+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity

Obesity

Is anybody overweight, not happy with their image, or know somebody who is obese? I am trying to shed a few pounds (ultimate goal is 15 pounds), and it is inspiring to hear other peoples success stories. I have visited a few forums, and also researched on what people go through, the embarrassment and denial of being overweight or obese. It is of course epidemic in the United States, but is becoming a big problem in Europe also!

I think culture and lifestyles have changed over the decades, when kids use to go out and play, now we just sit at home and play video games, watch television, and eat fast food and drink soda.

I have started to study nutrition, and I'm learning that there is so much misinformation out there. It really doesn't take rocket science on how to loose weight. Simple answer, burn more calories than you consume.

But why do you think it is so hard for people to lose weight? What do you think we should do as individuals to help this problem?

I have a weight problem myself, but Im sorry I dont have a success story lol.

I realized that when I dont eat, i gain weight, but when I do eat, I lose weight. Right now I am beginning to love how I look, cuz I was bigger before. I still dont watch what I eat, because I never do stick to it. I eat a few times a day, do sit ups and arm rotations, and I go for a walk late at night, and it helps me.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

As an individual I make sure I do not become obese. Burn more calories than you consume is seriously the best answer. I also try to avoid fast food—especially the burger. Exercise.

If I had children, I would mainly give them nutritious meals like my family did for me. They will rarely have “junk food”. They will also stay active and not sit at home watching television or playing video games all day.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Lol...even video games have become active lesa. The Wii gives me a work out.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Yeah, I was going to mention it but was being general. My best friend and another friend got the Wii as Christmas gifts. They are very excited. My bf is extremely active and likes the Wii too. However, the children will not being sitting and playing video games all day.
    Last edited by lesa; 27-12-08 at 04:30 AM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

i exercise to FitTv, channel 261 on DirecTv.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Lol I know Lesa, I was just kidding. But I totally agree and understand. I dont want my daughter to ever become obese, I'd be disappointed in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    I have a weight problem myself, but Im sorry I dont have a success story lol.

I realized that when I dont eat, i gain weight, but when I do eat, I lose weight. Right now I am beginning to love how I look, cuz I was bigger before. I still dont watch what I eat, because I never do stick to it. I eat a few times a day, do sit ups and arm rotations, and I go for a walk late at night, and it helps me.
    Seeing you from the videos, you are not obese. At all.

But when you didn't eat, did you have lesser energy also? Maybe you had less energy and so you decided to rest all the time?

Eating is ok imho. I think it is more important that you find something to do. Not just gym where you can go to, but like a work which requires being on foot all the time, running around. And maybe then you don't even have time to eat? So your mind is actually buzy too, because that is actually a big resource divider.
    Of course it is hard to lose weight. Its not just about doing a diet once in a year, you actually have to change your LIFE, your habits, way of thinking. Work just might help it.
    Last edited by boobaa; 27-12-08 at 05:41 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

Well currently I'm on christmas break from school, so the amount of walking that was being done to and from school has been put on hold til January. I dont feel I'm obese, but I am overweight for 5'6. I'm actually like 200 pounds. I dont look like it, but I am. I dont really like to go by pounds, because I liked how I looked at 140, which is how I looked in the pic in my bathing suit in the gallery. Keeping active is something I like to do.

When I didint eat, i was always laying in bed watching television, doing nothing except when I got up to head to school.

Currently, I know I'm not doing a good job at trying to lose weight. But i think for someone who still isnt eating healthy, and is exercising and still losing weight, I feel I'm doing somewhat good....unless something is wrong with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    i exercise to FitTv, channel 261 on DirecTv.
    Damn it, I was going to cover myself and say that too!

<<as long as you are active it's fine>>

Mass-obesity is another byproduct of consumerism/industrialization of society... more indirectly, however. Or to put it in the impression of Confucius, man that don't hunt for food, turn into fat cow himself.

Oh god, what a tacky joke.

Anyway, I am technically overweight. About 20 lbs. But that's in comparison to everyone else, and according to BMI. I actually look fairly skinny. And the fat is collecting where the muscles are shrinking because I am not as physically active as I used to be. It doesn't bother me too much. I used to be really self-conscious about it, though.

But you know what I am sick of seeing? Apex centers everywhere, and fat-loss commercials on TV. I'm sick of seeing 'human enhancement' products. Just let people slowly kill themselves with the slow death of fast food. Let them die off until stem cell researchers mass-produce fountains of youth. Let people have their fat sucked out and silicone stuffed in. Then apply the makeup and fake nails. Let people fabricate their idea of perfection.

More and more I see those ****heads who can't even go 100 meters to the store without a car..

****, I was with a one meal per day practicly, for my all school life. Riding bus every morning to another part of town, I actually had to run always because I slept in heheh.
    Don't expect anything.

Lol I hate when people cant do anything without their car. It's so lazy. I've witnessed people in my life get in their car to go across the street. I tell them they are lazy as hell for that lol.

When school starts back, I've got to start walking to the bus stop again, which is about a mile, then when reaching to town I have another probably half mile walk to go. Then after school, another half mile to my father's job. This is four times a week with my bookbag and 3 textbooks in my arm. If I am not losing weight from that I dont know what is wrong lol. I know its not that much, but I think its enough for a 4 times a week kinda thing to lose some kinda weight.

My girlfriend is going to give me a heart attack. She risks slipping on the ice every day on her 5 minute walk to the school where she teaches.

Heh, 3 books on hand. Funny, I go to school too and I barely have anything in my bag, now I only have laptop in there..

But when I was in middle school and before that, bag was like 7 kilos and two times thicker than me. I actually do remember struggling to not tip over lol. Nice times. I was a small kid also, of course.
    Don't expect anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast