+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About my sister...

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

About my sister...

I love my sister, but she has serious man problems. She comes to me for answers, but I'm all out of them....especially since she acts like she's all on board with what I'm saying but doesn't follow through.

See, she's with this guy that isn't the best for her as far as everyone is concerned....but they have a child together. He's ten years older than her and completely insecure, but covers it up with machismo. I won't get into details. She tells me despite her best efforts he is uninterested in sex with her....they do it like once every two or three months. He is uncommunicative. When she makes any attempt at leaving him he threatens to take their daughter and tries to make her look like the bad guy.

I've given her all the advice I can stopping short of telling her what I really think of him, because my mom said that might cause a rift between us.....even though inside she knows it's the truth.

She's coming out (alone) to visit in a few months and I'm SO tempted just to slam down my opinion on the whole thing, but I don't know if it's my place and if it would hurt her. My main motivation is that no one in my family really told me about how they felt about my horrible ex and how he treated me until AFTER I made the choice to leave him, and I sort of wished they'd just told me they all thought he was a bastard.

Any thoughts? Should I push this further or leave it alone? What would YOU guys do?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

How old is she? And would she be interested in my magical penis?
    I don't chase, I replace.

Here's the way I see it Blue:

There's two types of people in this world, the kind that tell you what you want to hear and the kind that tell you what you need to hear.

Your parents, your siblings, your GOOD friends and the people who generally care about you and take your best interests to heart are the people that tell you what you need to hear. The other 95% of the world you meet really don;t care about you or what happens to you. They want to tell you what you want to hear so everything is happy and you can continue to live inside your safe bubble.

You know from personal experience what it means to have people tell you what you need to hear. Usually you feel hostile towards what they say and generally don't want to hear it, but in the end they are always right because they care about YOU.

It's a choice only you can really make as to whether you want to step in and weather the storm for your sister, but you know how much you wish you would have heard what people thought before your ex. It takes a certain caliber of person to step up and say what everyone else is afraid to say.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    It takes a certain caliber of person to step up and say what everyone else is afraid to say.

That's the way I feel, and I've seen this go on too long....she deserves to be happy and I want to do whatever I have to to help get her there.

My mom tells me to butt out and that she has to learn herself, the hard way. That's why I'm torn.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    That's the way I feel, and I've seen this go on too long....she deserves to be happy and I want to do whatever I have to to help get her there.

My mom tells me to butt out and that she has to learn herself, the hard way. That's why I'm torn.
    Its tough when someone your close to, I presume your mother has a difference of opinion with you. I clash with my mom about things that my sister sees eye to eye with me on. My relationship with my sister is a lot different than my relationship with my mom. Being her older brother I have a personal obligation to watch over her which may explain why you feel the way you do.

The love you have for your sibling is different than the love you have for your parents. Your mother is a generation older than you and things change. It seems with each generation we seem to be a little more irresponsible and lack a little more caution in relationships than the previous.

Also, keep in mind no one is in a better position to say something than you. Shes a perfect blood match to you, shes closer to you than anyone else more than likely. I use to be a "tell em what they want to hear" person, then i got burned and it opened my eyes to just how few people will say it.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 09-02-09 at 02:24 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

it's a tough situation. but it is ultimatetely up to her to change her direction. often times you put so much energy toward trying to get another person to change that it drains you, because the other person won't do anything about it until they're ready.

if she really wanted to she could leave him. until family members are allowed to lock up their loved ones in a shed until they get over something, chances are you'll cause a lot more hurt and drama onto yourself.

remember the friend i used to have that was an alcoholic. her oldest sister would always try to have talks with her and she would always talk about how her sister hates her and "she said i'm ruining my life and i'm not waaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

you could tell her something, but don't do it expecting that she'll change her mind right away.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

blue if i was in your situation, yes i would say something about the situation but have solutions ready too. if she becomes hostile then go no further with it. even if she takes it badly she will think about it in her own time and wonder why the conversation happened. she's a woman and will analyse the conversation but it might take her time to come to terms with it. don't push it just say it and see if you can then talk more about it
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Blue, what help can you offer her? If you hold out a hand and open a door while telling her that where she is is unacceptable, she might be able to go for it.

Sounds like the guy is a psycho. Do you actually believe he would take their daughter? If so, that's a serious concern.

If she knew how to get out of this herself, she probably already would have. She needs help, and I think your mother is WRONG about not saying anything to her. You just have to say it in a non-condemnatory way.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Is she completely unaware you don't approve?

I think it is appropriate to tell her ONCE that you think she could do better and that you are worried. Tell her you will be as supportive as you can possibly be is she ever decides to leave him, and tell her you will help her to locate resources to assist her if she needs it. Tell her you aren't going to bring it up again (although she can), and then drop it. She isn't going to forget that you don't like him.

Also, I would abstain from giving her routine advice. She needs to learn to think for herself. I would probably say something along the lines of "Wow - that's awful. What are you going to do about it?" This route would be more likely to foster independent thinking.

Alternately, you can simply ask her every single time she comes to you "do you want me to tell you what you want to hear, or what I really think?"
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I belong to the group where i speak the truth even if it means delivering the harshest light possible.
    But what drew me to to speak up of this is not the case of on the 2 groups of people.
    I've offered countless advices to my female friends before,sometimes the same ones with the same on going drama and if ever you were in my shoes before,you'd realise that girls especially,are not interested in putting your advice into action plan.
    If so,why in the first place would they even seek advice?
    Of all advices offered,none of the female really rationalise with their brain and it seems like everyone of them are acting on what their heart tells them too when we,by stander could tell they are walking into potential hurts.
    If the truth has never been told to your sister,i suggest you sit down with her and speak to her.The rest is up to her.
    No point doing the hard drilling.
    How many times have we seen the classical case of a girl with a jerk,complain 24/7 but never leaves him?

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Here's the way I see it Blue:

There's two types of people in this world, the kind that tell you what you want to hear and the kind that tell you what you need to hear.

Your parents, your siblings, your GOOD friends and the people who generally care about you and take your best interests to heart are the people that tell you what you need to hear. The other 95% of the world you meet really don;t care about you or what happens to you. They want to tell you what you want to hear so everything is happy and you can continue to live inside your safe bubble.

You know from personal experience what it means to have people tell you what you need to hear. Usually you feel hostile towards what they say and generally don't want to hear it, but in the end they are always right because they care about YOU.

It's a choice only you can really make as to whether you want to step in and weather the storm for your sister, but you know how much you wish you would have heard what people thought before your ex. It takes a certain caliber of person to step up and say what everyone else is afraid to say.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    My main motivation is that no one in my family really told me about how they felt about my horrible ex and how he treated me until AFTER I made the choice to leave him, and I sort of wished they'd just told me they all thought he was a bastard.

Any thoughts? Should I push this further or leave it alone? What would YOU guys do?
    Blue, sorry to say but this situation is very different to what you had with your ex. First he was a lying, cheating scum and second you didn't have a child together. I'm surprised that no one from your family stood up and told you how it was back than. But in any case, don't let the justified feelings for your ex affect this particular situation. Even though this guy sounds like an asswipe he is not cheating on her and is not abusive to her (from what I understand) and they do have a family together, so it might be better to be a little bit more assertive in this situation.

Have they done counseling? Maybe that would help them with the communication issue? Have they done sex therapy / anything to spice up their sex life? Maybe that would help with the sex issue? Don't forget when you are giving advice that there is a child involved and a life of a single mother is not exactly cushy as well. It might be better for them to find a way to resolve their issues than to split (provided ofcourse there is no abuse going on).
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

besides their sex life, is there anything else we should be aware of? abuse? cuz if sex is the only issue, he doesn't sound that bad after all. he might be going through a phase. I do completely agree with everything Misha said.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Put her on LF, we'll straighten her out.

Blue,
    I think you should let her know how you feel, and do it in an open-door way, as Giga suggested. I think unconditional love is the best way to support a person in this situation.

When my sister hated the guy I was dating last year, she definitely told me, but she also threatened to cut me off from our friendship if I kept on seeing him. I knew I was making bad decisions, but the idea that she would cut me off because of who I was associating with, hurt me so much, I got resentful and turned a deaf ear to any advice or support she wanted to give me.

They might be bad decisions, but they're still hers to make. I think if you keep this in mind while you're letting you her know how you honestly feel, it might help.

In the end, I forgave my sister. And I do feel like NOT saying anything at all could be bad for your relationship as well.
    Last edited by starbuck; 10-02-09 at 07:29 AM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    When my sister hated the guy I was dating last year, she definitely told me, but she also threatened to cut me off from our friendship if I kept on seeing him. I knew I was making bad decisions, but the idea that she would cut me off because of who I was associating with, hurt me so much, I got resentful and turned a deaf ear to any advice or support she wanted to give me.
    What a horrible thing for your sister to say to you. If someone close to me told me something like that I'd probably continue seeing the person just out of spite for them.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast