+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just need a rant :(

I just need a rant :(

So I sent in an application to Home Depot about two days ago. I went in and filled it out online and had to do a survey. The survey mainly consists of questions of your own opinion. So I gave my honest opinion on there.

So my friend told me they didnt hire me because I failed the survey. What I'm pissed at is that I was honest, and they always complain about having untrustworthy employees.

I know you're supposed to tell them what they want to hear, and I didnt do that. I'm just pissed though, why is the world like that? Why do they look for the liars when they got a straight up person here? I was completely honest with them and they dont like that, but when the person who lies their ass off to get in(The questions were so obvious to tell whether they lied just to get the job or not), they get the job. It shouldnt be that way. At least they'd know what to expect from me if I were to be hired.

I find it hard to lie because when I do finally get the job they will end up seeing the opposite. I would end up forgetting the lie I formed in the first place and then it would come to bite me in the ass.

I'm just pissed because they hire a bunch of liars and complain about how they cant trust them but they dont hire the people who were honest and those are the people who are trustworthy.

I dont know if I'll ever get a job cuz if I lie to them I would feel a bad feeling in my gut for the rest of the day and if I end up getting the job I'd feel guilty. I guess I have to suck it up and lie to these people since thats the only way you can get paid around here.

I hate job hunting. It ****ing sucks.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Umm. Are you shure it is about honesty? Maybe its about the answers? If the past is shit, it doesn't matter if you are honest, it doesn't make it better. Can you be honest with yourself?
    Don't expect anything.

No the survey had nothing to do with my past. I only had one job in the past. The survey asked questions about leaving the job if you got a higher paying job(thats the only one I lied about cuz I know that would be a guaranteed no if I said yes), it asked for my opinion on doing certain jobs and etc. I truly dont remember all the questions but the answer either had to be Strongly agree,Agree,neither, Disagree,Strongly disagree, so it has to be of your own opinion. So because my opiniion differs from their's, they wont hire me.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

So you disagreed to do some of the tasks? Is that the reason?
    Don't expect anything.

Nisha, I have never been honest on the surveys. The are not trying to date you, they are employers, and you have to give them what they want. The most important step is to get hired, and afterwards act out what they want to see in their employee. You can not allow yourself to be yourself unless you are your own boss. It's just one of the many lessons in life. Get over it and continue with your job search. What can you do well? How good are you with math? Communication skills?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

No I didnt disgaree to do some tasks, it wasnt like that. It's hard to explain, I'd have to do it all over again to show it to you.

I understand Indignant, I was just ranting about how the world goes. I dont think it should be like that. But my opinion doesnt matter, so i guess if you cant beat em, join em.

No, babe, I wasn't trying to sound condescending. Only trying to help. You are a very good looking girl and that can take you a long way in life (it does help on many occasions).
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Take this as a life lesson. No employer wants honesty from an interviewee. They'll say that. But that's bullshit. They want you to tell them what they want to hear. Dumb bosses don't even realize it (At the Home Depot level 99% of them are dumb). Smarter ones are just checking if you're clever enough to know the game and willing enough to play it. It sucks but that's how it goes.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Alright, well I'm gonna try to lie about it for the next one. I really need a job at this point so I will try and do what I got to do to succeed. Thanks for you guys' input.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I tried to get a job at Home Depot when my kids were younger because I wanted to get a discount on home improvement supplies. They would only hire me as a cashier, so I passed. I'm pretty handy, and I didn't like the idea of standing at a cash register all day when I knew more about laying tile than the dummy they had working in the tile department.

Anyway, yeah - you've got to tell them what they want to hear. They aren't trying to find out if you are honest - they are trying to find out if you are smart enough to figure out what they want to hear.
    Last edited by vashti; 20-12-08 at 03:04 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

you have to lie. lying gets you ahead in life.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I will rather die. I am ready for it.
    Don't expect anything.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've lied and exaggerated my ass off on those application/surveys

I've also lied and exaggerated my ass off at interviews.

And it is the only way to get a job.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I feel for you nisha. The job application process is complete bullshit. The college application process was similar bullshit

The only people who actually have to fill those things out truthfully are people applying for government jobs and need security clearance. Every other survey that asks those questions... the employers are just looking for lies with no way of checking. So its pointless

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nisha, a bit of advice about 'tests' of this sort:

NEVER, give an answer that is smarter (or in your case, more honest), than the person marking the test.

Honesty is one of those concepts that ppl SAY they want, but only because...well... it wouldn't make them very honest if they said they didn't.

Kind of like the "I am a liar" paradox.

Don't feel bad about this job app. Chances are, anyone who might actually appreciate your honesty never got a chance to see it.

Get a *name* of someone in their corporate office. Send them your resume personally. I guarantee they will consider you. I look at every resume that comes to me personally b/c I know they had to do some research to find me. Shows initiative, and that is a valuable trait in an employee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast