+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way I feel about banning users and posts

The way I feel about banning users and posts

Okay, I've noticed a lot of users and posts getting banned for certain reasons like verbal abuse, mild violence, or just offending someone. Now don't get me wrong, but I feel that this forum is way too refined. Users are being banned all the time just because they insult someone using "bad words". But this is a forum, and there's such thing as freedom of speech - everybody speaks their mind. From what I've seen lately this forum seems to be more of a hippie forum for vulnerable innocent children under 18 (or over) who can't take the challenge to answer back in a civil (or not so civil) way using powerful arguments to prevent further abuse from new users, but simply prefer to ban the user.

Honestly, this is not a Disney forum is it?
    I have it all. Including kino.

it's more of a "respect is given, when received" kind of forum. you don't come here to get anything negative, it's like an advice and chat forum. it's not like some forums where you brag about how big your salary is or how awesome of a computer you bought, like some forums i've been to which will remain nameless because they are all arrogant and think they are better than others. this forum is one of the best i've been to.
    "Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you
    learn to succeed." "Oh and be careful what you do...you'll never know who's watching..."

I've been around when this forum barely even existed and I don't need explanations on what this forum is like, PandaCivic. I've seen it evolve from almost nothing to THIS which needless to say is a great improvement. Read my post again and try to see my point.

Killa over the last 6 months 3 people have been banned from the forum that I am aware of-and rightfully so-you havent been around much and have missed WHAT has been said-YES this is a freedom of speech forum-and no one has deleted or edited anyones posts other than from spam or advertising. As far banning those 3-they were NOT people who exercising their freedom of speech they were abusive. This is the kind of behavior which shouldnt be allowed-and as far as I what I have been told sinnce becoming a Mod-those are the people who get banned.

This isnt a Disney World Forum-my gosh if anything it should be rated R most of the time. And slowly this forum is growing with more 20-30 years olds. Its awesome. So Im wondering where youre thinking everyones getting banned? Those posts were totally unnecessary-and it wasnt JUST name calling or use of bad words-it was beyond that-and if this forum ALLOWED that kind of behavior Im sure a lot of people wouldnt stick around...
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Language isn't the requisite, it's a matter of disrupting a community meant to help people. There are people who come in and have controversial viewpoints, use foul language and may offend some people, but it's when they disrupt the process of friendly debate and helpful communication that they don't deserve to be here. This forum is a privelage not a right.
    Heit ist mein taug.

If someone gets offended, they should just not reply to the other person. Just ignore it. But where I would WANT someone banned is blatant racism, generalizing and forming very wrong and ignorant stereotypes (like when that 15 year old girl kept talking about us '****ed up' americans and how '****ed up' the american culture was or whatever). If it's a personal insult, then just ignore them. Or fight back. But when you take it to another level and include a certain race or gender or nationality or whatever, that I would consider wrong and worthy of a banning.

Alexi

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i think that i'll have to side with killer on this one. i remember when we would check this forum on a weekly basis only to see that there is one new reply. however i believe in the freedom on speach and people can say what is on their mind. i might or might not agree with it, but this forum is a place where you can escape the hardtimes of daily life and vent if you want to. you can offend me in the process, but it's still in expression of what's on your mind. me and killer have had our differences in the past, yet both of us are still here. like pekunta, whatever his name is. i would've loved to see him reply to some more posts because whether it's negative or not, he still brought action to the forums. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

This isn't about censoring anyones freedom of speech. This is about disrupting the flow of our forum. If someone were to come in and disrupt the entire flow of the site then they need to be removed, that's what we've done. Regardless of rights of speech this is still a private site, privately owned and operated by admin and anyone going blatantly against his wishes have no right to be a part of our community.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I'm new but just want to say in all of my reading I've only seen one message removed by the moderator and one person that was banned. In this forum we discuss some subjects that are very sensitive and I, for one, know I would not be able to open up if I thought someone was waiting to call me names or criticize the way I live.

I am here for the advise, the moral support, and the positive energy of our members not for drama and foolishness!

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Well said, J.

i see your point. but i wasn't explaining or clarifying anything. all i'm saying is that the people that get banned are basically getting banned by mods, which are the only people that have that power. if one mod sees something that deserves a ban, they'll do so. it's all opinionated. it's not like they're righteous in general but more like they will ban a user just because they feel like it due to their own decisions.
    "Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you
    learn to succeed." "Oh and be careful what you do...you'll never know who's watching..."

Panda-Killer is a mod too! She hasnt been around lately-shes moved out west and in college-besides the fact has an awesome man. But I do see her point-but as Mod myself I dont abuse the power here and neither do the other mods...use at our discretion as to what we want to do-like Zekk said its privately owned and we follow what he wants. Its an Honor to be a Mod-and I would never over step my bounds. I have found things offensive here...but it happens rarely-People are able to speak their minds in here...its when it becomes disruptive.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

In this forum we discuss some subjects that are very sensitive and I, for one, know I would not be able to open up if I thought someone was waiting to call me names or criticize the way I live.
    Yet you also have to realize that this forum is anonymous. And that you also have the right to ignore such critizising statements. They say it often BECAUSE it's not to your face. Very few people would say bad things right to another's face.

But, in the event that someone DOES critizise your lifestyle or choices, if you don't want to respond, you don't have to. Simply ignore all their remarks and wait for someone else to respond.

ALSO, if others think that you were in the right and the remarks made were uncalled for, someone will almost ALWAYS jump in to defend you. So there's support there regardless of what happens (if we think you're in the right.) And if we ALL (or most) disagree with you or your lifestyle, at the very least, we may help you to think about things from another angle that may either dissuade you to live a certain way and help you to realize that this isn't what you want, or further solidify your ways and show you that, despite all these other things, this is TRULY what you want to do and now you can get rid of any doubts.

So I am for speaking up whenever/whatever. And if you don't like what WE have to say about it, either fight back, or ignore it and continue speaking your mind. Maybe you'll eventuially help US to think about something from another angle and realize that you are right. Who knows?

Alexi

Thanks squirrley

I didn't post this forum to hurt anyone's feelings or stir up some real action, it was just something I've been thinking about lately. If I really would've considered it a serious issue I would've put it in the Staff Room. It's interesting to know what others think once in a while.

And like Alexi pointed out, the internet in general is pretty anonymous, even if you post pictures of your prom and your entire family (shout out to Kawaiiskye!) Personally I couldn't care less if someone starts insulting me - just to pluck a random example out of the air - MVPlaya for example.

From what I've observed in forums and chats some people come on as complete ****-ups and assholes and then suddenly turn into genuinely good people. You never know...

I've been bombarded with insults by one guy over a year ago in ICQ but I never sent him to ignore list, I was just curious. Later on we actually became internet friends, if you may call it that, and even talked on the phone. He is one of my confidantes, even though we've never seen each other. It's kinda cool that way. Oh, and he's married and has a 12-year old daughter and tells me all about his affairs and we have great philosophical conversations once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbabe
    Personally I couldn't care less if someone starts insulting me - just to pluck a random example out of the air - MVPlaya for example.
    Wow. The complete randomness of that name being plucked out astounded me. I NEVER would have guess THAT name to be picked (randomly or not). Because I DON'T remember any quarreling with THAT person . . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast