+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Religious Differences

Religious Differences

Greetings, all.

I'm interested in someone, but I've recently found out that she's a pretty religious Christian- she regularly goes to a church group. I, on the other hand, am an atheist.

Now, I have nothing against other religions. In fact, most of my friends are very religious. However, a relationship is different from a friendship, and religious differences could potentially cause problems in the future. Plus, even though I have no major objections to Christianity, a number of Christians object strongly to atheism.

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with this type of situation. I'm still new to dating...

FYI, I'm a college freshman in New York state.

Well, I dunno if she'll be like it but still... there's teachings in christianity about it being a bad idea to date non-christians cos they can act as a BIG distraction, and can cause them to loose faith. But it really depends on what she's like wheather she follows that.
    Another but is i'm a christian and i'm dating a girl who is athiest, it's just she doesn't mind me going to church as she knows that's what i do.
    So i don't think it's really that much of a problem , cpuld good tho because as u don't mind it you could go along with her to make her happy...and you never know

if she is really into her religion, then i say there is no point in pursuing tbh. it will get in the way if you want to have sex. if you are willing to wait then go for it, but at your age i would reckon thats not what you want to do
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

It's a non issue at the moment....you aren't even in a relationship with her. Why worry about it at this point??

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    These things are usually workable until the idea of marriage and babies pop up, and then it becomes a HUGE problem. For this reason, I would advise extreme caution if not an outright dismissal.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by xjadedx View Post
    It's a non issue at the moment....you aren't even in a relationship with her. Why worry about it at this point??
    I'm from a pretty religious area. The issue is bound to come up eventually.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Assuming I say with my current girlfriend, my kids are gonna be so confused.

my friend started dating a Christian girl sometime in March of this year. she dragged him everywhere with her, church masses, church picnic, etc. Convinced him into baptizing. He really tried to go along for 2 month and ended it in May. Basically her church has been really pushing her into working on him.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In theory it should be possible to make this work. So long as both of you are tolerant of the other's right to hold whatever beliefs (or disbeliefs in your case) they wish.

However, religiousity is often inherited from ones parents. So, while you might be able to work this out b/t the two of you, there is a good chance that her parents will take issue with you.

I speak from experience. Some of my husband's family is very religious (not him tho). We have clergy on that side in fact. I keep my beliefs to myself around those individuals I consider intractable. Occasionally I'll be prodded, but I found that for a lot of Christians its the *appearance* of piety that matters. So, we are married, we attend church for major holidays such as xmas (I like the singing, actually) and my son has a very biblical name.

In other words, it can work. But it is difficult. Unless you are very serious about this gal, I wouldn't bother.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You'd think God would stop his shenanigans if he actually considered the amount of trouble he causes on this world.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Shaddup Fras. Not going there (again).