+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Online romance?

Online romance?

My boyfriend carries on on internet games as if he's not in a relationship. There is a game on a networking site that he is constantly on (we don't live together, so he has plenty of free time on his hands). You can create a character and interact with others.
    As much as this is just a game, he has made "friends" with women on the gaming site - and he took it outside of the game and added her as a real friend. While I shouldn't be worried about him making friends, his correspondence with these women is leaving messages saying "baby" "sweety" "honey" ect., and it really sounds like THEY are his girlfriends...It seems like only a matter of time before he gets personal with them (he is very sociable, but doesn't know where to draw the line sometimes).
    I know I might be out of hand, but if you're in a relationship, should you be carrying on in a game where there are REAL people on the other end? These girls might not think anything of it, but once you take information into the real world and become real friends with them, it becomes a little more...
    Am I over reacting or does he have serious problems with how he conducts himself on the computer?

Why don't you sign up for the same game. Well me and my fiancee are apart of a game. We both are content creators and it is one of our past times. One thing he has never done is started interacting with other women if it's not about business. Maybe you should join the site? I don't think you are overreacting. I would kick my fiancee's ass if he ever!!!

Yes, Coco, I have joined the game, that's how I found out all the messages he was leaving other women and vice versa. But that didn't phase him. And other women weren't phased by that either. I just don't use the game to socialize like he does, that's the difference :-(

I think your over reacting here... I've played a few of these "online games" and the chicks (if they ARE chicks) tend to be very.... i dunno what the word is. But they use "hun" "honey" "baby" "babe" "sweety" all the time.

As for the "added her as a real friend" thing? Do you mean myspace or facebook? Because that's not much different then the game.

Personally i wouldn't let it bother you until he starts meeting with them in real life. That's a bit much.
    "We are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically.
    That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that.
    It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."
    — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Well, from a guys perspective I have to say that all guys are flirty like that when they get the chance to be, and especially online. I think that until he brings one of those "women" home, there is nothing to worry about. The internet makes relationships so hard these days, and maybe that's one of the many reasons why I'm not in one right now. I have the same personality as you, so I would probably feel exactly the same way about that stuff too. Unless I was with somebody who I was madly in love with, and that way I'd know that nothing anybody says to my woman will ever be better than what I can offer her. Trust is the most important thing in a relationship, if I can't completely trust the person who I am with, then it's not worth my grief to be with them. That's probably why I have been alone through these recent years!

I wish you both the best of luck!

Hmmm... Dang Brooklyn. Well maybe I would just let it be for now. Unless he starts calling these girls and doing more than a net friend should... then I would start to question his behavior. But I totally agree with you. i don't think you are over reacting though. I think you are just being cautious as any woman should be.

I don't think you have anything to feel threatened about, but I can see why you would find it objectionable if some other girl calls your guy "honey".
    Spammer Spanker