+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Great TV show to keep your spirits up

Great TV show to keep your spirits up

I found a TV show about a week ago that I've been watching. It is a great show to keep your spirits high in hard times such as a break-up.
    It is called "Secret Millionaire". I highly suggest it to everyone and especially those hurting now as it shows true human compassion.
    A brief summary of the show:
    Multi-millionaires leave behind all their possessions, their money, and their lifestyle to live in the extremely poor and run down neighborhoods. There they live the lifestyle that everyone else there lives. They are given the same amount of money as people on welfare, they live in a run down house, they work based on how much money they need that day, and most importantly they get out and volunteer at places such as soup kitchens and shelters.
    Here they meet the wonderful people that run the place and they meet people that are in need. After living in these conditions for a week they reveal their true identities and give out at least $100,000 of their own money to people they believe deserve it.
    I have watched 5 episodes so far and they are all quite amazing and in a way they give you hope.
    You can watch them at hulu.com

Does anyone else know any other uplifting TV shows or movies? I heard american beauty is a pretty good movie during hard times.

If you haven't already seen it, watch Sliding Doors. I watched it last night and it's very inspiring. It shows two scenarios in our herione's life. In one, she goes home early from work and catches her boyfriend in bed with another woman. She breaks up with him (of course) and her life turns around ends up being amazing.
    In the second scenario, she misses the train and doesn't find out about the affair. She stays with her boyfriend and her life ends up being miserable.

Certainly helps if you're having a hard time getting over a break up and it's really inspired me

Meh, so they secretly slum for a few weeks and then surprise give out money? Why don't they offer something better than their money, why don't they offer guidance, mentorship, and hope. If you give an idiot $10,000 they're going to waste it.

Want to find something uplifting? Turn the damn TV off and go volunteer yourself instead.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Lite they dont just give the money to idiots. They give the money to people that help out the community, guide others and give hope to others. They do this because most of the millionaires probably wouldnt know where to start when giving someone guidance so they give money to people they know that will help. I just saw one where the millionaire gave $100,000 to a shelter for abandoned teens to help them get a new shelter because their current one was bought out.

Also it does inspire tons of people to go out and volunteer. It actually inspired me to go out and volunteer at my local food pantry.

Quote Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
    Also it does inspire tons of people to go out and volunteer. It actually inspired me to go out and volunteer at my local food pantry.
    That's good to hear, but I've been volunteering for years and I didn't need a TV show to inspire me to help the community. It's kind of pathetic when it takes a reality tv show (the worst of all television) to inspire people to perform civic duties. You know, rather than parents doing this and helping to instill it in their children as the right thing to do to begin with.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

You do have a point. I've actually been volunteering much of my life since I was in scouts a lot of my life.
    The fact is that most peopel dont volunteer enough or at all and just getting people to volunteer even if it is a TV show is a great thing. This is probably the best reality TV show I've ever seen, it isn't like those stupid MTV/VH1 shows.
    I was just pointing out a very inspiring show that has helped me through my break-up because it shows how caring people are, mostly the people that live in the poor neighborhoods helping everyone out.
    Lite, you really should watch it first before judging it.

Lite, you really should watch it first before judging it.
    I don't need to, I already volunteer and have a sense of civic pride and duty. Heck, I've been an assistant scout master and volunteered my time teaching young scouts everything I learned on my way to my eagle rank.

The only volunteering I don't do is the big brothers/big sisters kind. Last kid I tried to take under my wing and help out ended up killing himself a few years later w/ his father's service pistol. I've never quite gotten over that.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the big brother/big sister program.

Its good to see another fellow scout! I wish I wouldve stayed in it longer, probably one of the best programs ever made. Really turns young men into fine upstanding gentlemen.

Really turns young men into fine upstanding gentlemen.
    Eh, it's not my fault. But one can't help but ask if there were something more I could have done. The answer is actually no, but there's a logical/emotional division in my head that doesn't let me fully accept that.

Or at least gives you a good model of what one would be and what you want to achieve a likeness to. Everyone, even gentlemen, have missteps.