+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boobas thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Those artworks make me inspired & awed at the elite ability that humanity can occasionally express. Find me a monkey or kinder kid who can do any of that. Jackson Pollock is just "meh" & I wouldn't send him out to represent the pinnacle of human artistry to space aliens. Same for those pure white or black-on-black garbage that out there. Artists like that are simply desperate for a new idea to distinguish from their peers & promote their cleverness if they manage to come up with one. That's not great art, IMO. Innovation, yes, but not greatness.

Since you asked.
    The greatest artists of all time were those who studied everything, not just art. Da Vinci was not only an artist, but a chemist, an inventor, an anatomist, musician, writer, a ton of things.

Ernst Häckel was another great artist. I'd be surprised if you've never heard of him, Indi.

Michelangelo, Dali, Dürer, all of them. They studied many things; they didn't just paint pretty pictures for people with money, or desperately start movements founded on poorly thought out and unoriginal notions, for fame/credit.

And you're right, people with artistic talent are rare. They are rare just like intelligent people. But skills and knowledge are mastered through diligence and self-discipline. And you know, the truth is that most people don't want to do very much work at all; they want to live within their comfort zones; go to an ivy-league college, make enough money to get the things that make them happy, maybe start a family, have some kids, and die with a smile on their face.

So you know, it's all about what a person truly wants out of life. And well, art is just a remnant of what a person wants or does.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Ernst Häckel was another great artist. I'd be surprised if you've never heard of him, Indi.
    Not much actually, tho I recognize him as the "ontogeny repeats phylogeny" guy that is taught in undergrad comp anatomy.

Michelangelo, Dali, Dürer, all of them. They studied many things; they didn't just paint pretty pictures for people with money, or desperately start movements founded on poorly thought out and unoriginal notions, for fame/credit.
    Dali, I should have mentioned him. Yes, brilliant. He's one of the few 'moderns' I would call great. His Memory/time works, or something (the melting clocks)? Brilliant painting on so many levels.

So you know, it's all about what a person truly wants out of life. And well, art is just a remnant of what a person wants or does.
    A difficult topic, however. Most ppl never truly figure this out, I think. See my new thread.

Really, if I had to summarize tho, great artists are really Great Communicators, with "other media".

Dali, I should have mentioned him. Yes, brilliant. He's one of the few 'moderns' I would call great. His Memory/time works, or something (the melting clocks)? Brilliant painting on so many levels.
    Why is it always the clocks people like? I've always wondered that.

My favorite by him is "Enigmatic elements in a landscape"

Dali was great because his paintings evolved on a more psychological level. That's why I like surrealism (I also like de Chirico and Ernst)

A difficult topic, however. Most ppl never truly figure this out, I think. See my new thread.

Really, if I had to summarize tho, great artists are really Great Communicators, with "other media".
    Yes, it's another gray area, like religion and morality, and even language to a certain extent.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Why is it always the clocks people like? I've always wondered that.
    Because there is so much psychology in those paintings. I think of something different everytime I look at them. Even a pysch book doesn't do that for me b/c its about someone else's ideas. Persistence of Memory is a thinking person's work. Kind of like looking at the symbol OM, but better.

What kind of psych?

I am tired of rendering. Been switching between two computers and one is too damn slow. It would suck if I am actually late with my work.
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    What kind of psych?
    Time of life sort of stuff.

Anyway boobaa, get your work done. You'll be fine.

Well, we share classes, I see her at school. Yet we are strangers, ignore each other, like we don't exist.
    I've noticed this is a recurring theme in a lot of your posts Boobaa. And funny thing is I remember myself thinking along these lines when I was your age. The good news is that you are not alone in thinking this way and there are some easy fixes that can smooth your journey and guide you through many social obstacles. It's not easy to explain how things will be better for you in the future, because they involve intuition and past experience in social interactions. But it will get easier and better for you with time and there won't be as many strangers in the future. There are a few short cuts, books you can read that will help you to smooth the transition and motivate you to get out there and get the things you are looking for. If you are interested PM me.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I completely agree. But the best messages are those done with skill and elegance. Great art is great b/c the skillset that produced it is rare.

Well, since we are discussing art let me start by saying that I'm simply expressing my OPINION.

That said, the reason I think JP sucks is at several levels but the primary one is that I am not at in anyway awed by his work (and I've seen several now, in person). It doesn't require any special skill. A group of kinders (or monkeys) with squeeze bottles and foam brushes could reproduce it. *I* could, and that is not saying much.

Art should be a combination of message, talent/skill, and novel ideas, as you said. Generally any of those alone is not enough to be great, IMO. Clever ideas is not enough either. While I enjoy a lot of the mixed media & electronic stuff out there, I don't consider them great.

The Sistine Chapel is a great work, both the structure & the art. Most cannot do that. Paul Rubins "Prometheus Bound" is another (tho not particularly appealing to me). Bachs Brandenburg concertos. DaVinci's early sketches of aeroplanes. La Pieta. Need I go on?

Those artworks make me inspired & awed at the elite ability that humanity can occasionally express. Find me a monkey or kinder kid who can do any of that. Jackson Pollock is just "meh" & I wouldn't send him out to represent the pinnacle of human artistry to space aliens. Same for those pure white or black-on-black garbage that out there. Artists like that are simply desperate for a new idea to distinguish from their peers & promote their cleverness if they manage to come up with one. That's not great art, IMO. Innovation, yes, but not greatness.

Since you asked.
    You are forgetting the fact that Pollock was one of a kind, this kind of art was about booming, now its fading because there is nothing to do anymore. Its like classical art in the old days. The reason why this kind of art, all the abstractionism before Pollock, etc, started to raise was because photo camera took away some of the excitement.

Skill is something that can be attached to any occupation. Besides, Pollock had a very good sence of composition. He cut out the pieces that looked good. I've seen all kinds of people fail at this, fail at abstractionism because good composition, which has an influence on the viewer, is quite hard to achieve.
    And at that time, people were used to look at pictures. Contemporar photography didn't even exist then, for me, he bent the concepts of beauty. In fact, he never tried to sell himself, his art, his skill, only skill he had was seeing patterns in coincidences, occasional happenings guided by nature. Its not particulary the outcome itself but the process of how it is achieved, ability to see beyond frames. Now this can be applied to anywhere, wall textures which many photographists have filmed.

Now Rubens was a great artist. Excellent craftsman that had incredible sense for form and colour. Also one of the best still life painters. Basically he was good at almost anything he ever did. But I am amazed that you brought this particular "Prometheus Bound" out, which so many have painted. Why particulary this one? A little bit of american religious influence perhaps?

Anyway, I am interested to see your opinion on Rubljov, if you ever have heard about him in the west... [url]http://www.abcgallery.com/I/icons/rublevbio.html[/url]
    [url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Angelsatmamre-trinity-rublev-1410.jpg[/url]

I am interested if you can be objective about times in history, the level of human society and its influence on art. Today and in the past. Many people compare past stuff to the skillset of completely different era.

However, from later era, I like Kramskoi. [url]http://www.abcgallery.com/K/kramskoy/kramskoy29.html[/url]
    Last edited by boobaa; 13-12-08 at 10:31 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

For the last couple of days I've been feeling like only one thing at the time, relaxed. I still think about that beauty I see in school sometimes, but... meh.
    Anyway, its finals for me too. Or whatever you call them. So today was a better day. One person actually thanked me after I helped him out. It always happens like this, I tell people ideas and they get an A, I leave with B or C. And some people just get an A because they talk too much...
    Don't expect anything.

So, I was drinking out last night with friends and today with a terrible hangover I analyzed the evening and came to conclusion that I am a compulsive liar and a bit too objective sometimes.

Or, emotionless. I mean, i laugh, have a good time, but at the end I treat all the people the same in my head. It seems I am not capable to flirt. I always end up having some deep discussions over something and at the end people rather fall into thought, boys and girls.
    So I began to question myself, am I even sexual enough or just a dry brick? Today i had a wank, as I occasionally do. But sometimes its more like *to do* list than an urge, like today.
    Don't expect anything.

Sixtine Chapel, Rubens. I will type my answer later, I must work now. Bought great amounts of energy drinks to stay up for a few days.
    I'm sure you already know this, but energy drinks are just a quick fix.

If you are having trouble sleeping, try eating stuff that is low in sugar and preservatives. Also, if you were exercising regularly and stopped, your body will have a rude adjustment and it will mess up your sleep schedule pretty bad. Get back on your bike and start running again!

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I really like Pollack but there a many people that don't. After the Australian PM of the time bought Blue Poles there was a national outcry.

So, an update again.

I have stuff to do. But since I am not in a relationship anymore, I feel like I have absolutely NOBODY. Hot weather outside, I sit inside and drink beer, nothing to do. She was adventurous, I like adventures. Although things didn't go as well anyway, I liked her company and now I have absolutely no-one
    I think that kept me going in relationship, that I just have no-one else. She, however, has a backup. Once again I realized I have no friends also, its always me asking people out, aquintances I keep as friends, although they are not really...

When I am in relationship, I feel happy, that I can share my feelings, emotions, and people are happy to recieve what I am thinking. Now its just me and my thoughts. I need to get outside, meet people, but it is hard. Where do I go, with whom? People who care about you are the only motivation for me, to do things, go to work, etc. And now I just have nobody, even my brother is moving to another country. ****.
    Last edited by boobaa; 12-08-09 at 12:19 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Don't you have any hobbies, booba? Maybe you can find some people who share your interests to hang with... I know you are a talented painter. Can't you take some classes? Or join some sort of painter's club?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast