+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Anxiety: A struggle to keep feeling

Anxiety: A struggle to keep feeling

I'd appreciate some advice and help with managing my feelings. No advice is unwelcome. Specifically I’m talking about Anxiety. What I realize is that Anxiety can be either good (like anticipating a cool movie, seeing my nephew for Christmas, or going on that great vacation) or bad (like worrying that someone I love doesn't love me, that I might fail at that really big project or that I'll never have a healthy happy relationship). I know for me personally I need to feel anxiety to feel whole and happy. What I'm struggling with is how to properly manage the bad anxiety so that it doesn't escalate to an unhealthy level. I'm positive that even the bad anxiety is needed to some extent but for me it sometimes gets way too intense and I lose control of my feelings particularly, fear and guilt. I’ve successfully suppressed my anxiety but not selectively, it all gets suppressed, good and bad and that just shuts me down additionally I haven't been able to turn it back on without some dramatic external event. Its the worst place for me to be, I'm unable to enjoy anything and feel like I'm wrapped in tinted plastic wrap 24/7. Was like that for several years and I don't ever want to go there again. Please weigh in with advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Hey there. Just wanted to let you know that I have been thru this phase in my life before. I have had Anxiety for almost 11 years. With that came along depression. About a year and half ago, i went to see a psychiatrist and psychologist I was able to lower my anxiety by knowing who I am and expressing how I feel towards my doctors. I was also put on medication (lexapro) which really really helps. However I wanted to stop being dependant on medication so I stopped, and now my anxiety is coming back.

What I would suggest you to do find someone that you can express your feelings to. It was hard for me, as I had to really dig deep in. But I am sure you can do it!

Other methods that I was taught was to do exercises, yoga, and even hypnosis. These methods will help you achieve a "balance", a very neutral feeling.

I hope this helps.
    The Lord Frasbee Almighty judged me. And he judged me as a sinner of signatures. And it was good.

Thanks, I have been talking with friends and family a lot about this and the things in my life that have really brought this out. It feels like it's going to be a work in progress and probably won't happen as fast as I want . So far asking people I trust who have the time to listen has helped tremendously. This is a huge step for me 'cause I've always been the one people come to and it was much harder than I thought to ask for help myself. It still seems a bit weird to me. That's one of the reasons I'm posting here, as an excercise in asking for help for me.

I agree, find someone to talk to. I have a lot of the negative anxiety and I feel so much better when I can talk to one of my friends, or write it down either on paper or online where I can choose to delete it if I like. It just helps to get it out is all, it tends to strangle you when it's kept inside.
    "Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon a table" ~ T.S Eliot