+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my manager to write a job description?

How do I get my manager to write a job description?

I'm realizing that I'm slowly starting to build contempt for my manager for not doing something so simple and so important to my job requirements as a job description. My contempt is so far popping up in defensiveness every time she comments on something vague that wasn't done right, but I think if the issue is not resolved it's only going to get worse.

I was given a vague job description when I started. I was promoted since then about 4 years ago and given a verbal work description which never eventuated in a written form. That verbal job description seemed to have changed since it was given without my consent. I followed up my requests for an update of job description in a written form since then until I was given a definite answer that I will have it by September 2007. We are now approaching a year and half anniversary of the reached deadline and I'm yet to see or hear of any development in that area. A work description is crucial because a lot of my responsibilities are status quo and if something goes tits up in this place there is no definitive answer of who is responsible for what, for some crucial areas of our operations (this applies to our entire team, not only myself). I explained that to my manager in those exact same terms and was greeted by silence. Where to from here? (I don't want to make a big deal out of it or cause big problems, just don't know how much longer I can keep a lid on it or reverse my contempt which is building up at a steady rate).
    Last edited by Mish; 02-02-09 at 03:26 PM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

how about addressing it to the next in line superior?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

surely you get opportunities at least once a month to talk about your performance 1 to 1 no? i would mention it every month until they got sick of hearing it.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mish, you have already spoken with your manager, and (I presume) sent messages to her about this.

Your company sounds a bit disorganized. But its not uncommon, so you know. When I got my current position, there was likewise no job description, nor for any of the managers working for me. There is now, btw. It sounds extraordinary, but its really not uncommon for med-sized companies expanding faster than they expect. Especially in IT.

Okay. Here is my version of what 'the Ideal Employee' would do. I am assuming, btw, that you have tried several times to address this with your immediate supervisor, which is sounds like you have.

BTW, a comment on motives. If yours are to 'cover your butt' in case something goes wrong (your words) then that's not gonna fly. You need to extend your mind to seeing things from the company's perspective, not just your own. Great managers look for this, and it will get noticed, which could be to your future benefit.

Create a point form list of what you think your quarterly, semi and annual job duties are. A word file will do.

Request and schedule a meeting with your managers boss. It is important that you do this *verbally* and NOT in writing (email). If you do this by email, you will place pressure on your immediate boss and this will alienate her. Be smart.

Have the meeting with your bosses boss. Tell him/her verbally that you are concerned that a lack of a clear job description is affecting your maximum productivity. Say that you are very goal-oriented and that you work best when you know, within fairly well-defined guidelines, what you are expected to accomplish. Say that this info will help you know if you are meeting your duties, where you are doing well and where you can do better. This should take not more than 5 mins, btw. Be succinct.

Say then you have drafted a list of what you feel your duties are and how they align with company goals. Give him/her a copy of this list and discuss. This would be the time to mention *briefly* any MAJOR deviations from what you think your job is.

Then, ask for what you want. This is NOT the time to be asking for a raise, btw. Complaints about department structure and raises should not be discussed in the same meeting. You should mention what you enjoy about working for the company, and how you really appreciate the manager's time in meeting with you. Do ask approximately how long it will take for some movement to occur on your issue, tho if your manager is any good, they will offer this info of their own. It will likely involve them taking your notes to their next managers meeting.

That's it. Keep it brief, professional and to the point.

Oh, and don't be surprised if your supervisors boss suggests she attend this meeting. Unless there is active hostility b/t staff & manager, I usually request both be present. Tho not usually w/o feeling out the situation myself with a phone call. Its generally frowned upon to 'jump chain of command' in a business, I don't personally encourage it, but I also let my staff know my 'e-door' is open.

Hope this helps.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Thanks Indi for taking the time to write this response. There's definitely some food for thought here.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    BTW, a comment on motives. If yours are to 'cover your butt' in case something goes wrong (your words) then that's not gonna fly. You need to extend your mind to seeing things from the company's perspective, not just your own. Great managers look for this, and it will get noticed, which could be to your future benefit.
    I think it's less of covering my butt and more covering the butt of the organization I work for. For example, there is a status quo on issue of leadership, what to do when bad situations occur. (I think that status quo is there on purpose so my manager doesn't feel threatened). In the past I would take the initiative and fix major issues before irreparable damages occur, even at my own expense of staying back late doing uncompensated overtime work for a bunch of thank yous (another issue in my department). But this is not written in my work description or responsibilities. I could just as easily say initiative and leadership are not in my work description and shake my head pretending I don't know what to do like the others while everything goes under. Since I feel this area of my workload is unappreciated I sometimes feel like doing just that. Sometimes I feel like my manager devalues my efforts because she feels threatened by me, seeing me as over ambitious and after her job which is the furthest from the truth. I just want to feel appreciated for the work I do and have it recognized in a job description.

Request and schedule a meeting with your managers boss. It is important that you do this *verbally* and NOT in writing (email). If you do this by email, you will place pressure on your immediate boss and this will alienate her. Be smart.

Have the meeting with your bosses boss. Tell him/her verbally that you are concerned that a lack of a clear job description is affecting your maximum productivity. Say that you are very goal-oriented and that you work best when you know, within fairly well-defined guidelines, what you are expected to accomplish. Say that this info will help you know if you are meeting your duties, where you are doing well and where you can do better. This should take not more than 5 mins, btw. Be succinct.

Oh, and don't be surprised if your supervisors boss suggests she attend this meeting. Unless there is active hostility b/t staff & manager, I usually request both be present. Tho not usually w/o feeling out the situation myself with a phone call. Its generally frowned upon to 'jump chain of command' in a business, I don't personally encourage it, but I also let my staff know my 'e-door' is open.
    Wouldn't having a meeting with my manager's boss be jumping over her head? He wouldn't know our operations if it bit him. I think it might embarrass my manager, but not achieve the result in the end. I think she also has potential to do something nasty, like devalue my role on paper if she feels threatened. Yes, I think she is quite capable of that, writing up a role with less responsibility (as agreed on previously) at the expense of the organization running into problems when I fail to live up to the responsibility which wasn't written.
    Last edited by Mish; 02-02-09 at 07:01 PM.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, Mish, going over your supervisors head WOULD be jumping the queue. Which is why I say make sure you have exhausted all avenues and that you really understand your motives for what you are asking for.

You can ask for a dual meeting, if you want to keep your supervisor on good terms. But you also want results. Its a tricky balance. Honestly, it actually sounds like you might want your supervisors job. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing if she's ineffective. You just have to play your cards right.

Also your working overtime to fix things and not get paid for it has got to stop. If you ever do this, you need to make sure you get it recognized and are compensated. You are merely covering for your boss otherwise. While that's great teamwork, its not if she's taking the credit and you get none.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I think she also has potential to do something nasty, like devalue my role on paper if she feels threatened. Yes, I think she is quite capable of that, writing up a role with less responsibility (as agreed on previously) at the expense of the organization running into problems when I fail to live up to the responsibility which wasn't written.
    If you truly think this, and are right, then you probably DO want her job or a similar outcome. I'm quite serious about this. Ineffective managers can really destroy companies, especially small to medium sized ones.

There are a couple subtle ways to do this. A lot depends on how much you like this company and what kind of person your boss's boss is. I'd also have to know a bit about what your quals are vs. this woman's and a bit more about the company structure. I think we should PM about this & discuss further.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I was thinking maybe to setup another meeting with her where I make another request and ask her for a deadline on this. If the deadline expires or she doesn't make one then escalate the issue further. Maybe to HR. Maybe create some buzz among the staff (pointing out lack of their work descriptions). Escalate to the next manager in line only if all else fails. Would it be a good idea or not? Or maybe it's just better to lay low with a status quo and look for another job?
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was thinking maybe to setup another meeting with her where I make another request and ask her for a deadline on this. If the deadline expires or she doesn't make one then escalate the issue further. Maybe to HR. Maybe create some buzz among the staff (and their work descriptions). Escalate to the next manager in line only if all else fails. Would it be a good idea or not? Or maybe it's just better to lay low with a status quo and look for another job?
    You can try the meeting method I mentioned with her. But given your previous efforts, she is likely to be resistant.

Do not stir up shit w/the staff. Bad. Good way to get fired. Even when I've had staff who were RIGHT about something, I've sometimes had no choice but to fire them b/c they stirred up crap. How you go about something is just as important as why.

Really, going to your managers boss is only going to work if you want her job (eventually). Consider the message such a jump sends:

I think my boss isn't responding to me. I think there are things I have requested that haven't been addressed. I think I can do better. I am looking for someone else to help me b/c she can't/won't.

There are only two outcomes a supervising manager sees in such a case: either the manager is doing his/her job (and the employee is in error/stirring trouble) or the manager isn't.

The fact that something has got to my desk tells me immediately that communication has broken down b/t manager & employee. That sends a red flag right there. Afterall, my managers are being paid to take care of this stuff, otherwise it would be MY job. My next task is to figure out who's issue it is.

If I decide its yours, Mish, then I work with the manager to figure out if your issue really is worth addressing. But also, are you causing trouble or not. This might include eventually deciding to let you go if you are fairly easily replaced. Squeaky wheels get the grease, but only if its worth it and only for so long.

If I decide its the manager, that's more complicated. I can't possibly write everything I think about here but basically, I will make a judgement about whether I want this person to continue as a manager. And who I want to replace her with.

I will tell you, I have kept managers for longer than I should have simply b/c its damn hard to replace them. Tons of training and company knowledge there. Better the devil you know than the one you don't, sometimes.

Translation: the lowly employee trying to 'do right' is sometimes the one who is let go. Be careful, Mish.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Translation: the lowly employee trying to 'do right' is sometimes the one who is let go. Be careful, Mish.
    Unfortunately yes. Which is I why I'm thinking that maybe status quo / new job might be a better idea. I had a look around for a bit. There are much more rewarding jobs for my skill level.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    One other question: how common is it in your field to have a written job description? Are there standards at other companies you can point to as a good standard?

Are you sure the lack of a formal job description isn't just a mask for unhappiness about a more serious problem? Lack of a team or company goal?

This is just in my experience, don't take this personally, but when employees start to 'niggle' about little things like you are, that normally means there is a deeper problem that needs addressing.

Or that we've got a problem employee who likes to stir the pot. Don't be one of those. Find a job that challenges you more. You want a GOOD recommendation from whatever company you work for. Never leave a company on bad terms if you can help it.

Just like relationships: better to get out sooner while you still get along than later and bitterness sets in.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unfortunately yes. Which is I why I'm thinking that maybe status quo / new job might be a better idea. I had a look around for a bit. There are much more rewarding jobs for my skill level.
    Ah, yes, then my last post would apply. Stick it out and find a new job asap. This isn't your dream job w/an unfortunate, shitty manager, sounds like to me.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Are you sure the lack of a formal job description isn't just a mask for unhappiness about a more serious problem?

This is just in my experience, don't take this personally, but when employees start to 'niggle' about little things like you are, that normally means there is a deeper problem that needs addressing.
    Of course there is a more serious problem. I have already done all the growing up in this particular role (I think I did in the first year of being there), there is no more growing left to do. Instead of encouraging further growth I feel my manager just cuts away at the duties which are already there. Making my work even duller and more boring. I feel that I could be doing a lot more for my employer and do more growing in the process, but what we have at the moment (do / repeat easy issues) and slow erosion of my responsibilities is not allowing me that. I would be happier if what was agreed to originally was honored (when another director who left was involved), but that will most likely not happen.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I was asked to make comments on a document she wrote which will go out to all staff. The first paragraph reads:

The purpose for this document is to set procedures and processes for when IT equipments are received and administrated by regions where IT staffs are not presence.

Can you please advise how to make my comments politely?
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Bump.......