+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Job application protocol

Job application protocol

Hey, I know at least a few people here do hiring in their work and I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I was just notified of a job opening that I'm very interested in. My college advisor sent me the info, and it's a job that uses my German skills but isn't teaching, so yeah, it sounds great. I definitely want to apply - application is due April 23.

Here are the two potential problems:
    - There will be on-site interviews in May for selected candidates after the first round of telephone interviews. In San Francisco or Los Angeles, CA. I am in Germany. Travel to site paid by applicant. At least $1200 (I'm being optimistic) that I don't really have available to spend on a job interview.
    - The "anticipated start date" is in June. I get home July 1st and have a summer job lined up that I would hate to miss, but could skip out on if I had a career opportunity. My boss here was pretty understanding and said "of course we'd miss you but if you have to leave in June we'd understand", but I don't think my program really allows its grantees to skip out a month early.

So my question is, how, when, and if I should mention this in my application. My resume states my current job situation but should I mention it in my cover letter as well?
    Last edited by lovesjoyajm; 31-03-09 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    - The "anticipated start date" is in June. I get home July 1st and have a summer job lined up that I would hate to miss, but could skip out on if I had a career opportunity. My boss here was pretty understanding and said "of course we'd miss you but if you have to leave in June we'd understand", but I don't think my program really allows its grantees to skip out a month early.

So my question is, how, when, and if I should mention this in my application. My resume states my current job situation but should I mention it in my cover letter as well?
    That's what confuses me. So basically you're in a program for which you have a grant that includes a job position over summer? Or is it just a plain summer job that is inconsequential and the program thing is a separate issue?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah, i am lost as well.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    That's what confuses me. So basically you're in a program for which you have a grant that includes a job position over summer? Or is it just a plain summer job that is inconsequential and the program thing is a separate issue?
    Sorry for being unclear! The summer job is completely unrelated.

The program I'm doing now, in Germany, ends June 29. I've signed a contract to work till June 29 and I'll receive the grant through the month of June. I don't think leaving early is really a possibility.

I come home July 1st and leave for the summer job July 8. So if I got the job, I'd pretty much have to skip the summer job, which would mean I'd be free as of July 1st, but that doesn't actually resolve things since the job is supposed to start in June and interview in May, when I'll still be here in Germany.
    Last edited by lovesjoyajm; 01-04-09 at 05:06 AM.

Alright then, umm, its up to you but personally I wouldn't apply for a job that required that much merely for an application unless I was living not to far from it in the U.S, $1200 for the mere possibility of being accepted, sheesh, and assuming that it also implies that you would move there if accepted, well, that's a whole lot of expenses unless they give you a large advance if you're hired. Maybe its different for different professions, but personally I would never travel around half the world for a job application unless I was intending to move there already or if it was pretty much a done deal and the interview was just a formality to seal it (or training session).
    Just for us archi students I find having to print out $150 work portfolios for each application to be hefty.

Your boss sounds accepting of it, doesn't the whole grant thing mean that they simply won't have to bother to pay you for the last month? Shouldn't that be quite alright with 'em? Or, well, I guess it depends on who's in charge of the whole contracting if its not your boss.

As for the resumé/CV, I wouldn't put it in since its not yet relevant, but instead you could wait until after the phone interviews, and if you are invited and it becomes an issue I would bring it up to them through regular contact to see if its possible to reschedule (and if you're a bit obscure about it you could try to find out what your chances are of being accepted after the on-site interview, seeing as its a large investment).
    Last edited by Lipp; 01-04-09 at 03:09 PM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wouldn't consider it unless they were willing to do a telephone interview, or skype or the equivelent. If they like you, they may be willing to put off having you start for a month, but you would probably have to forget about the summer job (which I wouldn't have a problem doing since a permanent job is more important than a summer job).

Have you been to Los Angeles or San Fransisco? You should definitely ask about specific locations in these areas. Los Angeles covers a lot of square miles, and there are some areas I wouldn't want to live and work in, and the commute would be hell. Also, the housing costs vary widely. I'm pretty sure SanFransisco would have the same problems.
    Last edited by vashti; 01-04-09 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks Vash. I am not really considering flying to CA for an interview. I was going to suggest a skype video interview in place of. The job description itself clarifies the interview procedure, with phone interviews and the locations and dates of personal interviews, and specifies that they will not reimburse travel costs to the interview OR relocation costs. Doesn't seem like good news for those of us who won't make it at all. Maybe they're trying to narrow the applicant pool?

The job is in San Francisco, and I have the location (address). Do you know SF? Maybe you'd know if it's a good area? 530 Bush Street.

What would you advise as far as letting them know my situation? Just apply, let my resume tell the story as far as where I am and how long I'll be here, and if I get to the personal interview I'll tell them then that I can't fly to SF? Or tell them upfront?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Thanks Vash. I am not really considering flying to CA for an interview. I was going to suggest a skype video interview in place of. The job description itself clarifies the interview procedure, with phone interviews and the locations and dates of personal interviews, and specifies that they will not reimburse travel costs to the interview OR relocation costs. Doesn't seem like good news for those of us who won't make it at all. Maybe they're trying to narrow the applicant pool?

The job is in San Francisco, and I have the location (address). Do you know SF? Maybe you'd know if it's a good area? 530 Bush Street.

What would you advise as far as letting them know my situation? Just apply, let my resume tell the story as far as where I am and how long I'll be here, and if I get to the personal interview I'll tell them then that I can't fly to SF? Or tell them upfront?
    Wait for the personal interview, I think.

I don't know SanFransisco, but tooxshort lives there. Maybe you can PM him. Be sure to ask him if he has any clue how to go about researching the cost of housing. SFO is amongst the 2 or 3 most expensive places to live in the whole country, and your salary needs to reflect that.

Unemployment is pretty high, so I would think it's an employer's market right now, which is probably why they aren't paying for anything extra. Still, if you have the skill set they want, they will hire you. I was able to get a job in a bad market - if I can, you can.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Keep in mind that an employer also looks at how you are leaving your previous position. If it looks like you are, on any level (intentionally or not) leaving your current employer in the lurch or violating an employment contract, it won't look good for you.

If you really want to apply, make it clear that you are NOT available until July 1st. Be up front, and make it clear that you are dedicated to your current employer and the terms of your contract/grant. If you're honest and are worth their time, they'd be willing to push the start time forward.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi