+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Enough of the awkward silence.

Enough of the awkward silence.

So,
    First post on this forum,
    Fill in a little background,
    I'm quite shy, don't have much experience dating, and am quite young sitting at 16.
    So I'v been kinda sorta re-dating a ex of mine,
    We've always had this problem and we can not seem to keep a conversation, and it always ends up in awkward silence.
    so ladies, Is there anything I should be picking up on but I'm not?
    Last edited by QuietClown; 02-01-09 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Ones love can be anthers misery.

ok bro, im a guy but ill give you whatever insight i can. im 19 *with a horrible dating track record* but in my experience when a girl is quiet like that they are either waiting for you to make a move or... thinking about someone else... does she keep eye contact with you?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She's a kid, and she is probably afraid of saying the wrong thing. I suggest you engage in activities that are fun together so you can laugh a lot and have something to do besides focus on awkward silences. For example, instead of sitting around staring at each other, play a game, dance, cook, whatever.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Take her to the movies.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Look up Cain's recent 'date ideas' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    She's a kid, and she is probably afraid of saying the wrong thing. I suggest you engage in activities that are fun together so you can laugh a lot and have something to do besides focus on awkward silences. For example, instead of sitting around staring at each other, play a game, dance, cook, whatever.
    Miniature or putt-putt golf! A great conversation lubricant, even if it's just teasing each other about a bad shot ... just remember to praise her for a good one!

Also, any shared quasi-dangerous situation (like rock climbing or roller coaster riding) is great for bonding.

There are a million things to do together! Each time you try one, it gives you something to talk about. Also, find out what blows her hair back, and learn something about it. If you find it interesting (don't pretend) talk about it ... encourage her to do the same for you!

I especially like vashti's cooking idea ... If you can cook and she can't, teach her. If she can cook and you can't, let her teach you. If you both can cook, gently compete! Cooking together is an intensely bonding experience ... even if it's just a tray of chocolate chip cookies.

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 02-01-09 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo89 View Post
    ok bro, im a guy but ill give you whatever insight i can. im 19 *with a horrible dating track record* but in my experience when a girl is quiet like that they are either waiting for you to make a move or... thinking about someone else... does she keep eye contact with you?
    Yes, she dose.
    Just about all outside activities are pretty much shot, theres about 3 feet of snow outside, and its sitting at about -40 C
    But I like the rollercoaster idea, Thank you,
    I wasn't really expecting such a response.

I'm not a female but I think I can help a little.

-40C!?!?! What? Im guessing you are just saying it is insanely cold.
    Go out sledding! Go take her bowling. Although a lot of people take dates to movies I think it is a bad idea since you cant really talk to them during the movie. you want to go on a date where you can talk and have a good time.
    And yes like they said just sitting there is never that great since you are left with awkward silences. Board game? Twister is always fun

Quote Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
    I'm not a female but I think I can help a little.

-40C!?!?! What? Im guessing you are just saying it is insanely cold.
    Go out sledding! Go take her bowling. Although a lot of people take dates to movies I think it is a bad idea since you cant really talk to them during the movie. you want to go on a date where you can talk and have a good time.
    And yes like they said just sitting there is never that great since you are left with awkward silences. Board game? Twister is always fun
    Yes, -40 with out wind,
    and i agree with the movies,
    but I'v got a bit of a bigger problem now anyways so I'll try and deal with that one first.

make out with her during those silences! lol
    [url]http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/GoldenGreek75/[/url]
    ^my pride and joy^