+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Date with a Turkish guy

ok, it's set for thursday we'll see a movie and I think I will suggest a walk to the park so that we get to talk a bit more.

right.. now I can't decide what to wear :| any ideas? Damn it, i'm not good at this dating thing. Well anyway i'll let you guys know how it goes.

A lot of my students are Turkish.

They're only 12 though, so I guess it doesn't help.

I was on a train from Prague a few weeks ago and there was a Turkish girl sitting in my compartment. A Turkish guy came in and started chatting her up and I got to witness this over-the-top, gender-stereotype interaction: she giggling and pretending not to want his attention, and he all persuasion and flattery. It was bizarre.

Edit: Have fun on your date!!

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    In my experience, men from that region really enjoy the company of Western girls, but when it comes time to get serious about relationships, they are extremely traditional - both in meeting familial expectations for a suitable match, and in their expectations of women's roles. My husband's son spent about 6 months living there. Turkey is much more Westernized than most Muslim countries, but is experiencing a return to traditional culture (as is the case in much of the Arab world). The larger cities are pretty progressive, but the rural areas can be positively backwards, so depending on where he was raised, he may be more or less traditional. They like to smoke hookah (shishah) and cigarettes, and most will abstain from alcohol (religious mandate). Food is great! Oh, and they are often real charmers and flatterers, and very masculine/"macho" as compared to Western men.
    I agree with the majority of this.
    How do I know? I'm Turkish.

So OP, wear your tight jeans to show off your legs, high heels, and a cute top.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    A lot of my students are Turkish.

They're only 12 though, so I guess it doesn't help.

I was on a train from Prague a few weeks ago and there was a Turkish girl sitting in my compartment. A Turkish guy came in and started chatting her up and I got to witness this over-the-top, gender-stereotype interaction: she giggling and pretending not to want his attention, and he all persuasion and flattery. It was bizarre.

Edit: Have fun on your date!!
    thanks that's weird! I can be coy, I guess ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Chievious View Post
    I agree with the majority of this.
    How do I know? I'm Turkish.

So OP, wear your tight jeans to show off your legs, high heels, and a cute top.
    thanks, I'll see what I can throw together

the only part of turkey i've seen is Antalya, and that was just a resort, so I don't think it really counts.

I'd say dress a bit on the conservative side. He's probably already got an idea in his head that you're an easy piece because you're not a good, modest Turkish girl, so try not to exacerbate that condition.

You know, I'd reeeeally like to believe you about how cute he is, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to see a pic.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Europe is so diverse for being so tiny.

It's almost a shame the Germans didn't take over and just make everyone speak German, then I'd only have to worry about speaking Spanish and/or German.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

It's almost a shame the Germans didn't take over and just make everyone speak German, then I'd only have to worry about speaking Spanish and/or German.
    I for one would like to praise the Lord that there are only 3 countries full of German-speakage in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I'd say dress a bit on the conservative side. He's probably already got an idea in his head that you're an easy piece because you're not a good, modest Turkish girl, so try not to exacerbate that condition.

You know, I'd reeeeally like to believe you about how cute he is, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to see a pic.
    good point. hm, I guess I'm just as bad as him because I'm assuming that this is what he thinks of me and therefore he's an easy piece of.. muscle-y-ness. Does that satisfy your curiosity a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

there's a bad joke here somewhere ... nah, we all speak english anyway so we needn't bother.

I don't think Europe is smaller than the US in area or population, actually? Am I mistaken? though, the 'core' European countries are, I suppose. The US often gets clumped into one country in conversation - which, well, it is, but every state/area does have its own culture, right?

I for one would like to praise the Lord that there are only 3 countries full of German-speakage in Europe.
    why? most people like my german accent..

yay, I just got back home We watched Nick and Nora's infinite playlist. Yes, we held hands at the end of the movie. I brought strawberries to the cinema (much better than popcorn) and we were almost the only people there. After that we walked down by the river and talked a bit more, decided we didn't want to go home yet and went to dinner (italian), stayed till it closed and he walked me home and we kissed good night.

so all in all pretty good date. He was pretty shy. And apparently he's never dated before. woah; he'll be 22 next week, can you believe it?

sounds really sweet, glad you had a good time
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

He lives a secret double life as a spy, thats why he hasn't dated.

No but seriously, its not all that weird for me to hear that. I dated a LITTLE bit but didn't have a serious gf till shortly after I turned 21. I had plenty of girls that liked me, I was just too busy with my life doing "guy things" I guess. I didn't want to slow down or feel restrained in what I could do.

Its not likes he's 33, living in his parents basement and refers to his room as "the command center." That would be grounds to worry.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    He lives a secret double life as a spy, thats why he hasn't dated.

No but seriously, its not all that weird for me to hear that. I dated a LITTLE bit but didn't have a serious gf till shortly after I turned 21. I had plenty of girls that liked me, I was just too busy with my life doing "guy things" I guess. I didn't want to slow down or feel restrained in what I could do.

Its not likes he's 33, living in his parents basement and refers to his room as "the command center." That would be grounds to worry.
    hehe, true, but I'm worried that he'll get way too attached. He had a coundown to the date in hours and minutes and seconds. SECONDS, people, he was counting seconds and he doesn't even know me. Maybe he's just trying too hard to be nice. To me, it was just a good date, to him it seemed like it was the best thing ever. hm... i'm going to see him at the gym in a few hours. Let's hope it isn't weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    there's a bad joke here somewhere ... nah, we all speak english anyway so we needn't bother.

I don't think Europe is smaller than the US in area or population, actually? Am I mistaken? though, the 'core' European countries are, I suppose. The US often gets clumped into one country in conversation - which, well, it is, but every state/area does have its own culture, right?
    I think different regions have differing cultures. Being in the Southwest was at least a bit of culture shock for me this summer, but it's nothing like the vast differences between European countries, in my opinion.

why? most people like my german accent..
    Haha, I was bitter when I posted that - I had just come back to Germany from Italy. Such a beautiful, flowing language, Italian. I mean, come on - in Italian "What time is it?" is "che ore sono?" and in German it's "wieviel Uhr ist es?" or "wie spät ist es?" Either way, it's such a mouthful.

German accents are mostly ok, I know some people with pretty sexy ones, I just don't think German is the language I would select for the whole world to speak!

I'm glad your date was fun. Just try to keep it light. And I'm 23 and have never dated seriously, so I hope being 22 and inexperienced doesn't mean he's weird

I think different regions have differing cultures. Being in the Southwest was at least a bit of culture shock for me this summer, but it's nothing like the vast differences between European countries, in my opinion.

Haha, I was bitter when I posted that - I had just come back to Germany from Italy. Such a beautiful, flowing language, Italian. I mean, come on - in Italian "What time is it?" is "che ore sono?" and in German it's "wieviel Uhr ist es?" or "wie spät ist es?" Either way, it's such a mouthful.

German accents are mostly ok, I know some people with pretty sexy ones, I just don't think German is the language I would select for the whole world to speak!

I'm glad your date was fun. Just try to keep it light. And I'm 23 and have never dated seriously, so I hope being 22 and inexperienced doesn't mean he's weird
    ha yeah german is not melodic or elegant. but it is often more accurate. =P

no, I don't think it makes him 'weird', in fact its kinda sweet, but it does make him inexperienced- and frankly, both my ex and the two people I briefly dated recently were between 3 and 5 years older than me, so i'm kind of used to following their lead and being the inexperienced one. This guy makes ME look experienced, which is saying something. I just don't want to hurt him, you know?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast