+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Please help! An online romance...

Please help! An online romance...

Dear all,

I really need some advice...

First I will introduce myself: A female, I am 30, living in Europe, but for the past 2 years I used to live in NYC, USA. I had a good job, and some friends,but felt lie it is not the best place for me there, so I came back to my native country in Europe.

However, I still have my american green card.

Few months ago a stranger contacted me on my skype. We started some chatting, and he told me he was about my age, very similar education, living in Manhattan. I told him about me. It was so strange that he had very similar personal and professional interests...

We continued chatting, every day, started to talk over the phone too... He asked me to go to visit him in the US, but I told him that I am really busy with my job here, but would love to invite him in my country... He said he had a dual citizenship - US and UK.

And said he was going to come to my country for a visit.

Yesterday he told me first that the UK embassy contacted him aver the phone to as him questions about his UK passport.

He went to see them, and told me they had taken away his passport and were going to deprive him from his British citizenship because they said they had no record of his birth certificate.

In the evening he told me something else - that the UK embassy didnt contact him over the phone but by sending him a letter at his home address...

I ased him if that was correct, because first he told me that they contacted him over the phone, and not by sending him a letter...

It was so strange... I was feeling like he is some kind of professional liar... But what for should he lie to me?

While in the US, I was working as an attorney on some immigration law cases... I told him I can help him to renew really quickly his US passport - for about 10 day only...

He said - he never could get this quickly a US passport, even though my friends at the US department of homeland security told me the the opposite...

I really dont know what to think and do... I see no reason why someone would lie about this kind of things... If doesnt want to meet me - he can just tell me.

But he told me he really loves me, and want to be with me and even to get engaged...

What a strange story... Please give my some advice and opinion...

he's lying to u about who he is, probably already involved or something, have u even seen him online?

i hope u havent told him too much... the world is full of freaks.

Jesus...........

This guy sounds like a professional conman, stay away from him.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Maybe you are right, Love Hurts09... But why would anybody lie about such things, especially in this kind of stupid net-chat-story communication?

I live thousands of miles away, am just nobody to him? He could just stop sending me messages, and that's it/...

No, I never had a video chat with him, although I asked him...

I agree with the other guys.

So how did you get your green card?

I got it from the DV lottery, few years ago.

If anyone ever tells you that they want to get engaged after only a few months then that should be a sign that they are a little ****ed in the head.

Stay away. He's lying to you.
    I don't chase, I replace.

stay away from it he could be your worst nightmare... ppl like to take a new identity online to lure them into a trap. please be carefull...

This guy definitely sounds like a conman. This is what guys like that do-- they tell you how they're interested, they surprisingly share all your interests, talk about their love for you and how you should get engaged.

Yet they won't come meet you/something always gets in the way.

Then they start asking for favors like-- can your receive a package for me? Can I get your bank/credit card information? Etc.

Stop talking to this guy. He was a stranger to begin with that sought you out-- from the beginning it had bad news written all over it.

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your answers!

I believe there is a grain of truth in each of your answers...

The guy I told you about told me today over the phone that he fixed his passport problems and is coming to meet me for sure next week...

I dont really know if he will come to Europe, but I guess I just need to wait till next Wednesday to see that...

I booked a hotel room for him in my town...

About my US green card - the application process is trough the travel.state.gov web site, you have to apply each year by mid November, I guess, if your native country is on their list of qualifying citizenship...
    It takes all about a year to get the real green card. You receive it for 10 years, but you are supposed to live in the US to keep it for the entire period. If you live elsewhere, the US border police and immigration officers are allowed to deprive you from your green card anytime...

That is in genera...

Since this is going to be a potential first meeting with someone who is already coming off as fishy, may I make some suggstions?

1. Never meet him alone. Have him meet you in a public place, perhaps with someone you trust with you.

2. Don't go back to his hotel room.

3. Do not invite him over to where you live-- he doesn't need to know your address or be in your personal living space.

Please be careful.

If I were you, I wouldn't meet this person at all.

Thank you, alovehangoverr,

I definitely will take seriously all your advices!

And he promised me that tomorrow we will make a video chat via skype...