+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is everyones personal definition of Love?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Love is a chemical cocktail that draws a male and female together long enough to reproduce and (hopefully) care for their offspring until its continued survival no longer hinges entirely upon others. It's a sham. A con. A load of bull.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Its potent tho, even the smartest of us get taken in. Viva evolution, which has millions of years on us, lol.

You'll see, Grib, you'll see... mwhahaha.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

There are at least a dozen definitions of love that I know of, but I find a lot of them irrelevant to me.

I have two main definitions of love, one as a romantic love formula and the other as a greater type of love than transcends all barriers.

Romantic love for me is the simpler one "intimacy + passion + commitment" = Romantic Love"

The other, not so much. In every relationship there are certain omni present realities and components. For example, there is trust. There has to be a trust in relationship, but unfortunately trust is very limited and easily broken and if this is all that holds a relationship together then it will most likely not last for very long.

This is where faith in the person comes in. It's possible to mistrust a person due to something they did (not necessarily something major like cheating, but other types of mistrust - e.g. mistrust of a person's ability to remember or to care), yet at the same time have faith in the person and in their greater good and a possible change. Yet faith is limited as well. After a number of incidents (and in long relationships they do tend to pile up) it's possible to start doubting one's faith in the partner and once again stare in the abyss.

And this is where the love that I mentioned earlier I believe becomes very important. It's possible to lose trust and faith in the person and their ability to become better and change and yet love them for all of their imperfections and flaws and all the hurt they inflicted on you during the years. And this I believe is the true(st), greatest and deepest incarnation of love, this acceptance through the understanding that all of us are imperfect, flawed and capable of hurt. Similar to love for a family. The acceptance by parents of a prodigal daughter or son. Each of us are capable of it, but not without hardship.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Boobaa, if everyone actually believed what you say then why should we DO anything? We are already dead, right? Might as well end your suffering now?

Humans do NOT merely survive. Not anymore. That is my point. If however, everyone did as you say and consider it all 'useless', then that is where we'd end up. Back in caves. Eating raw food filled with parasites. Hiding in trees to escape the other predators.

Sorry Booboo, but you haven't thought this through nearly enough.
    You don't seem to grasp the idea at all. What I meant was, I don't need any meaning to be here or do something. All I do is make myself comfortable while I am here. Get it? My comfort may include some ethics amongst others etc etc, but there is no superior meaning to life or love.

Life for me, has not practicly changed at all, and I doubt it will ever will, I will always do stuff I like, I will do the same things I do now. But its the mentality. You don't grab on to every possible thing because you are supposed to have the most things before you die. You may have, but it doesn't matter if you don't either, we are all going to die and for the face of death, we look all the same.

And that-s what I was implying to, that we are not just surviving, we are actually bored. And then we invent all kinds of meanings to everything for justification.

Talking about reading what you want to read... this applies to you in this particular situation. So why don't you just get your head up from your arse.
    Last edited by boobaa; 06-01-09 at 05:23 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Okay, fine.

So, Boobaa, what you are saying is that you are choosing to be part of the 98% of humanity that advances on the coattails of the other 2%. Personally, I can't ever justify such a choice, if only b/c I am fortunate enough to have one.

I think for consistency's sake you should go live in a cave and club down your raw meat for dinner.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I suppose you didn't get the 'my comfort' part either.

But if that is what you wish to hear/read, then yes. Go boost your ego and eventually die one day with an awesome egotrip that you made something right for someone when in fact, it doesn't matter, life would go on without you and me as well.
    Last edited by boobaa; 06-01-09 at 05:35 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How do you know I haven't made a difference or some progress? How do you know YOU haven't, or won't? I may not be anyone to say I DID make a difference, but conversely, one can't say I didn't either.

A struggling student I take 'under my wing' goes on to become a doctor. A doctor saves a childs life, that child goes on to win a Nobel Prize.

Life is a tangled web of cause and effect, Boobaa. The only thing we can do to optimize things is do the best we can with what we are given.

One day, maybe a work of art of yours will inspire someone with its beauty to NOT go home and hurt themselves, their family, whatever. And maybe that child goes on to do something completely amazing.

You've got a choice, Boobaa, to exist in misery or joy. I don't know anyone who ever got hurt from too much joy in their life.

Think harder. You know what I'm saying. You ARE here, afterall.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    I suppose you didn't get the 'my comfort' part either.

But if that is what you wish to hear/read, then yes. Go boost your ego and eventually die one day with an awesome egotrip that you made something right for someone when in fact, it doesn't matter, life would go on without you and me as well.
    It is interesting that you fight so hard on here to prove a point and defend it even though it doesn't matter. We are bored as humanity, though don't speak for all of us. Those people who spend their lives in mini malls and malls are bored...than there are some who spend their entire life searching for answers and progress humanity further making life better and more "comfortable" as you want it and mentioned it. Than there are some who make their life a goal to hold those people back. It is a stupid life, but it is the only one we got and we all should make the best of it we can and try and influence those around us to do the same. In general humans are pretty sad these days, they would rather have a great pillow invented tomorrow that they can lay on rather than invent a new form of propulsion. Even if that would be invented they would pervert it in some way to make their chair work better. The scientist who invented the technology gets a very small amount and the douche bag who created a business out of that invention gets rich, there is something ****ed up with democracy...in can not be the best form of government..it just can't damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Love is a chemical cocktail that draws a male and female together long enough to reproduce and (hopefully) care for their offspring until its continued survival no longer hinges entirely upon others. It's a sham. A con. A load of bull.
    Now while I do more or less agree, I disagree with it being bull. In fact it is a good advanced system that works and in my opinion is fun as hell. Especially if retards don't get in the way of me being with the one I fall for like the last time. If it is bull, here is an interesting idea, what WOULD you want love to be?
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 06-01-09 at 06:15 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

You know people tend to take that whole "love is a chemical" thing really seriously. But I wonder how many of them have taken a good look under the microscope to see.

I mean, if you do ever get a chance to look under a microscope, you'll find out that everything is broken up into smaller pieces; plants, animals, rocks, air, everything. All chemicals, but forming a complete structure. There are microorganisms, cells, molecules, and atoms. Atoms as you know are made of neutrons and protons and stuff, which turn out to be made of quarks, so on and so forth. In the microorganisms, are even smaller processes and probably even smaller forms of life. We can only see as deep as a microscope will show us, you know. And for that matter, each nanosubatomic particle, or whatever the hell you would like to call them, could contain a whole other universe, or even the same one from a different point in time.

And well, is a frog just a frog, or is it a Litoria chloris Hylidae?

I just think it's silly
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 06-01-09 at 06:13 PM.

I wonder if we exist more like ants... just keeping the perpetual super-organism going that we have created via civilization/society... ?

It's a thought...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    You know people tend to take that whole "love is a chemical" thing really seriously. But I wonder how many of them have taken a good look under the microscope to see.
    Why? have you? actually that is how we found out about all of them. You don't actually think we saw Dopamine with the naked eye do you? As for the rest of your post.. when you reach nano-subatomic particles you seriously created a huge form of laughter for me. Maybe brain neurons are galaxies and subatomic particles are universes right? and maybe space bunnies travel between them via the dead paranormal channel dpsvr jump mechanism...though of course we don't have a powerful microscope enough to prove it yet...cause we know that ALL experiments are microscope based... rest assured..everything you do and everything you feel is because of your brain..and your brain is a huge nerve that runs on chemical reactions and influences... you don't need a microscope really to figure that out. Just some common sense and a working brain to observe how everything behaves. Of course we know nothing yet....except that we perform brain surgeries all the time somehow knowing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    I wonder if we exist more like ants... just keeping the perpetual super-organism going that we have created via civilization/society... ?

It's a thought...
    I wonder if ninja turtles live in my anus. Keeping their mutated bodies going with my methane gas... ?

It's a thought...
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 06-01-09 at 07:14 PM.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i agree that's the primary reason love exists, but I don't think that's any reason to be so disillusioned with it. And neither does it detract from enjoying it. The feelings are still real.

You could trace just about all our emotions back to biological imperatives: empathy, sadness, anger, hatred, joy etc, etc.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    i agree that's the primary reason love exists, but I don't think that's any reason to be so disillusioned with it. And neither does it detract from enjoying it. The feelings are still real.

You could trace just about all our emotions back to biological imperatives: empathy, sadness, anger, hatred, joy etc, etc.
    +1,000,000

yea this is kind of what I was trying to say with my chemical thing all the time, I just couldn't seem to put it into words so well and simple like you just did. We all run on stimulus in the brain, everything we do is chemical or science. To disagree is to go into some paranormal ideas and those have this nasty tendency to be false....ALL THE FREAKING TIME.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 06-01-09 at 07:19 PM.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm more annoyed by the people who think love is this all-powerful force that conquers all. It isn't, and it's no excuse for shirking responsibilities, ruining educations or otherwise absurd behavior.

Love's fine as it is. It just shouldn't be taken so goddamn seriously.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I'm more annoyed by the people who think love is this all-powerful force that conquers all.
    It isn't, and it's no excuse for shirking responsibilities, ruining educations or otherwise absurd behavior.

Love's fine as it is. It just shouldn't be taken so goddamn seriously.
    You tell them Gribble, as I always get comments like I should
    get a girl already and settle down to make someone happy.
    I'm focused on School right now, and that is more important that a
    relationship, since those come & go, but knowledge stays forever.

P.S. I do like dancing with women, don't get me wrong, but it
    doesn't mean that I have to date everyone that I talk too.
    I might miss some opportunities along the way, but it can wait, as
    there are lots of single people in the world that are happy
    because they enjoy life and what they are doing.
    Last edited by Kromat; 07-01-09 at 01:39 AM.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast