+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to forgive him?

How to forgive him?

Hi all, I'm a brand new member, have never posted anything in this kind of board but I'm at the end of my rope and you all seem so helpful and nice so I'm going to tell my story as briefly as possible in the hopes that someone can help me.

I'm 40. I ended a relationship five months ago. We lived together for over a year and dated for six months before we moved in. I left my boyfriend of 15 years for this man, I was so sure he was the one. Turns out he's not. I left for many reasons, mostly because I couldn't trust him and he didn't seem to care much about me. I also realized I didn't admire him, that I wouldn't describe him as kind, and that's very important to me. Also because he claimed to have lost his sex drive and we didn't have sex for three months before I left. So he was probably cheating too.

I know I did the right thing by leaving and that I'm better off without him yet five months later I still think about him too much. For financial reasons we've kept in contact, seeing each other maybe once every couple of weeks, and I'm trying to be friends with him. I've always been able to be friends with ex boyfriends and he's still fun to be around. Maybe I have to cut off as much contact as possible for the time being?

I have to forgive him for wronging me but don't know how. I love him and hate him so much at the same time it's driving me nuts.

How have you forgiven someone who has broken your heart and shattered your dreams? How have you let go of the resentment?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    time... time is the only thing that will help you get over your feelings of hatred for someone. when you realize that hating him won't do you anything, but fill your life with negative feelings, you'll change the way that you think.

secondly, i don't hate most of my ex's because the past is the past. i won't let it affect my present.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Time is the ONLY cure for that. You will eventually give up the hate, in exchange for not thinking or really caring about him.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I have yet to let go of my resentment from my ex and no I will never forgive her for the Hell she put me in.
    I would like to die knowing the greatest poison of life....LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal View Post
    I have yet to let go of my resentment from my ex and no I will never forgive her for the Hell she put me in.
    You will eventually. Trust me.

It's better to eventually get over it than to be bitter the rest of your life.
    I don't chase, I replace.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So let's see: you can't trust him, he's not very nice, he's a cheater (which means he's a liar & selfish by default) and who knows what else.

I can see why you dumped him. But why would you want to try to stay 'friends' with someone like this? If a guy has issues that make him a bad BF, he's not going to make a good friend either. I would be way more picky about my friends than who I date.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I think you should stop trying to be friends with this person. He is NOT your friend. You don't describe anyone I'd want to stay in contact with, anyway.

You can't be friends with someone that broke your heart and shattered your dreams. Why the hell would you? It's unhealthy.

As far as forgiving him goes, I'm not sure how much value that really has. I mean, pop psychologists like Dr. Phil might tell you that, and religions based on keeping people peaceful and submissive might tell you that, but in my opinion, forgiving someone when they've done something unforgivable is crazy.

You want to get past it? Then tell him to **** off and walk away. Whatever financial stuff you have tying you together can be handled on paper and with emails. I see no reason for you to ever see him again.
    Spammer Spanker

OMG thank you for all your responses!

This is the thing that really drives me crazy....I know he's a bastard who doesn't deserve my friendship but some part of me still likes to be around him....but I guess that's the self-destructive, unhealthy part, right?

I've never been sexually rejected before either. I'm in amazing shape for my age (not to be egotistical but I work hard at it so there it is) and get hit on all the time and the one man I want doesn't want me. That's probably a big reason I can't let go. Argh.

I think you should feel sorry for him ... cheaters are a sorry lot. He will never feel the joy and contentment of committing to a relationship. He will never feel the sense of longing for someone he wants to share a life with ... so he settles for someone he just wants to f**k. He will never feel love. So forgive him ... not because he deserves it, but because he's pathetic. What did he gain with his cheating? A few hours of meaningless sexual pleasure from time to time? I'd rather be you than him any day, even with the pain ... because the pain shows you are a living, breathing human, not just a sexual animal!

You will eventually find your match and be happy ... his future is much more bleak.

Keep completely away from him so you will be free to love again.

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 16-02-09 at 09:52 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by purple flowers View Post
    I've never been sexually rejected before either. I'm in amazing shape for my age (not to be egotistical but I work hard at it so there it is) and get hit on all the time and the one man I want doesn't want me.
    Oh please stop right here.

Darling, I am a good looking woman too. But I do NOT get hit on by drug dealers or criminals. Not their type, I guess, and thank heaven for small mercies. I would feel terrible crushing their already poor self-esteem.

Get it? So, you aren't attractive to bastard, cheating assholes? This is a *good* thing & don't give him a second thought. Leave him to his easy sleaze types.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post

You will eventually find your match and be happy ... his future is much more bleak.
    Carl, you are the best. That is all.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Maybe I have to cut off as much contact as possible for the time being?
    It's for the best, until you get over him completely at least. It's like quitting smoking, if you don't do it cold turkey you will always be wanting more.

How have you forgiven someone who has broken your heart and shattered your dreams? How have you let go of the resentment?
    By having a nice cup of coffee, it did the trick
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    So let's see: you can't trust him, he's not very nice, he's a cheater (which means he's a liar & selfish by default) and who knows what else.

I can see why you dumped him. But why would you want to try to stay 'friends' with someone like this? If a guy has issues that make him a bad BF, he's not going to make a good friend either. I would be way more picky about my friends than who I date.
    That's not very fair is it?There are peeps who could be a very bad relationship partner but pass as a platonic friend.
    Unless that partner has issues that are essential for maintain human relationship.
    I.E irresponsible,promse breaker,gossipers.
    Last edited by UKboy; 16-02-09 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    I think you should feel sorry for him ... cheaters are a sorry lot. He will never feel the joy and contentment of committing to a relationship. He will never feel the sense of longing for someone he wants to share a life with ... so he settles for someone he just wants to f**k. He will never feel love. So forgive him ... not because he deserves it, but because he's pathetic. What did he gain with his cheating? A few hours of meaningless sexual pleasure from time to time? I'd rather be you than him any day, even with the pain ... because the pain shows you are a living, breathing human, not just a sexual animal!

Keep completely away from him so you will be free to love again.

Carl.
    Lmao, nice job Carl I almost felt bad, almost.....

Cheaters and relationship hoppers play roulette with their emotions, its a lot of fast and furious bliss, but it comes crashing down hard with time. Its hard to be the better person but always better in the end and the person people will remember fondly.

Cain is right, you will eventually let go of the hate, but it wont change how you feel towards them, only relieve your demons.

I hated my ex for a while and slowly let go of it. I no longer get mad, frustrated, angry or sad when i see her, she simply no longer exists in my world. I look right past her without thinking twice, erase her texts without even opening and generally feel good inside knowing that I stand WAY apart from her.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 16-02-09 at 12:40 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by UKboy View Post
    That's not very fair is it?There are peeps who could be a very bad relationship partner but pass as a platonic friend.
    What does fair have to do with this?

IMO, the qualities that makes someone good at relationships are very similar to those that make them a good friend.

I don't mean ppl who simply stay with their partners, btw. Relationships do sometimes fail or partners find they are incompatible. But the way people treat their partners when things end is, I find, very indicative of their maturity and quality as a person.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You owe him no friendship or forgiveness, really. Bitterness isn't healthy to hang on to for long periods of time, but you really don't need to feel "good" feelings towards this guy either.

Forgive him if it geniunely helps make you feel better and helps you move on, but don't do it just because you think you should. I don't forgive my sleazy ex for anything he did and I don't have any resentment towards him either. I just don't feel anything towards the guy.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll save my forgiveness for people who deserve it.

The best place for you to be in is one where you feel nothing towards him at all. And time will definitely help you with that.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast