+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What it means to be ignored for a video game.

What it means to be ignored for a video game.

I live with a good friend of mine and her boyfriend. I need help on giving her some advice, because I can tell she is being neglected... Basically, her boyfriend blatantly ignores her for a computer game. He plays the game as soon as he wakes up, and as soon as he comes home from work; that is literally all he does. The only time he even glanced at her today was to accept the dinner she had made for him. I can tell it hurts her to be living with someone who treats her second best to a video game... =[ She comes into the living room just to be near him, and even has tried to act interested in his game just to be included... And all he does is snap at her, and continues to give her the cold shoulder. She enjoys video games herself, so perhaps that's why she hasn't confronted the issue... But there is a huuuuge difference between enjoying video games, and using them as a way to make her feel insignificant and needy. She does not see the manipulation going on here, and she doesn't realize that his neglect directly impacts her self esteem. I really care about her, and I've tried mentioning it to her before, but she doesn't seem to realize that it is a problem when your live-in boyfriend would rather put on his headphones and shoot people for hours in an alternate reality than spend time together. She seems to just brush it off like no big deal, when I know for a fact that this is hurting her. What can I do to make her realize that this is wrong? How do I approach the situation without over-stepping my boundaries as her friend and roommate??

- Heather

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinBean View Post
    What can I do to make her realize that this is wrong? How do I approach the situation without over-stepping my boundaries as her friend and roommate??
    I don't think it is appropriate for you to do or say anything. She PICKED this guy. She will address this problem when she is ready, and if you interefere before that time, she will likely rebel against YOU.

If she brings it up, that's another story.
    Last edited by vashti; 03-03-09 at 10:56 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

stay out of it.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Vashti is right, you're not in a position to interfere with what you think is a problem in their relationship.. anyway, your friend already told it's not a problem to her. Well, actually she's doing her best to join her boyfriend on his hobby and to spend time together.. as long as it works for them, I guess there's no problem. Maybe because playing video game is his way of releasing stress from work.. and also to enjoy himself.. cause that's effective to release stress, and I do that too.. it's fun.
    But I understand you though, you're just concerned to your friend.. let her ask for your help if ever she needs it, anyway, she will if she really needs it.
    “Some people are so determined to find blissful happiness that they overlook a lifetime of contentment” -Unknown.
    listening on my music while trying to figure out your situation..

Lead by example. Maybe if she sees you being treated right by someone she'll get inspired to want more.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinBean View Post
    I can tell it hurts her to be living with someone who treats her second best to a video game. She does not see the manipulation going on here, and she doesn't realize that his neglect directly impacts her self esteem. She doesn't seem to realize that it is a problem. She seems to just brush it off like no big deal, when I know for a fact that this is hurting her. What can I do to make her realize that this is wrong?

- Heather

I agree with the posters above, it's none of your business and it's not your place to interfere.

I selected parts from your post that show your absolute arrogance for thinking that YOU know better than SHE what's good for HER relationship. Are you her therapist??

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 04-03-09 at 04:41 AM.

what's the game?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Counter strike?

World of Warcraft?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She said "shoot" so I would assume it's a first person shooter.

It is WoW. I'm a sinner now. I don't play nothing but SoaSE
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 04-03-09 at 08:36 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Sounds to me like you're making assumptions based off what you see. Maybe it's bothering you more than it is her. You should have asked her how her relationship is going by now if you really cared.

And so the best thing to do is just ask about it. If she tells you she is unhappy feel free to talk about it with her. If she says she's happy with it, she will probably ask why you wondered. Then you could mention how it seems like he isn't giving her enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Sounds to me like you're making assumptions based off what you see. Maybe it's bothering you more than it is her. You should have asked her how her relationship is going by now if you really cared.

And so the best thing to do is just ask about it. If she tells you she is unhappy feel free to talk about it with her. If she says she's happy with it, she will probably ask why you wondered. Then you could mention how it seems like he isn't giving her enough attention.

Doppel, I have to disagree with you a bit on this one. If her roomie wants to come to her for comfort and advice on her relationship problems, then fine ... because she has been invited to comment. If roomie doesn't, then 1) roomie doesn't have a problem; or 2) she is not the person roomie wants to seek advice from. I think roomie has already said she doesn't have a problem ... why impose one?

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 04-03-09 at 09:02 AM.

Those in the midst of an argument will join forces to fend off whoever interferes...

All you can do is watch their relationship deteriorate or improve... and wait to be asked for advice/help when they feel it is necessary. That's really all friends can do.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    Doppel, I have to disagree with you a bit on this one. If her roomie wants to come to her for comfort and advice on her relationship problems, then fine ... because she has been invited to comment. If roomie doesn't, then 1) roomie doesn't have a problem; or 2) she is not the person roomie wants to seek advice from. I think roomie has already said she doesn't have a problem ... why impose one?

Carl.
    Well okay, but if you watch your friend fall off their bike, do you wait for them to get up and ask you for a bandaid, or do you go over to see if they are okay?

I'm not telling JumpinBean to douse her roommate in neosporin and bandage her up like a mummy. It's okay to ask how a relationship is going and voice your opinion. In my book, a true friend would not make any assumption.

Where are you from anyway? Here we don't invite others to comment. We just comment. And we sure as hell don't assume everything is okay until otherwise is spoken... especially when a possible problem is afoot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast