+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What'cha Reading?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

What'cha Reading?

Read any good books lately?

I picked up Mars by Ben Bova. I wanted Red Planet by Heinlen but I couldn't find it at the store. I'm disappointed. I find it hard to believe NASA would send a bunch of dysfunctional, immature and sexually deviant men and women on the first expedition to Mars. I find it equally hard to believe that the female scientists look like buxom models.

Even with a few such beautiful women aboard, how the hell do the men tear themselves away from the greatest adventure of all time just to roll around with some floozy with a Ph.D in biochem? Furthermore, how can you possibly get BORED while making the most insanely perilous trip imaginable en route to a planet never before tred by man?

I'm tempted to put the book down and pick something else up. I feel like it's a story about a bunch of 90210 rejects ****ing their way through space.

Oh, and I got an early Christmas present in the mail. A four volume collection of Three Kingdoms. One of the four most seminal books in Chinese literature. Looking forward to tackling it. I'm going to be quite busy this holiday season.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde). Quick read, I enjoyed it. Lord Henry Wotton is possibly the most annoying literary character I've ever encountered.

ETA: Hahah, I just found out there's an upcoming film version of the book with Colin Firth as Lord Henry. Could be interesting

Also just read A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - quite entertaining.
    Last edited by lovesjoyajm; 15-12-08 at 06:27 PM.

Ugh, Ben Bova is the worst. I read the Mars book ten years ago or so and thought "meh", then I read the sequel and I was pissed. Really, really horrible. I think you have the right idea about putting it down.

I haven't read Red Planet by Heinlein, but have you read Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson? Those were really good.

Right now I'm reading Alan Watts' autobiography. Just finished a book of "regular fiction" short stories called Emperor of the Air by Ethan Canin. There were some really good stories and some so-so ones.
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    --Nandai

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
    Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson? Those were really good.
    +1

And for Alan Watts. Interesting stuff.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm finishing Obama's book. Reading a couple of books about classroom discipline & Fuzzy Thinking. And a bunch of magazines.

Waiting for Cherryh's Cyteen II to come out in Jan.

Three Kingdoms sounds interesting. Say if its any good. Most Asian stuff is 'meh' for me. Tale of Genji was boooooring.

Rik Mayall's "autobiography" "Bigger than Hitler better than Christ". It is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I cried tears of laughter.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have not read Red Mars. That's actually what I thought I was getting when I picked up Ben Bova's slopfest. I got the titles mixed up.

I also have Cyteen wedged into my bookshelf waiting to be read. I picked through the first chapter or so and, while it seems somewhat dense, I like what I saw. The translation of Three Kingdoms that I have is supposed to be fairly modernized and enjoyable. I can't stand dull translations. I realize that some of the meaning slips through the cracks but better that than a long, dull, awkwardly written behemoth of literature.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Cyteen will be much better than those Chinese books, I promise. Its one of the few Sci Fit books I reread occasionally, its that good.

And you'll LOVE Emory's take on sex.

Plus Cyteen II is coming out soon, like I said. So good timing there.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I read loveforum.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I read loveforum.

Therein lies the problem...

I just read the books under the Christmas tree - Marley and Me, and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Marley and Me - eh. Pretty bland writing, and the thing I hate about memoir-type books is all the random stories that don't contribute to the "plot". In great books, these are the things that make them worth reading, in mediocre ones, they're killer.

A Thousand Splendid Suns was great. Still a little too sentimental at the end (though not nearly as much as in Kite Runner.)

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post

A Thousand Splendid Suns was great. Still a little too sentimental at the end (though not nearly as much as in Kite Runner.)
    I preferred Kite Runner, except I agree that the end was too sentimental. Had the book gone on any longer, I would have probably ended up hating it.

I am reading "A Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination".
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    Therein lies the problem...
    I probably should stop foruming.

I follow this, and an electrician's, and a videogame forum.

I'm not exactly sure how to stop without cutting it out completely.

-shrug-

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    I just read the books under the Christmas tree - Marley and Me, and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Marley and Me - eh. Pretty bland writing, and the thing I hate about memoir-type books is all the random stories that don't contribute to the "plot". In great books, these are the things that make them worth reading, in mediocre ones, they're killer.

Oh..don't get me started on that Marley and Me. I am an animal lover so I thought I would love the story. It totally pissed me off. His dog is close to death so he ditches it at a vet and goes on holiday? He gets a friend to knee his dog?

But..it is a best seller and now a movie so this guy is rolling in money.

i am reading We the living by Ayn Rand.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast