+ Follow This Topic
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Date with a Turkish guy

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meh, you are obviously getting defensive. I didn't mean to dress you down at all, but your argument is simply wrong. Religion fills the gaps in science (and there ARE gaps) - it doesn't replace science (at least, not for the more progressive religions). And again, bible stories are typically considered metaphors for those movements, not literal history.

I understand that arguing with an atheist is like arguing with a bible thumper. I don't really know why I bothered.

I don't think I would date a person if I had such negative feelings about what he fundamentally bases his life on, but to each their own.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Meh, you are obviously getting defensive. I didn't mean to dress you down at all, but your argument is simply wrong. Religion fills the gaps in science (and there ARE gaps) - it doesn't replace science (at least, not for the more progressive religions). And again, bible stories are typically considered metaphors for those movements, not literal history.
    Of course i'm a tad defensive- I turned up to a fencing match with my bendy fake sword while you seem to have come in full body armour and a katana. At least i'm not defensive about being defensive, right?
    I genuinely *like* to have people try to show me how my arguments are faulty. If I think someone has really shown me holes in my argument, then I change the argument. (I don't mean in a sneaky jumping-from-point-to-point way, I mean in a real learning kind of way..-- ok enough editing your post tiay..)

And from the debate so far I have learned that I should not have specifically used the virgin birth/resurrection but rather supernatural beliefs in general, and I learned that science is indeed vastly easier to reconcile with some religions (such as Buddism if we count that as a religion) than it is with others.
    Also, while I still hold that science and religion are fundamentally at odds, I now appreciate more than I did before that some religions do let science have it's field day, so to speak.

If only 48% of the US population believes in evolution, then it is not representative to say that bible stories are typically considered metaphors, at least not in the states.

I agree that the more progressive religions fill the gaps rather than directly challenging well established scientific explanations. And, frankly, this is the type of religion I have most respect for, and luckily most people where I live usually come from this category, so maybe it's also because am used to it.

However, the fact that the most rational forms of religion go to the very places that science has not yet reached (or logically can never fully explain), simply shows even more clearly that the two are incompatible.

I understand that arguing with an atheist is like arguing with a bible thumper. I don't really know why I bothered.
    because it is fun to challenge your own opinions once in a while with someone who has opposite ones. No matter how the debate goes, your opinions become more robust and thought-out every time you challenge them. Most intelligent people probably feel the need to do this now and then.. maybe that is why you bothered?

I don't think I would date a person if I had such negative feelings about what he fundamentally bases his life on, but to each their own.
    yeah.. :| neither did I, but here I am. I will have to just decide if I can just enjoy it or if it's going to bother me too much.
    Last edited by Tiay; 10-03-09 at 10:28 PM.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think we should get back to Tiay wanting to get laid.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post
    I think we should get back to Tiay wanting to get laid.
    Yes, I like the way you think. How do I take a guys virginity?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    Yes, I like the way you think. How do I take a guys virginity?
    If he's not going for it... I can't think of anything that doesn't involve a strap on
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    If he's not going for it... I can't think of anything that doesn't involve a strap on
    hehe

I meant more along the lines of.. what to say or not to say, to take charge or to let him, how he's likely to feel about it.. etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    I meant more along the lines of.. what to say or not to say, to take charge or to let him, how he's likely to feel about it.. etc..
    I think getting laid is one of those things where the guy should take charge. I'm surprised he hasn't already. Making out should usually lead in that direction.

If he is hesitating at that stage, I would ask why, there must be a reason.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I think getting laid is one of those things where the guy should take charge. I'm surprised he hasn't already. Making out should usually lead in that direction.

If he is hesitating at that stage, I would ask why, there must be a reason.
    yeah, at first I figured if i'm more experienced (which isn't saying much, but anyways..) then I am somehow responsible for taking charge, but you're right, that is the guy thing.
    he's not hesitating, just... progressing slowly. That's fine by me, perfect, in fact.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112