+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Appreciation

Appreciation

My graduate school adviser visited me at my job the other day. Hadn't seen him in years. He helped me to make it through a very rough time in my life--a period of illness. His friendship and guidance played a huge role in my success and health. He gave a speech at my workplace and actually said in his speech that in my career, I would eclipse his professional record, which is an amazing record.

While he was in town, we had a great time touring around or doing research or just talking.

He gave me a big hug when I dropped him off at the airport. I found myself saying something to him that came from the heart--I said, "If I had a second 'father' in my life, it would be you." He said, "That is a very nice thing to say to me."

Do you think that was an okay sentiment?

I think it was.

I try to get close with my professors and mentors but it seems that males do that so much better. Not only you, I have seen it in my ex and current bf. They are very casual and personal with their current and past professors. I may go out to eat but I usually hesitate to get personal. I need to work on that.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

What do you do?
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Awww, CAM. So nice to see your soft side. That was a wonderful sentiment, especially because I'm sure he's aware of how important your family is to you.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Awww, CAM. So nice to see your soft side. That was a wonderful sentiment, especially because I'm sure he's aware of how important your family is to you.
    Thanks! It is unusual for me to be that open, so I ask here for a reaction because I don't really know how to show emotion with people outside of my family--to me, it usually feels like family betrayal to do express real emotion with others, but this time it felt like the right thing to do.