doesn't have one and is getting along fine without one. I'd love to live in Europe, there's a whole different mentality over there.
    True about the precious metals needed for all this 'green' tech. But at least its sort of renewable, unlike hydrocarbons which are basically gone forever (for our purposes) once used. Is why I'm invested in mining companies. Good buy right now for those interested (Mish).

Sudbury is a mining city. Been there. A relative died in a mine accident there, actually. Dirty, for sure. But, to be clear, they've been mining there for decades, not just recently for the new green industry.

Agree about the bicycles vs cars. We've been doing just fine w/o a car for the last several months. I kind of like getting our food at the local shops and markets. But it does take more time and might not be as practical for families with small children. SUVs are definitely not required tho.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Hey Gribble my sister is moving to DC this summer. You and me should hang out sometime and have gay butt-sex
    The first sentence led me to assume you were lookin' to introduce Gribble to your sister.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast