+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is everyones personal definition of Love?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    When, if close to another person, your body goes haywire for no justifiable reason whatsoever.
    I agree, I just want to edit "no justifiable reason really KNOW FOR NOW but speculated to be hormone chemicals in the brain"
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

""Does Somebody Have to Be Pea-Brained to Fall in Love with Me?"
    As a matter of fact, yes. Scientists tell us only PEA-brained people fall in love. At the core of
    infatuation, they speculate, is a chemical called phenylethylamine, or PEA. It is a chemical cousin of
    amphetamines and gives a similar "kick."
    PEA comes from secretions through the nervous system and bloodstream that create an emotional
    response equivalent to a high on drugs. This is the chemical which makes your heart palpitate, your
    hands sweat, and your insides go all funny. (It is rumored that PEA can also make you want to rip
    your Quarry's clothes off at the first available opportunity).
    Phenylethylamine, scientists say, along with dopamine and norepinephrine, is manufactured in the
    body when we first feel the physical sensations of romantic love. It is as close to a natural high as the
    body can get."
    - Leil Lowndes

phenylethylamine along with dopamine and norepinephrine Is what I believe love is.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietClown View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes. Scientists tell us only PEA-brained people fall in love. At the core of
    infatuation, they speculate, is a chemical called phenylethylamine, or PEA. It is a chemical cousin of
    PEA comes from secretions through the nervous system and bloodstream that create an emotional
    response equivalent to a high on drugs. This is the chemical which makes your heart palpitate, your
    hands sweat, and your insides go all funny. (It is rumored that PEA can also make you want to rip
    Phenylethylamine, scientists say, along with dopamine and norepinephrine, is manufactured in the
    body when we first feel the physical sensations of romantic love. It is as close to a natural high as the
    body can get."
    - Leil Lowndes

phenylethylamine along with dopamine and norepinephrine Is what I believe love is.
    I agree that the body's response to the phenylethylamine released when you have contact is essential to love, but it's not love itself, it's infatuation (literally to be made fatuous or stupid).

In my opinion, love has 3 necessary components, PEA satisfies the first, and in part satisfies the second. The third is uniquely human.

1) Sexual attraction. This is probably shared by all animals (including humans) that reproduce sexually ... It's mother nature's way of perpetuating the species that, except for humans, don't know the relationship between sexual intercourse and reproduction.

2) Compatibility. PEA and other chemicals help with this one by making us see our partner in the best possible light and overlook their faults ... it also creates a false sense of trust. But for humans, real love doesn't begin until we can see each other's faults accurately and decide by the bright light of day to accept them.

3) Commitment. There are examples in nature that mimic this (monogamous birds, blah, blah blah) but commitment is essentially a rational (therefor human) act ... an attitude change. Infatuation is purely selfish. It couldn't be otherwise because your PEA comes from your brain, not your partner's. When you fall truly in love, you change your focus from what makes you feel good, and realize that the relationship is more important than you or your partner because because it makes you and your partner better than either would be apart.

That's what real love means to me.

Carl.

ps ... probably 90% of people confuse infatuation with love (they FEEL the same) ... that explains the horrendous failure rate of relationships.
    Last edited by carl1222; 03-01-09 at 11:14 AM.

There's more to love than those 3 things, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietClown View Post
    body can get."
    - Leil Lowndes

That is love, I agree...I just wanna note the below

But it isn't the stupid sweaty palms or funny stomach feeling..those feel like unwanted side effects...they missed the point....it is the way the person appears, they seem perfect in every way...drugs don't ****ing do that..if so gimme them...I take that freaking addiction.

what is my idea of love?

i love that you asked this question. i must apoligize now because i think my answer may be long haha. i have to admit that i think the idea of love is much an opinionated thing under regulation. meaning, everyone's general ideal of love is pretty similar but then theres specific aspects of their opinion of love that makes it unique and beautiful. thats why this question is a great one. im a 20 yr old guy whos currently making his way into his very first relationship with this girl that has given me my first kiss and all that. i think theres a couple different types of love. for example theres a love you have for someone versus being in love. being in love is a mutual thing that two people have to share. its a bond. if it were a true bond then it should be inseperable. i truly believe thats possible and for you pessimists out there i really think that you all need to stop thinking bout the negatives of a relationship and focus on the positives while still having the negatives you've learned from in the past. anyway, the other love is much easier to attain. to have love for someone could be generalized into subcatigories i suppose by friendship or relatives or for a girl, or if ur a girl, for a guy. but since this a personalized question im gunna make it in the aspect of a girl, since im a guy. what ive experienced as love is hard to put into words, its not this perfect thing that is only happiness. it sometimes is torture to me. i treasure endlessly seeing the girl i love smile. when i see her smile, or laugh ive been brought to tears. maybe thats me being too attached...i dont know, but id like to think of it as a good thing. the reason why it could be torture is because when shes unhappy i go through hell. even if its not my fault that shes unhappy. i tend to attach to the emotions of the person i love so that my emotions are chained to hers. yes, that is an emotinal rollercoaster, but i want to feel how she feels. i think love causes one to be selfless more than they've ever thought they could be, not only that, but they are smiling the whole time they are doing so, no matter what they are doing. i think love is when you go somewhere with that girl and when she asks you if you remember seeing this certain thing and you dont remember because you were looking at her face the whole time.i think love is when this girl comes over to your house and shes miserably sick and you tuck her into your bed and run to the store to buy her food her stomach can handle, even though its new years eve and the store is jammed pack. one person quoted a bible verse....the one that says love is patient, love is kind...and so on. i suggest you all look it up because its so true. just because its a verse in the bible and you dont believe in it doesnt make it untrue. its a beautiful verse that has so much meaning. and i believe if u feel anything that verse says you should feel then ur definately loving that girl. for me, love is when even though your girl is angry and shes taking it out on you, you are still looking into her eyes and weak at the knees. when it never gets old to be with her. and that in itself poses a problem because girls definately want more space than guys feel they need. and i personally always want to be with this girl, ive yet to want space from her. but she wants from me, and ladies...thats why we get upset or hurt when you say you need space. because we dont feel the same way and the understanding of you wanting space doesnt come quickly. (sorry for the side note) girls you need to learn that guys are not usually this rock of non emotion. they tend to be more emotional than girls, they get hurt and they dont forget, the hurt doesnt go away until the next time they see you. you all need to learn to be reassuring because at least for me i get scared all the time im gunna lose that girl. maybe its insecurity, but i think its that im manifested in this girl. shes completely engraved in my heart. i think love has a physically feeling to it. its that feeling where every time your heart beats it feels like its going to explode because that feeling of joy when she jumps out of her car and walks to your door and you are watching out the window waiting for her to get to your door so you can hug her as long as you can. that feeling doesnt leave even after she goes home. but then you start to get sad because the day is over and you dont want her to leave, even though u spent all day with her. at the same time when something happens, when you get in an arguement or you make her unhappy or she makes you unhappy your heart feels like its going to explode with every beat because of the feeling of anguish. and it wont go away till the next time you see her. and you dont want to do anything but see her and feel her. the feeling is so powerful. all these feelings run your thoughts all your thoughts are geared towards that girl. its an amazing feeling yet when the negatives feeling come you get sick. you feel like you are going to throw up, you wake up in the morning and your legs are weak, you honestly dont feel like you can get through the day. and you hit panic mode. your heart rate goes up and stays up, your breathing gets rapid, your stomach churns...its hell. but then the next time you see her, or even talk to her on the fone it all instantly goes away because shes there with you in the now. that feeling of your heart exploding with pure joy, this joy that you still feel in all hells of your other life, when you are doing bad in school, or your work is at a recession and you still say i dont care because i have that girl. oh one more thing. that love is pronounced when that girl comes over and you are embracing her and she looks up at you and the way she does it...you have to do everything you can to stand. every inside piece of you flips and you cant help but kiss her...you have to just laugh a little bit because of all this pent up energy that must leave your body. that is love. that is the love that will never fade.

The definition of love that has always stuck with me is: love is willing the best for another person.

Actually after reading up on PEA(phenylethylamine) it isn't love itself and doesn't make you see the other partner in the best light. That is what I want the answer to and scientists DON'T KNOW YET. It how ever increases sweaty palms and nervous effects...so it helps in the side effects of love...isn't love itself. So does fear and shyness. It is found in high doses in the brains of Schizophrenics and it is in chocolate however is metabolized by a enzyme before ever having any effect on the brain.

I want to know how love singles out one individual(because drugs don't work that way, most are just a on or off and not a target system) and how it makes sure that the feeling is mutual...because it always seems to be.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    I want to know how love singles out one individual (because drugs don't work that way, most are just a on or off and not a target system) and how it makes sure that the feeling is mutual...because it always seems to be.
    This is a kick-ass question, OV.

There is a group at U of C, Martha McClintock & others who are studying PEA and other things. Go to a talk and ask, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    There's more to love than those 3 things, but okay.
    No doubt, doppel ... like being willing to do the work ... but it's a decent framework.

Quote Originally Posted by k2 obey View Post
    i love that you asked this question. i must apoligize now because i think my answer may be long haha. i have to admit that i think the idea of love is much an opinionated thing under regulation. meaning, everyone's general ideal of love is pretty similar but then theres specific aspects of their opinion of love that makes it unique and beautiful. thats why this question is a great one. im a 20 yr old guy whos currently making his way into his very first relationship with this girl that has given me my first kiss and all that. i think theres a couple different types of love. for example theres a love you have for someone versus being in love. being in love is a mutual thing that two people have to share. its a bond. if it were a true bond then it should be inseperable. i truly believe thats possible and for you pessimists out there i really think that you all need to stop thinking bout the negatives of a relationship and focus on the positives while still having the negatives you've learned from in the past. anyway, the other love is much easier to attain. to have love for someone could be generalized into subcatigories i suppose by friendship or relatives or for a girl, or if ur a girl, for a guy. but since this a personalized question im gunna make it in the aspect of a girl, since im a guy. what ive experienced as love is hard to put into words, its not this perfect thing that is only happiness. it sometimes is torture to me. i treasure endlessly seeing the girl i love smile. when i see her smile, or laugh ive been brought to tears. maybe thats me being too attached...i dont know, but id like to think of it as a good thing. the reason why it could be torture is because when shes unhappy i go through hell. even if its not my fault that shes unhappy. i tend to attach to the emotions of the person i love so that my emotions are chained to hers. yes, that is an emotinal rollercoaster, but i want to feel how she feels. i think love causes one to be selfless more than they've ever thought they could be, not only that, but they are smiling the whole time they are doing so, no matter what they are doing. i think love is when you go somewhere with that girl and when she asks you if you remember seeing this certain thing and you dont remember because you were looking at her face the whole time.i think love is when this girl comes over to your house and shes miserably sick and you tuck her into your bed and run to the store to buy her food her stomach can handle, even though its new years eve and the store is jammed pack. one person quoted a bible verse....the one that says love is patient, love is kind...and so on. i suggest you all look it up because its so true. just because its a verse in the bible and you dont believe in it doesnt make it untrue. its a beautiful verse that has so much meaning. and i believe if u feel anything that verse says you should feel then ur definately loving that girl. for me, love is when even though your girl is angry and shes taking it out on you, you are still looking into her eyes and weak at the knees. when it never gets old to be with her. and that in itself poses a problem because girls definately want more space than guys feel they need. and i personally always want to be with this girl, ive yet to want space from her. but she wants from me, and ladies...thats why we get upset or hurt when you say you need space. because we dont feel the same way and the understanding of you wanting space doesnt come quickly. (sorry for the side note) girls you need to learn that guys are not usually this rock of non emotion. they tend to be more emotional than girls, they get hurt and they dont forget, the hurt doesnt go away until the next time they see you. you all need to learn to be reassuring because at least for me i get scared all the time im gunna lose that girl. maybe its insecurity, but i think its that im manifested in this girl. shes completely engraved in my heart. i think love has a physically feeling to it. its that feeling where every time your heart beats it feels like its going to explode because that feeling of joy when she jumps out of her car and walks to your door and you are watching out the window waiting for her to get to your door so you can hug her as long as you can. that feeling doesnt leave even after she goes home. but then you start to get sad because the day is over and you dont want her to leave, even though u spent all day with her. at the same time when something happens, when you get in an arguement or you make her unhappy or she makes you unhappy your heart feels like its going to explode with every beat because of the feeling of anguish. and it wont go away till the next time you see her. and you dont want to do anything but see her and feel her. the feeling is so powerful. all these feelings run your thoughts all your thoughts are geared towards that girl. its an amazing feeling yet when the negatives feeling come you get sick. you feel like you are going to throw up, you wake up in the morning and your legs are weak, you honestly dont feel like you can get through the day. and you hit panic mode. your heart rate goes up and stays up, your breathing gets rapid, your stomach churns...its hell. but then the next time you see her, or even talk to her on the fone it all instantly goes away because shes there with you in the now. that feeling of your heart exploding with pure joy, this joy that you still feel in all hells of your other life, when you are doing bad in school, or your work is at a recession and you still say i dont care because i have that girl. oh one more thing. that love is pronounced when that girl comes over and you are embracing her and she looks up at you and the way she does it...you have to do everything you can to stand. every inside piece of you flips and you cant help but kiss her...you have to just laugh a little bit because of all this pent up energy that must leave your body. that is love. that is the love that will never fade.

It looks like you have a lot to say, k2 ... any chance of breaking it into reasonable paragraphs? I honestly couldn't read it ... my eyes glazed over.

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    This is a kick-ass question, OV.

There is a group at U of C, Martha McClintock & others who are studying PEA and other things. Go to a talk and ask, seriously.
    Good advice Indi ... but I really think people would be better off knowing what love ISN'T It's not love that gets us into trouble ... it's love's evil twin infatuation that does.

Carl
    Last edited by carl1222; 04-01-09 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    No doubt, doppel ... like being willing to do the work ... but it's a decent framework.
    Just making sure that I am not an idiot

Love to me, is caring about someone. You look past their faults, and accept them for who they truly are. Love is more a giving thing than a taking, you want to help that person, you want to be there for them.... you're not just there to take whats given to you.

That's my little definition of love

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast