+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: God Designed Sex for Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by jslaughter
    try to find the verse where it says premarital sex is a sin - there's alot about sex in the Bible but it never comes out and says that sex outside of marriage is a sin.)
    There is a lot of talk in the bible about fornication and from my memory, (bible teachings a LONG time ago, so forgive me if I get this wrong), fornication was interpreted as sex before marriage. And it states that if you can not control your lust, then you should marry to avoid fornication, which apparently is a sin. But Jules is right, it doesn't exactly say "thou shalt not, blah blah blah". The bible seems to deem adultry a far worse sin than sex before marriage. It also holds purity and virginity in high regard before marriage. I think it's found in Corinthians, but I don't know exactly where. (Jehovah's witness showed me once.......bizarre).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironliftr3
    I'll repent on my death bed, or the day I get married. Whichever comes first. (or are they one and the same??)
    Ouch Iron! That stings.
    Last edited by Breezy18; 11-06-04 at 10:58 AM.

Breezy, you are absolutely right. There is no where in the bible that gives a one line 'premarital sex is a sin', however, it is an interpretation from several passages, and more of an implication that sex without marriage is a sin. Anyone who argues that Christianity deems premarital sex as sin is flat out WRONG.

That being said, I think this post's theme changes from 'who believes in, and follows, "Christian values"
    Because a hard man is good to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironliftr3
    Breezy, you are absolutely right. There is no where in the bible that gives a one line 'premarital sex is a sin', however, it is an interpretation from several passages, and more of an implication that sex without marriage is a sin. Anyone who argues that Christianity deems premarital sex as sin is flat out WRONG.
    Hey I posted that yesterday!!!! Perhaps my including Bible Passages in my post threw you off.

However, there's alot of stuff in the Bible about sex and purity, etc but there is NOTHING that comes out and says that premarital sex is a sin.

Breezy - thank you for educating me I didn't realize that fornication applied specifically to sex outside of marriage but you are correct it does - is this the passage that you were quoted:

"Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

Its the one most churches use to stregthen their postion as Sexual Immorality is a pretty wide umbrella.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

I'd like to go ahead and end this discussion right now. God did not design sex for marriage. If God had then animals would have the mental capacity to undergo this ceremony binding one to another for life. On the most basic level of the argument originally made by sweetie this ends it. Sex was not designed for marriage. Marriage is a human made ceremony and was designed around the love of two people.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Where I don't technically disagree with you Zekk, as 'sex' was 'designed' for procreation, be it man, or animal. But, I think the point is that God's word says that it is a sin, and immoral, for man, who is supposed to be a thinking, rational, being with choice, to have sex out of wedlock.
    Because a hard man is good to find.

What I find interesting about this "debate" is that there are several levels to it, and from a STRICLTLY Christian stand point - - there is no place in the Bible where it spells out that premarital sex is a sin. In fact the NIV version of the Bible doesn't even use the word Fornication. (Though Fornication is all OVER the King James Version) So it would seem even Christians are split on this one!

Exodus 20:3-17 - is the 10 Commandments and adultery made the list premarital sex did not.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Breezy - thank you for educating me I didn't realize that fornication applied specifically to sex outside of marriage but you are correct it does - is this the passage that you were quoted:
    "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
    yeah, that sounds familiar, but there are a couple of quotes that specifically say if you want to have sex, you should get married first. I Corinthians 7:9 "But if they cannot contain, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn"
    But don't expect too many quotes from me, it took me a while to find THAT one. lol
    Iron, I agree with you. I believe sex was designed, (aside from the plumbing which obviously was designed for the sole purpose of perpetuating the species), for more than offspring. There is an emotional attachment humans feel when they perform the act of love making. It draws them closer to each other. This, I think, sets them aside from other animals. Seriously, when I see a guy that I think is hot, I don't say, man I'd like to make some babies with him! lol

What I find interesting about this "debate" is that there are several levels to it, and from a STRICLTLY Christian stand point - - there is no place in the Bible where it spells out that premarital sex is a sin. In fact the NIV version of the Bible doesn't even use the word Fornication. (Though Fornication is all OVER the King James Version) So it would seem even Christians are split on this one!

Exodus 20:3-17 - is the 10 Commandments and adultery made the list premarital sex did not.
    That is very true. "fornication" as you call it is not listed with in the ten commandments, but that dosen't mean that it's not wrong. I never said that sex before marriage was a sin, but I do believe that it's wrong. The ten commandments also don't list having sex with a bother, sister, or another family member as a sin but do you really need to be told not to do that specifically too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk_T_Strife
    I'd like to go ahead and end this discussion right now. God did not design sex for marriage. If God had then animals would have the mental capacity to undergo this ceremony binding one to another for life. On the most basic level of the argument originally made by sweetie this ends it. Sex was not designed for marriage. Marriage is a human made ceremony and was designed around the love of two people.
    That may be your oppion but this is not true. Now you can't compare man and animal with sex. Sex for animals is strictly for re-producing, cause they just look for the biggest and best looking to have sex with- though some people are like this too sex in humans was made for more than just reproduction. It is made for love and reproduction both.

Quote Originally Posted by MVPlaya
    At no point did I "immaturely" "demean" or "bring down Christianity." You stated you were religious, I said I wasn't, if thats demeaning, you need to wake up. Furthermore, fact: only 1 / 3 people are Christian. I don't get where you see the demeaning in that.

Now, I did interpret you as preechy, because it started out on this "I believe in god and he says its wrong" (ergo "you're sinning") line, if that wasn't your intent. Sorry. But the way that comes across I'm going to point out that when you criticize people based on your religious ideals, I'll point out that 2 / 3 people don't agree with your ideals. Try and point out where I demean christianity.

Besides, I did tell you what I thought and addressed your arguments.
    Well I pitty the 2/3 of people who aren't Christians and who won't open their eyes to see how much God has done for them and how much he loves them. All I will say to the rest of your crap that you wrote is that I hope you find your way in life and become a Christian cause if you don't you'll wish you listened to me. And no that's not a threat but it's just how it is.

John 8:7 . . . "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Matthew 7:1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

I was trying to avoid puting too much scripture out there - but still making my point. I thought Sweetie would know John 8:7, but Matthew 7:1 also make the point. (However, if you are into that whole Bible thing - try to find the verse where it says premarital sex is a sin - there's alot about sex in the Bible but it never comes out and says that sex outside of marriage is a sin.)
    It never comes out and say's that you shouldn't have sex with your mother either but i think that's pretty wrong too. Dont' you?

For the most part I don't think felt that you were being "preachy" - I believe most people were engaging in a healthy debate of the issue that you brought to the board, and in the style that I have grown to respect from my peers here - we talked about the issue and around the issue and for the most part a good time seems to have been had by all.

I'm not sure what this statement meant - were you just looking for a head count of who agreed with you and who didn't? it never really works that way around here.

I would refer you to John 8:7 - ultimately we are each responsible for our own actions.
    Exectally. Maybe you should read more into that. If you can quote the scriptures you should also look the one up that says God is comming back and the only people going with him is Christians.

Sweetie? Why would you post this thread if you didnt want to hear anyones thoughts or opinions on this...and then just to turn around and TRY to say people are wrong?

I wouldnt get in on this debate because everyone has their own ideas about this and then it just ends like has-back and forth...never ending. To each their own.

But I dont think its fair that you have lets say attacked those for who have genuinely taken the time to respond and put forth effort into their posts...what is it that you think youre doing right now yourself? YOu are judging those people-and thats not Christian like behavior.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    Sweetie? Why would you post this thread if you didnt want to hear anyones thoughts or opinions on this...and then just to turn around and TRY to say people are wrong?

I wouldnt get in on this debate because everyone has their own ideas about this and then it just ends like has-back and forth...never ending. To each their own.

But I dont think its fair that you have lets say attacked those for who have genuinely taken the time to respond and put forth effort into their posts...what is it that you think youre doing right now yourself? YOu are judging those people-and thats not Christian like behavior.
    Ok that's true I did wanna hear what other people think about it and yes i believe that if people don't think the way that i do about things like this then they are wrong. I guess the best thing for me to do would be to just listen to what they have to say, cause everyone by now know's what i think about it and has formed an oppion about me, and frankley if they hate me i really don't care. But I do wanna hear what other people that aren't christians have to think. And no i'm not judging people. I havent' said that you are a bad person to anybody. I don't want anyone to think that i'm judging them ok cause i know that everyone and yes including me have their faults and no one is perfect i just get very upset when everyone brings down God, he is the one that created us and gave us everyhting that we have and don't have and when people say bad things about him it really upsets me. Anyway continue with you're thoughts and i will try to say less about them.

Wow, this debate seems to be going on forever. Its as if this is an endless subject with no actual purpose. Since everyone has there own thoughts and there own generalizations on what is right. Everyone in society is an individual. Which meanss everyone has there own right to do and think what or whichever they want to think.

In my beliefs I believe that "god" may have existed at one point, yet there is no factual or scientific method that actually shows this. I don't believe in the "he created earth" thing either. I think I'm more into the science theory's of how earth was created. Its more factual and evolution has shown this throughout the countless century's. While its harded to believe that one man could create earth in 7 days. Sounds more like a childrens story then the truth.

I'm going to stop writing for the moment. Since religion is a topic that annoy's me to no end.

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast