+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Mind / Body Connection

Mind / Body Connection

Decided to dump it here as not to derail OP's thread any further

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Also, I wasn't really aware of the effect the shots had on me... I became rather emotional and unwilling to be reasoned with. It wasn't until I actually stopped and thought about it one day, that I realized how profound the change in my personality was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I find this connection between mind and body fascinating. It's amazing that something so little as birth control can have such a profound affect on the personality. Raises once again those questions which is in control the body or the mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    So little as? Birth control pills alter hormone levels in your body rather drastically actually. Those hormones alter moods, energy levels, hell even how much you bleed or cramp during your period. It's a pretty serious thing to be ****ing with.

You can do various things to trick your body into releasing chemicals as you need them to alter moods, but the truth is you cannot really consciously control how much of what your brain tells your glands to dump into your body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    It's interesting that the brain is not as in control of us as we think it is. Would putting a brain in the box make you into a completely different person? I think someone should make a movie around this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    Well, your brain is in control of it. The thing is, you cannot consciously control parts of your brain that handle certain functions. You cannot will your hear to stop beating even though your brain sends electrical impulses to cause it to do so.
    But an external agent affecting your body can turn you into a different person (or at least change how you behave with various affects on your personality), raising suspicion that the brain is not in a complete control of the body. An interesting question is, once your personality is affected and is changed are you still the same person or are you now a different person? Another interesting question, if you put a person's brain into another person's body which person is it now the first or the second?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Birth control pills are just an exogenous form of endogenous chemicals, so I don't really know what you are talking about. OF COURSE hormones play a role in personality. So do other drugs.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

It sounds like you guys are talking about the limbic system versus the higher brain--cerebral cortex.

It's difficult to fight those natural feelings of the limbic system but when you do it means you have stronger control by the higher brain. And not many people can do that all the time. It's going to vary depending on the situation that you are in as well.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Yes there was a study recently about hormones and the way it makes you feel. That's what it does.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meth can turn me into a superhuman nazi or USA man

j/k

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mish, are you ready to start your Bene Gesserit training young Padawan?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Meth can turn me into a superhuman nazi or USA man

j/k
    Meth ****s you up, stay away from it.

But psilocybin can give you a good explanation on mind and body and world and everything oneness connection.
    Don't expect anything.

a pretty interesting topic!

unconcious thoughts/feelings vs concious thoughts/feelings, that is what it all comes down to

they both influence each other. difference is, you do have control over one, but not the other. drugs can alter both, specifically ones used in psychiatry. we start our psychiatry rotation toward the end of the year, can't wait! i find this stuff very interesting.

as far as mind/body relationship goes is this what you are talking about? [url]http://www.helpguide.org/mental/mind_body_therapy.htm[/url]

It's interesting that the brain is not as in control of us as we think it is. Would putting a brain in the box make you into a completely different person? I think someone should make a movie around this.
    I was just thinking about this b/c I posted about it in the books/music forum - the author of the "Twilight" series wrote a book called "The Host" that sort of deals with these topics. Not in any kind of scientific way, it's just a light reading kind of novel, but at least a bit thought-provoking.

brain in a box? i don't understand..?

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    brain in a box? i don't understand..?
    As in, you remove the brain and keep it alive artificially. Suppose, you can connect it to artificial mechanized sensors (Like in Ghost in the shell). But would you still be the same person without the body? Is it the brain that defines us who we are? Or is it the body parts, nervous system, the heart, the liver, the types of hormones that get produced in our body that makes us who we are? For example, if you put your healthy brain into a body of a clinically depressed person, (And go under the influence of all of their negative chemicals / emotions) would you become clinically depressed? That's what interests me
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Meth ****s you up, stay away from it.

But psilocybin can give you a good explanation on mind and body and world and everything oneness connection.
    Ugh, Hell just being on Ritalin for 45 days screwed me up. Do you know what kind of hallucinations you get for not sleeping well for 45 days? Dear lord.

Mushrooms are... Well everyone has a different experience on them, I'll give them that. Such things tend to bug me because my brain gets in a loop about deja vu things and it really freaks me out.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."