+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Forgive Someone?

How Do You Forgive Someone?

If someone had hurt your badly... tremendously... even altered the course of your life because of their actions towards you... how do you truly forgive them?

I understand that you have to 'let things go'... and find it in your heart to 'forgive them'... but how do you do that? (and I'm not talking about that half-ass... oh I forgive them so I'll just repress it)

The desire for justice... vengeance even... is so very hard to just set aside. I mean... is it even possible? Really?
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why bother? Never forgive. Just forget. If someone has hurt you that badly cut 'em out of your life and be done with it.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Time is the only way I have found that you can really forgive someone. Even with that said, it generally requires the person at the center of it to change in some way so that you can forgive them. Like Gribble said, just forget, theres some things in this world you should never be forgiven for.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

learn from it and move on.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Is anyone ever forgiven? I think it's just another word for holding a grudge or feeling resolved/justified. Either way you'll eventually 'get over' it, whatever it may be... well, I guess forgiving would be to decide to give the person who hurt you another chance to potentially hurt you again. It takes a lot of love to do something like that. I guess that it's just a measure of love from that point.

This doesn't involve love... it's essentially about forgiving someone for making your life so much harder... taking from you what was rightfully yours... trying to forgive someone for the evil they have done.

I can't 'make them pay' and I can't keep dwelling on it (wasted enough time as it is)... so I guess I have to forgive them if I want to move on?
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I'm not a big believer in forgiveness.

I believe that you can get to the point where you understand that this person is deeply ****ed-up and that they did the best they could for you but the best they could do was so far short of acceptable it hardly counts.

I believe that you can get to the point where you understand that what really matters here is that this person can't hurt you any more. Understand that you're a grown-up and you can take better care of yourself than anyone else ever has, and that you trust yourself completely to protect yourself and ensure that you're never put into a dangerous situation ever again.

Understand also that what happened to you was NOT your fault and that you are not tied to this person in any way, not by the experience, not by some unpaid karmic debt, not at all. Think about that person and clearly say, "I want no part of you. Get the **** out of my head."

But to forgive? I don't think so. Assaulting someone is unforgivable, Aeradalia. You need to exorcise this person, not forgive them.
    Spammer Spanker

you gain the power to forgive someone when you decide to take back control of your life

if someone does something accidentally and is not a huge moral issue for you, you should always express that to him, so that the person tries not to make the same mistake again. if he keeps hurting you then you have to shut him out of your life in order to protect yourself.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    This doesn't involve love... it's essentially about forgiving someone for making your life so much harder... taking from you what was rightfully yours... trying to forgive someone for the evil they have done.

I can't 'make them pay' and I can't keep dwelling on it (wasted enough time as it is)... so I guess I have to forgive them if I want to move on?
    Shit on their pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    you gain the power to forgive someone when you decide to take back control of your life
    That's exactly what I was going to say. You forgive to gain back control of your life otherwise YOU will live with misery. Who knows how the other person feel. Why give them that control over your entire life?

The only person you are hurting is yourself. Whatever they did cannot be changed but they don't control you. I refuse to live like that.

You don't have to ever speak to this person. Forgiveness is so that you can move on. Forgive yourself.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

ditto to gribbles comment, if someone hurts me, i'm angry, i let the anger go but never have contact with that person ever again, i see it as a lesson learnt to protect my future encounters. one doesn't have to forgive to move on. but the door must always be closed to that person and event/s. i dissassociate myself from the feelings i once had. it can be difficult depending on who or what happened but letting yourself think about it makes you still involved
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Just forget.
    Forgetting is probably the single-most hardest thing to do. But I will try to let the memories fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    ...theres some things in this world you should never be forgiven for.
    Yeah... I feel this may be true... and this may indeed apply.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    learn from it and move on.
    That's what I struggle with... what did I learn from it? Was there something I was suppose to learn? All I remember learning was how helpless I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    ... this person can't hurt you any more.
    ...you're a grown-up and you can take better care of yourself than anyone else ever has, and that you trust yourself completely to protect yourself and ensure that you're never put into a dangerous situation ever again.
    ...what happened to you was NOT your fault ...you are not tied to this person in any way, not by the experience, not by some unpaid karmic debt, not at all.
    ...Assaulting someone is unforgivable...
    I understand I can no longer be hurt by them... and I do trust I will protect myself from harm (as best I can)... I guess I had always felt I could never fully recover the 'normalcy' I was meant to have... and always attributed that to them... thus reminded of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    This is more to the point.. I'm sure. I'm allowing my life to fall into disarray over something that happened in the past --- something that no longer applies. Not sure why... shock, disbelief, guilt.. etc? The reasons don't matter... the 'wreck' has happened, the shock is over... it's time to pick up the pieces and move on. I still have a life, and I need to be living it.

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    ...You forgive to gain back control of your life otherwise YOU will live with misery. Who knows how the other person feel. Why give them that control over your entire life?
    The only person you are hurting is yourself....
    ...Forgiveness is so that you can move on. Forgive yourself.
    I was hoping to be afforded some form of control by forgiving... and you are right... I need to forgive myself for my perceived 'failings'... not them.

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    ...i dissassociate myself from the feelings i once had. ...letting yourself think about it makes you still involved
    I do try to suppress the memories and feelings as best I can... but different things can trigger the replay of these memories. Though I will try not think about such things within the scope of my control...

Thank you everyone who had posted... it helps to have an outside perspective.

- James Allen

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think forgiveness can only occur when you can quit letting that one incident define you as a victim. But unlike some others, I think forgiveness should be pursued (for YOUR sake), but you shouldn't forget.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

You have to want to forgive them. Other wise you aren't supposed to.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast