+ Follow This Topic

Thread: is this a stupid idea?

is this a stupid idea?

I am thinking about flying to germany to see my girlfriend, who I have been in a long distance relationship for 4 months. We still have 4 months to go before she will once again be living in the same town as me.

Yet I feel standoffish about it, I don't know if its just the nervousness of the trip, or how it shows how committed i am to her, or if its that everyone one of my friends has a bad experience with his or her significant other when going and visiting them, in which a breakup soon follows (the last one is just bad JuJu lol) anyway what do you guys think, is it worth it? I dont believe its necessary, I think that we would be fine untill the end, with the in between normal hiccups.

I just dont know, if its stupid or not, money wise, relationship wise hell, some advice from more than one person preferably?

It helps to know what country you're in. There's a world of a difference to flying from the U.S compared to flying from the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by theguy View Post
    I am thinking about flying to germany to see my girlfriend, who I have been in a long distance relationship for 4 months. We still have 4 months to go before she will once again be living in the same town as me.

Yet I feel standoffish about it, I don't know if its just the nervousness of the trip, or how it shows how committed i am to her, or if its that everyone one of my friends has a bad experience with his or her significant other when going and visiting them, in which a breakup soon follows (the last one is just bad JuJu lol) anyway what do you guys think, is it worth it? I dont believe its necessary, I think that we would be fine untill the end, with the in between normal hiccups.

I just dont know, if its stupid or not, money wise, relationship wise hell, some advice from more than one person preferably?

whats juju?

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    whats juju?
    Dunno what he meant but I call my bf Juju because of his name (Julien) :/

Hehe what a funny siuation anyway, I live in Germany too
    If You're from Europe -go , other continent - go. Hey You love each others or not? I'm sure she misses me.I'm in LDR now too and we visit each other as much as it's jut possible. So if it's possible then go
    I wazzzz here

i don't think it's weird at all if you go, i actually think it's great and encourage it
    however, just make sure it is NOT a surprise, talk to her about it and she should be receptive of the idea.
    if she is not then that could mean there's a whole other issue at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by theguy View Post

Considering the cost of the trip, and the conversion rate of Euro/USD, based on financing alone you may not want to go. It is very expensive unless you are studying abroad here. So depending on how strong you think your commitment is and how badly you want to spend time with her... and how much time you have to be with here when you are in Germany. Factor all that in and let us know if it's worth it.

The other thing is that, though the young people here can speak English, the older ones only know a few words, all the signs here are in German, and everything else. If you don't have a basic knowledge of contemporary German you are going to be very dependent on your girlfriend, and if she has other obligations you will probably have to sit at home and watch the walls, waiting for her.

If you ask me, personally, I say go to Germany to see Germany... not your girlfriend. If seeing her is part of your trip, then sure why not. It is likely too early in the relationship to do something so bold and romantic.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 11-04-09 at 04:00 AM.

It all depends on geography, but take it from a guy that flew across the U.S. for a girl...it's a big, expensive risk. I'm not saying you shouldn't, because I don't know all of the details on your relationship, but I paid about a thousand dollars for seeing a woman that ended up treating me like shit and I'm still forking out the dough to my credit card companies :/

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Considering the cost of the trip, and the conversion rate of Euro/USD, based on financing alone you may not want to go. It is very expensive unless you are studying abroad here. So depending on how strong you think your commitment is and how badly you want to spend time with her... and how much time you have to be with here when you are in Germany. Factor all that in and let us know if it's worth it.

The other thing is that, though the young people here can speak English, the older ones only know a few words, all the signs here are in German, and everything else. If you don't have a basic knowledge of contemporary German you are going to be very dependent on your girlfriend, and if she has other obligations you will probably have to sit at home and watch the walls, waiting for her.

If you ask me, personally, I say go to Germany to see Germany... not your girlfriend. If seeing her is part of your trip, then sure why not. It is likely too early in the relationship to do something so bold and romantic.
    Well I have to partially disagree with You.Depends on which place he goes,in some regions older people does speak english.I've met a lot of them,not proffesors or what.Restaurants,Hotels,Clubs,Shops - EVERYWHERE. Well... Actually I fully disagree with You ,everywhere he needs to go he will find somebody speaking english.I don't think he will speak in english with old people on the streets? Come on... Don't make a 3rd world of it.
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    Well I have to partially disagree with You.Depends on which place he goes,in some regions older people does speak english.I've met a lot of them,not proffesors or what.Restaurants,Hotels,Clubs,Shops - EVERYWHERE. Well... Actually I fully disagree with You ,everywhere he needs to go he will find somebody speaking english.I don't think he will speak in english with old people on the streets? Come on... Don't make a 3rd world of it.
    Here in high east Germany, I have only heard English 1 time in the streets.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here in high east Germany, I have only heard English 1 time in the streets.
    Heheh don't get offensive but some Germans from west call them "Ossi Schlampen" .

You know why is that? High unemployment,not very well educated people - gift from Russians.Well here on north,west - tho I speak German I wouldn't have problem to use english either

And for real... To work in hotel they EXPECT employees to know AT LEAST 1 foreign language.It's standard.
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    Heheh don't get offensive but some Germans from west call them "Ossi Schlampen" .

You know why is that? High unemployment,not very well educated people - gift from Russians.Well here on north,west - tho I speak German I wouldn't have problem to use english either

And for real... To work in hotel they EXPECT employees to know AT LEAST 1 foreign language.It's standard.
    That's funny, because prostitution is legal everywhere in Germany. But anyway, there are poor people everywhere, and there always will be. Even more unfortunately, there will always be people to make fun of them. We call them bigots... at least much much further west we do. It's too bad that people don't notice that direction is only relative...

If you have the means to do so, go *to have fun*. Forget the seriousness of "oh, it's commitment" and such, do what you want to do. It'll be an experience for you and will broaden your horizons. Good luck!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's funny, because prostitution is legal everywhere in Germany. But anyway, there are poor people everywhere, and there always will be. Even more unfortunately, there will always be people to make fun of them. We call them bigots... at least much much further west we do. It's too bad that people don't notice that direction is only relative...
    Oh I think You don't know this... I didn't mean prostitution. You don't call nobody who isn't a prostitute a whore or a bitch?
    Dunno.There will always be difference in people's mentality on west,east,north or south. For example I see a BIG difference between people from east Poland and west Poland.
    I wazzzz here