View Poll Results: Picture as wedding gift - good or bad idea?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea.

1 14.29%
  • Bad idea.

6 85.71%
+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Photo as Wedding Gift

Photo as Wedding Gift

My college roommate got married in June. I was at the wedding but didn't bring a gift because I forgot until the day of and then couldn't find anything quick. I've been thinking about it for awhile - I want to get something nice or something they want, but they don't need anything off their registry anymore and won't give me any ideas.

Someone suggested I give a nice framed photo that I took. I thought this was a terribly arrogant idea because it's not like I'm a photographer, or even good at taking pictures, and it's just like "hey here's some of my bad artwork, hang it up." But I have a photo I took in Italy that I really like, and the girl spent a year in Italy so it's mildly appropriate.

Bad idea or good idea? And if good idea, how would you go about giving it? Matted? Framed?

I voted "bad idea" because:

1) Other than being a picture taken in Italy, it has no personal significance to her.

2) It has no personal significance to them as a couple.

3) Because it is a gift of artwork, they may feel obligated to display it even if it doesn't fit in with their taste and decor.

Sorry.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Is the photo of them both? If yes (and assuming it is flattering), then I think it's a nice original idea. Then again, I didn't really care what people gave me when I got married, and I didn't bother registering.

thanks guys. That was my instinct too. I think I might frame it for myself

i think it would be a nice gift. unless they are your best friend or a family member or something, why should you spend a lot on them? it's the thought that counts afterall. i know you have a sudden passion in photography, so maybe that's what you should do.

And I think matted and framed would be appropriate. That's how they'd archive the photo, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    i think it would be a nice gift. unless they are your best friend or a family member or something, why should you spend a lot on them? it's the thought that counts afterall. i know you have a sudden passion in photography, so maybe that's what you should do.
    Well, getting it printed, matted and framed, and sending it to the southwest would actually cost a fortune as far as I'm concerned. I would do better to order something online that I could just have shipped to them.

Matting and framing a photo is actually very easy and cheap to do... just need some materials to do so. You should learn how to do that yourself Lovejoy, you could make lots of money.

Shipping always costs a buttload. Maybe it would be easier to just order something off the internet and ship it to their address?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    whoa june?? this is more than a bit late huh?? a monetary gift is always a good idea when you're shit out of luck for presents.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

if you don't bring a gift to the wedding - you have to gift them money. did you do that?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

If 6 months have passed a discounted divorce lawyer package would be a suitable gift.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha personally i wouldn't expect anything after a week or so has passed..

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...