+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Good Exercise Regimen

Good Exercise Regimen

I'm about 5'2 and weigh about 125lbs... I'd like to lose 10lbs or so, or merely change some of my weight from fat to muscle (since weight by itself can be misleading). I have been exercising on my own, but for the life of me, I simply cannot remember all of the exercises from high school. So I know my current exercise has been lacking, yet I have lost about 5 pounds and can jog for about 15 minutes before feeling somewhat tired (yes, I know... I'm out of shape, but it's better than when I started).

What are some good exercises that can help a female develop a more desirable shape (i.e. abs, lats, inner thighs, legs...etc)? I love the endorphin high and general feeling of well being from exercise... wouldn't mind keeping myself in good shape (you're only young once)... and just want to look good for my bf (pride thing I guess).
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I can only describe my own exercise regime, it works pretty well for me.I was in the army for nearly 12 years so my fitness habits were kind of forced on me, the army had kind of this one size fits all regiment, but it worked pretty well though I've changed since i left.

Anyway in a typical week I'll do 3 x 6 mile runs in about 51 mins which are fat burning maybe 70% of max heart rate. If you're looking to lose wait this is the best. A good way of telling whether you're at 70% of max heart rate without stopping to check is if you can speak a full sentence ok but anymore and you're gasping for air. It sounds iffy I know but as an indicator its solid. Any higher than 70% and you won't be able to keep it up and you need to do at least 40 mins.

I'll also do 2 x 3 mile runs which are flat out trying to get my heart rate as high as possible. Which mainly aims to work my heart and lungs. Not so important for losing weight.

Years ago I used to do weights but I didn't like the way my body was going, so now every morning I'll do a quick ab session along with a core stability session, which works most of my muscle groups without me turning into a he woman. once a weak I'll also do a short combi chest and shoulders session at the gym which is mainly for my boobs benefit.

So thats what I do, like I said 3 running sessions a week for about 45 mins is a good place to start.

Sarah is right on target...I was going to mention what she recommended.

You can guess where it is by trying to talk while you're running. If it's hard to talk you're pushing too hard, if you're breathing hasn't picked up a little you're not working hard enough. You can also use a heart rate monitor if you have one. Find your target heart range. For a beginner, 15minute warmup run, 30 minute at your target heart rate, 15 minute cool down. Simple to do and someone who's out of shape you don't want to overtrain and get discouraged.

You'll burn the most fat at your target heart range, not at your max. You'll also burn out way too quick, get discouraged, and probably end up back where you started doing nothing.

I really wouldn't recommend weight training if you're looking to burn fat. Cardio is key to burning fat. Not lifting weights. Sure you will burn some with weights...but running, cycling, swimming, or any other cardio-intesive workout will shed those pounds the fastest.

Also weight loss is more than just excercise, it's about eating healthy as well. How's your diet?

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Also weight loss is more than just excercise, it's about eating healthy as well. How's your diet?
    My diet is pretty much one meal a day with about 3 or 4 'snacks.' This isn't something I've intentionally done... just always seems to fall back to this.

The meal is mostly fruits and vegetables... with meat being more or less the smaller portion. I have a wide range of preferences with food, so I like to have all different kinds of foods throughout the week. I may eat red meat one day, fish the next, then poultry... etc.

The snacks are predominately fruits and/or vegetables.

I've noticed that the less I move around, the less my appetite is... and when I exercise it increases up to a certain point and then tapers off again. So rarely do I eat when I'm not truly hungry.

(the weight gain was from when I was married to my ex... he went out to eat the majority of the time... or we had meat and beans or potatoes... not much else -- almost killed my taste buds from boredom)
    Last edited by Aeradalia; 31-12-08 at 11:39 AM.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    My diet is pretty much one meal a day with about 3 or 4 'snacks.' This isn't something I've intentionally done... just always seems to fall back to this.

The meal is mostly fruits and vegetables... with meat being more or less the smaller portion. I have a wide range of preferences with food, so I like to have all different kinds of foods throughout the week. I may eat red meat one day, fish the next, then poultry... etc.

The snacks are predominately fruits and/or vegetables.

I've noticed that the less I move around, the less my appetite is... and when I exercise it increases up to a certain point and then tapers off again. So rarely do I eat when I'm not truly hungry.

(the weight gain was from when I was married to my ex... he went out to eat the majority of the time... or we had meat and beans or potatoes... not much else -- almost killed my taste buds from boredom)
    It helps to have 3 meals a day. When you get up in the morning if you don't eat something soon your body basically says to itself that its not going to get food so it starts to go into fat storage mode when you do happen to eat next. It's complicated and I don't understand it fully myself but that is essentially what happens.

To be honest as long as you exercise properly the only thing you really need to stay away from are saturated fats everything else will get burned up. Also when you start to exercise you'll find your appetite starts to change and you'll start to crave carbs and certain other foods.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah_rsl View Post
    It helps to have 3 meals a day. When you get up in the morning if you don't eat something soon your body basically says to itself that its not going to get food so it starts to go into fat storage mode when you do happen to eat next. It's complicated and I don't understand it fully myself but that is essentially what happens.

To be honest as long as you exercise properly the only thing you really need to stay away from are saturated fats everything else will get burned up. Also when you start to exercise you'll find your appetite starts to change and you'll start to crave carbs and certain other foods.
    Man...beat me too it. Breakfast is the most imporant meal. It kick starts your metabolism and tells your body to start burning fat instead of storing it. I wouldn't be surprised if you lost a few pounds switching that one meal to breakfast instead of dinner...if that one meal normally is normally dinner or lunch.

Also, one meal a day is not enough if you plan to workout consistently. Eating properly and staying well nourished during excercises is very important, especially longer runs/rides. I don't know if you've ever heard the terms "hitting the wall" or "bonking." What they are is basically your body doesn't have the proper nutrition/electrolytes to keep moving. You get nauseas, headaches, sick, like you want to pass out, and your legs feel like you have weights attached to them and you physically cannot go on.

This is especially important during long runs or bike rides. I've had it happen to me a few times out on a long ride where I didn't eat before riding or bring food with me. When you're 30 miles from home and feeling like you want to throw up and your legs just don't work, that's not fun. You go out feeling fine, drink plenty of water, you slowly get tired, then BAM!!! you feel like you're dragging a boat anchor.

Cliff bars are great for this...basically it's carbs, sugars, salts, potassium...electrolytes. Basically what you need to keep going during longer runs/rides. Water alone is not enough.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 31-12-08 at 12:14 PM.