+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quit Smoking

Quit Smoking

A week ago, I quit smoking after 15 years.

So far I have found keeping busy is the best cure for cravings. However, as I associate smoking with so many things, I don't go long without thinking about one.

Instead of lighting up, I thought I would post a thread and see what any other quitters are going through; tips, advice, motivation methods, etc.

Trying top quit. Only smoked for a year though. Pretty hard, but I give in a lot. Not because I'm not strong minded, but because I genuinely enjoy it and don't want to give it up.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

I love it too; it's more than a nicotine addiction.

A bunch of my friends have been taking these quit pills that apparently reduce the cravings. Apparently the side effects aren't pretty, so I decided to go cold turkey.

Are you using any aid?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    when i gave up drinking for a day, i picked up smoking... and then i was thinking, why am i wasting my time with cigs when i can have fun with liquor.

i dunno, i never got addicted to cigs, however, i can't give up drinking. in turn, everyone would probably say that you'll pick up gum chewing to keep your mouth occupied.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Ready, set, go.. Ready? Are you sure? GOOD then read:

I smoked for 15 years, started when I was about 15 years old, and I am 30 now, so I smoked for almost half of my life. For that long, I smoked about a pack a day, if you would average out the entire 15 years, it would average out to about a pack a day. Last summer, I smoked so much that when spring rolled around, my throat was so sore. It hurt for an entire month, and I swear I was scared that I had throat cancer or something.

Well, on August 12th, 2008, I said ENOUGH. I had my last cigarette, didn't exactly know that it was my last at the time. After I got done with it, felt like crap, I promised myself that was the last one.... ever. I told myself that if i can't quit smoking, I am worthless, I can't and will never accomplish anything. I quit smoking for my health, but I also quit smoking to prove to myself that I am capable of achieving something in my life. I told myself that if i ever touched a cigarette again, I am a worthless piece of crap..

Well, I have not touched one since, and i feel healthier than I ever have in my life. Food taste so damn much better, I can smell better, I can walk faster, I can run and not get winded so fast. I can actually live my life not being a damn slave to smoking TRASH! My appetite is so great now, I gained weight for a few months but then everything went back to normal. I can eat and not have to touch a cig and ruin the taste of everything that I just ate anymore, and I feel sorry for anybody that I see doing it.

And I'm not scared to admit to all of those poor pathetic souls (including my own mother) that it was so damn easy. If you WANT to quit, you WILL quit and that is the bottom line. I loved smoking too, but I told myself to grow the **** up and prove to myself that I can.

Quitting smoking right now is my foundation to everything that I do, therefore I know that I will never touch that poisonous garbage again for as long as I live. And in the process, I just have another motivational story for everybody to read and be inspired from. Prove to yourself that you are bigger than that crap, don't be a slave, free yourself, prove to yourself that you can.

You can do anything that you put your mind to, and I am living proof of that, I thought that I was weak willed as well, until I proved to myself otherwise. Don't tell yourself that you can't because if you do, then you are lying to yourself. The cravings go away after a few weeks. That's another reason that I wanted to quit, I was tired of being a slave to the cravings. I did not want that feeling anymore. You could go a week not smoking, touch one and right after you're done, you want another. That's a disease, and I did not want that anymore, I wanted to be free, and that's what I am. If you smoke just one to get through, thats one too many, because you'll never rid yourself of the cravings... NEVER! its all or nothing people!!

I started smoking to feel cool and different, and it took QUITTING to actually feel cool and different. And now I feel absolutely sad for pathetic smokers, because they whine and complain at how hard it is to quit. Its not hard, if you want to, wake up and let go of that garbage, don't let those assholes bleed more money from you.. WAKE UP!!!!!!
    Last edited by Anomaly; 22-03-09 at 10:26 AM.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    isn't the reason why we make money is to spend it on things that bring us just a little happiness in life?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Every time that I felt like having a smoke, I just took a long deep breath and realized how breathing clearly, brings me much more happiness than a smoke ever could. I compare my breathing now to breathing in High Definition, compare going from regular TV to HDTV, and then translate that into breathing. So yeah, I'll find better ways of making myself happy! Like for every smoke that I might have had, I'll have some extra breathing time in my life!

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not a smoker, but my fiance is, so I will have one once in awhile b/c they're there. I used to be a regular smoker about ten years ago, but quit.

We intend to stop them entirely by our wedding. It's going to be hard for my fiance b/c he's smoked for 15 years himself, and it is his form of stress relief. His job is very stress-inducing, and it's hard for him to quit, but he still intends to. He knows it's bad for his health, he's not a retard.

In the meantime, Anomaly, good for you for quitting. Just don't shit on other people's life choices in the process. There's nothing more annoying than a former smoker that gets on their soapbox about what pathetic losers smokers are. People that do that make me want to take it up again and go blow it right in their faces.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I admit that I come off as an egotistical bastard with my typing all of the time, but that's exactly the opposite of how my personality is in real life. Everybody that I know smokes pretty much, and I don't even say anything to them anymore. I can see how that would be annoying to anyone who can't quit, but I just want to let people know that I "loved" it too, until I quit. And if I can do it, ANYBODY can, if they want to. I just saw this thread and I typed that out, after spending all night writing a letter to somebody, so I was already too worked up. I didn't even log on here to post anything, until I saw the topic.

Yeah, I still get smoke blown in my face seemingly all the time, and when I inhale a ton of second hand smoke in one day, I have a dream at night that I'm smoking again, and I say to myself "what am I doing?" and I regret it. Then I wake up, and am happy that it's just a dream! Good luck to everybody trying to quit, just put your mind to it, and you can do it. You want stress relief? Tell him to go smoke the green stuff instead!

lol.

anyway, i quit smoking a because my former boss brought her grandmother over for a party we were having and the woman had emphysema. she couldn't even take four steps without stopping to catch her breath. i did not want that to be my fate. i quit by tapering off. it worked well.

but yeah if you're stressed there's much better vices out there for you.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

by the way even retarded people know it's bad for you. i know a lot of retarded people and none of them smoke.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    Tell him to go smoke the green stuff instead!

That shit is bad for your lungs, too.

[url]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm[/url]

i don't think that people smoke pot like they do cigarettes. maybe some people do. a pack of cigarettes is 20. i don't think it's that often that pot smokers smoke 20 joints a day.

also i think it depends on where the stuff comes from. you can get really good organic, pure tobacco totally unlike the shit they pack in those boxes. same with pot. mexico brings in pot stored in gas tanks sometimes. yuck! but if somebody had some organic home grown i think it would make some difference. also with the low grade mexican weed you have to smoke a lot of it to get high, unlike good home grown where you smoke a little and you get really high.

moderation is good in all that stuff. so is quality.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i don't think that people smoke pot like they do cigarettes. maybe some people do. a pack of cigarettes is 20. i don't think it's that often that pot smokers smoke 20 joints a day.
    True, but most cigarettes have filters and people who smoke them generally don't hold the smoke in their lungs for as long as they can stand it....

yeah but i still don't think it compares. holding a couple hits of pot in your lungs for a while is nothing like smoking a pack a day.

but any kind of smoke in your lungs isn't good.

how about pot brownies?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast