+ Follow This Topic

Thread: good memories about grandparents or close family members

good memories about grandparents or close family members

what’s your best memory

mine is the feeling of love so much so that my granny used to specifically make me a birthday cake shaped like a rabbit coz I loved rabbits for so many years in a row. She used to knit me a jumper every Christmas as a present. She used to make me apple tarts to bring to school as a treat and my goodness they really were amazing treats for me and all my pals. my grandfather (her husband) used to bring me around the farm to gather the sheep into a specific field like I did a good job, haha he ended up doing it properly. I used to go to markets to buy stock and I felt he needed my advice (haha what a joke, he knew better than I did) but he always asked me what I thought.

I loved it tho

Anyone else have some good memories to share?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

does no-one on here have any good memories to share? c'mon people, you must have something nice and warm to share, please?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

sorry about your grandma, eco.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

my friend died from cancer.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Aww, I'm sorry, misombra. Was this the one with the liver (or was it the pancreas) that you worked with?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yeah. he did chemo and i swear it killed him. that shit is awful.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, it's very hard on the body. When did your friend pass away?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

couple days ago. i found out tonight.

his whole family was there. he was a great guy. he was 49. young.

I was never close to my grandparents. My grandmother and step grandmother on my father's side died before I was born, my grandfather on that side died when I was three. On my mother's side my grandmother was always preoccupied with her female grandchildren, and grandpa was either drunk (functioning alcoholic), sleeping, watching football, or working at the bar he owned. Being a pall bearer for my grandfather was very difficult for me personally and I had vowed to never do it again.

I've never generally been very close with my extended family. I'm such an odd creature compared to my relatives, that I've found it personally difficult to relate with them (with a lot of people) and converse about much of anything.

I remember fondly sharing my eagle ceremony with my best friend. My parents have always treated him like a son, and he and I have always made sure to keep in touch. I also remember fondly the time we spent after his father died. As sad as the occasion was, we managed to spend some good time together and nice bonding moments. I remember racing across town on Saturday morning to buy a flag for his father's coffin before the store closed. There was only one flag store in Des Moines and everything had happened so fast that we didn't have time to get a flag from a veteran's group. There are flags designed specifically to fit coffins FYI. I remember the guy pulling out this beautiful cotton flag, and my friend holding it in his hands feeling it before asking if they had a cheaper one. It about broke my heart to hear those words so I just paid for the flag. Plus, in a sneaky sort of way it ensured that he would get the flag after the funeral rather than one of his siblings. Which, I didn't think about until afterward, but it was a good memory to share. Even with the sad circumstances surrounding it.
    Last edited by Lite; 01-02-09 at 01:03 PM.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Best memories with both pairs of grandparents:

The many stories my grandfather told my brother and I before bed about his adventurous childhood. He grew up in an orphanage because his parents couldn't afford to raise him and his siblings. They were so hilarious and amusing. And each story had a moral to it. Definitely make up a significant amount of my best childhood memories.

The same grandfather's wife, one of my grandmothers, passed away when I was really young, so I don't have many memories of her. She was always very kind though. What I remember most was sitting in the back seat of her little red car on the way to church every sunday, and all the garage sales she took me to. If it weren't for her, I probably would have never been interested in dinosaurs or sedimentary rock or fossils or any of that stuff.

I spent a lot of time with those grandparents because my mother had to work 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to support us. So we stayed overnight at my grandparents usually 3-4 times during the week, while my mom worked 12-15 hour shifts. My family is very strange like that. One of my uncle's divorced my aunt and decided not to raise my cousins... so my other aunt decided to raise them on her farm instead (The same aunt recently came out of a year long coma.. after many brain surgeries and many problems with hydrocephalus) They are my favorite cousins out of everyone in my family. I relate to them most.

The best memory of my other grandparents (My father's family lived on the other side of the country) is only one of very few. I just remember playing with toys they bought me on the floor of their apartment. More specifically, a toy fishing pole. They had a balcony that peeked down into water that had some kind of fish and other aquatic animals in it (I think... maybe I imagined that. I don't remember. I was maybe 2-3 years old then)
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 01-02-09 at 02:35 PM.

My aunt Mary is the shining angel of my family. She's the white sheep. I remember her reading to me and my brother when we were little, both of us scrambling to fit on her lap, which wasn't very large. She read "The Monster at the End of This Book".

I've never seen her lose her temper or heard an unkind word from her about anyone.
    Spammer Spanker