+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easing the Sadness...

Easing the Sadness...

For most of my life I have been generally unhappy... easy to fade off into sadness. What little bit of happiness I do feel is fleeting and slips away to numbness. Everyday I have to fight a tumult of negative thoughts just to regain some level of control... force my thoughts to quiet... sometimes they do... sometimes they don't.

Lately I have been consumed by feelings of loneliness (even though I know I have someone who loves me) which combines with these hurtful thoughts and in turn leads me to feel saddened, angered, frustrated, and chips aware at my confidence. It becomes harder to find enjoyment in things... without feeling ridiculous or worthless... I know these feelings and thoughts are irrational, and I do try to fight them off with logic and positive thoughts, but my persistence is waning and I'm not sure what else I can do.

I remember when I was in school the counselor had me on fluoxetine hydrochloride for a few months. At the time, it moderated my emotions... feelings of sadness were short-lived and not nearly so sharp. I was happier for longer periods of time without cynical thoughts following shortly thereafter. I was able to think clearly, not troubled so easily by trivial things... and for lack of a better word... I felt 'normal.'

I can't help but to wonder if it's time I give this another try... I'm usually a very rational person and not prone to impulse... but some of these moments of sadness and hopelessness makes me worry.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well, you know what i think of it.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    have you had your thyroid hormone checked?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    is your body happy? are you exercising? having sex? dancing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    is your body happy? are you exercising? having sex? dancing?
    I exercise everyday... love it actually... but about 30 min or so after a good workout... I go back to feeling more or less the same. Even when I was having sex on a regular basis... still the same types of feelings shortly thereafter... I tend to be too self-conscientious for dancing...

I'm just happy my sense of humor is still in tact... somewhat...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

did you say you lost somebody in your family recently?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

oh wait no i think that was eco...
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

depression can be caused by overactive thyroid gland.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

It sounds to me that you have too much empty time on your hands. You are thinking yourself into a horrible time on this planet.

The secret to happiness is being easily amused. Keep yourself busy doing something you like doing, and be amused. How can you be sad when you are being amused?

I'm going to pass on Vashti's advice as just another suggestion - have you tried volunteering? Some sort of hard work that will have you busy, active, and feeling good about what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    did you say you lost somebody in your family recently?

A childhood friend committed suicide last New Year's... but I don't feel hurt by that.. I don't think... I didn't cry at the funeral, but then again... I never cry at funerals. Then my Grandmother died a few months later, she had Alzheimer's and at the end I was the only grandchild she remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    I'll look into that Indignant...

Quote Originally Posted by lostbutfound4u View Post
    It sounds to me that you have too much empty time on your hands. You are thinking yourself into a horrible time on this planet.

The secret to happiness is being easily amused. Keep yourself busy doing something you like doing, and be amused. How can you be sad when you are being amused?

Lost, I draw, write, construct websites, research laws, rules and regulations pertaining to my work, have a pet (a cat), sculpt, and try to fill my time as much as I can.

I understand the concept of keeping an idle mind entertained... however, these thoughts and feelings do not abate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am in a position now to where this drug is available to me... and was just curious if it would be wise to try this again, considering last time the results proved to be rather fruitful. It would be nice to have this sadness be greatly reduced.

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    I am in a position now to where this drug is available to me... and was just curious if it would be wise to try this again, considering last time the results proved to be rather fruitful. It would be nice to have this sadness be greatly reduced.
    I would avoid drugs at all costs. If you really have a mental disorder, then maybe you do need them. Typically drugs mask the problem. Fix the issues that are truly bothering or polluting you.

Stop putting garbage inside of you, stop using plastics, eat organic, avoid additives and artificial like the plague. Go natural. The world will brighten.

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    interesting. so could an underactive thyroid/no thyroid make a person euphoric?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    You talking about X? That experience can heal and bring depth to relationships. I will agree to that.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    interesting. so could an underactive thyroid/no thyroid make a person euphoric?
    We should all disable it then, no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast