+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Life...

Meaning of Life...

I was thinkin about this during work and even though I'm dead tired I want to get this out before my muse leaves me.

3 theories:

LOVE: This theory revolves around the idea that life was created so that we may learn and come to appreciate and comprehend love in its full entiretly. This assumes that we were created simply for the reason to learn to love one another and become one with this very serious emotion. However nice it would be to believe this I find that the theory is just that, something to make you feel good. Being created simply for love seems like an awful large experiment for one emotion. Although I thought this one up I find its likelihood to be extremely low.

DEATH: This theory is comprised of the idea that life was simply created to turn to death. It may be looked at as an experiment or as a mistake but in the end life ends and all things die. However morbid this theory may seem at first it is held together by one very important argument. As the most sentient species on our world we, humans, accept ourselves as being the highest evolved on our world with no equal. We are the only beings that exist which accept such practices as War, Murder, Betrayal and Hatred. This being said it is safe to assume that we are at the peak of development on our current world. When seeing this and seeing the parasitic nature of humans and how we come to rely on expendable resources and soon use them up it is safe to say that humans are a self-defeating development and are doomed to extinction. With our death will we take along with us the life of this world or will we be content to allow ourselves to cease to be alone. This theory wasn't my favorite. I thought of it and found its likelihood to be 50/50. Although theres a strong argument there it has weak bonds and seems like an awful waste of time for life to exist simply to end.

CHANGE: This is by far the theory I believe most. Throughout the history of the world change is obviously the only constant. We accept change as a daily part of life yet simply deal with it and move on. But what if this was our purpose? We wake up from slumber and we begin by changing our location, we physically move from the bed to somewhere else. We have moved on beyond where we once were, we have progressed. We lose a close relative, life forever changes for us, we must learn to deal with our overwhelming emotions and cope. We are learning, moving elsewhere emotionally and in fact progressing. Would it be reasonable to say that since every action we take invokes change that we progress throughout every second of every day? And if this is the case, does this mean that the reason of life is to achieve a final self through the adaptation to new and greater stimuli until we have perfected who we are to the greatest possible degree? No one can deny that this is a good thing to do, to better oneself. If you look at any religion in the world you can relate it to this. Say you believe in souls, what if you are simply using this life as a medium to better mature your soul to prepare yourself for the next world. If you believe in reincarnation what if you are made to go through life as many times as necessary to get your soul fully prepared for the sanctity that is Nirvana? If you believe in the power of nature what if you need to progress your spirit unto a point where you are able and ready to become one with the world around you. This is by far my favorite theory and the one I choose to have the highest likelihood.

I realize that's a long post, thanks to anyone who read it. They are merely the ramblings of someone at work for far too long. I'd appreciate any comments or anything that others may have theorized as far as what they may feel the meaning of life may be. Or from another angle it'd be nice to hear from anyone who has found their purpose in life. It doesn't have to be religious in any way, everyone can find a purpose to their life. I found mine but it was far too vague so I'm searching for something more specific I can really get to work on fulfilling my reason for life.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I read your post and it was very deep for me as I am currently working on quitting caffeine (day 1 @ 7:40am) - - - so forgive me if my response is less than stellar.

I agree with two out of three of your theories - - -

Love - I do think to an extent love could be the reason that we are here. Not just to find that all consuming love of our lives, but as you said to love one another, to make each other's lives better, to have an impact on other people in a good way. I believe that if you are staggering blindly through this world trying NOT to touch other people's lives you are missing the boat.

But I feel that Love goes hand in hand with Change . . .

Change - I feel that I was put here to become the best version of me that I can, to learn from the people around me, to challenge my mind, expand my consciousness, etc. etc. Kind of like Jonathan Livingston Seagull I guess.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Yeah, I mean when you think about it, life itself could very well just have been created so we could experience these massive doses of change. Causing us to learn how to adapt and evolve emotionally and mentally. That's why it really made sense to me.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I mostly agree with theory 3 Zekk, although change isn't the only constant. Death is also a constant, (known anyone to live forever?). I've read many books on just what you spoke about; more specifically this one....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk_T_Strife
    Say you believe in souls, what if you are simply using this life as a medium to better mature your soul to prepare yourself for the next world. If you believe in reincarnation what if you are made to go through life as many times as necessary to get your soul fully prepared for the sanctity that is Nirvana?
    I'm not saying I believe in any of that, (haven't truly made up my mind yet), but change is the one thing that makes sense. Love is too fleeting and death is just that.....the end. How could the purpose of life be to die? Why bother? No, it has to be change. To evolve. Into something better? I hope so. I would like to believe that we not only evolve into something great to benefit us in the NEXT life, but also the one we are living right now. I'd like to think that I'm a better person than I was five years ago. Or ten, or twenty even. Through experience and CHANGE, I hope I'm accomplishing becoming the best, ME I can be, and in turn, influencing others to become the great beings we are all meant to be. We should all be so lucky as to see that one day.
    Thanks for this thread Zekk.

You're welcome for the thread, I'm glad people are readin it. You say that change isn't the only constant and that death is too? But isn't death simply another kind of change? Change from the living realm into something different?
    Heit ist mein taug.

as always.. Zekk, your insight is perfect..
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    " It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not."
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

Geezuz-It took me reading that almost 4 times...youre always so in depth Zekk.I do need more time to contemplate it though...I'll be back.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

I wanna post more thoughts but the only times I can get on here are before work where I'm groggy and just woke up and after work when I'm dead tired.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk_T_Strife
    I wanna post more thoughts but the only times I can get on here are before work where I'm groggy and just woke up and after work when I'm dead tired.
    I feel you . . . on a random note I caught the on-line tiff between some members yesterday and didn't have the energy to do anything about it - I mean normally I would've had SOME comment to make, but all I could do was watch in bemused horror as the thread spun out of control.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

your not talking about me are you ?

There is a just a slight possibility....

It was a rather big tiff. I havent been around here for very long but I have realised that alot of the arguments seem to include you billy. lol
    - Claire -

well, damn. well, I am in alot of them yes - but do I start alot of them ? no.

I think I have started maybe 2 or 3 arguments on here, but been in about 50. lol

lol. i think you tend to take the arguement with you so to speak when you join. lol. you tend to be good at ending then.

It starts off as some1's argument and ends as billy's. lol

Thats definitly a good thing to be able to do.
    - Claire -

hehe - as jslaughter says, I ROCK !!

lol... you do rock!! (especially as you like matrix)
    - Claire -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast