+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unbiased Review?

Unbiased Review?

Not sure if this has been asked before on her or not... but I wouldn't even know how to begin searching for it... so here goes...

After talking about the progress I have been making... dropping a few hints and such... my bf has decided to take up writing as a hobby again... which I am quite overjoyed about. As having an artistic inclination myself, I can understand how recovering such 'hobbies' as drawing, writing, music.. etc... can be like regaining a long lost friend.

He said he had lost interest in writing because he felt he wasn't very good at it... he is probably the harshest critic I've ever seen of anyone in regards to their own work.

He submitted a 17 page piece and wanted an honest opinion from me. Once more he overly criticized his work... and ended this "don't hold back... I can stand up to anything..." In response, I told him... "except yourself... apparently... why must you be your own foe?" And we talked for a bit longer before he had to go.

After reading the story... I have to say, it was a fun read... not overly wordy, painted a very vivid picture, the main character was well developed and interesting, and the plot was quite straightforward with the characters being the cause of the conflict, rather than outside circumstance... which made for a rather thought-provoking twist... considering there is much going on. I really liked how the characters look outside themselves for an end to their misery, when they fail to realize they have the power to do make their lives better... and always have.

My question is... how to give a review of his work without appearing to be biased (that I am just saying nice things for the sake of his feelings)? Despite his criticisms... he seemed very happy to resume his writing, and I'd like to encourage him to keep this up.. if I can.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

You say:

"After reading the story... I have to say, it was a fun read... not overly wordy, painted a very vivid picture, the main character was well developed and interesting, and the plot was quite straightforward with the characters being the cause of the conflict, rather than outside circumstance... which made for a rather thought-provoking twist... considering there is much going on. I really liked how the characters look outside themselves for an end to their misery, when they fail to realize they have the power to do make their lives better... and always have."

Word for word.

Not biased at all ... that's what you told us, not him.

Carl.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Something's not right with his story. Read it again. Find it. Make note of it. Doesn't matter who did the writing, something is always wrong. Something needs to be corrected. Something needs to be dropped. Something else needs to be expounded upon.

If all you do is lavish him with praise it won't really mean anything. But if you point out some of his mistakes or some areas where he can improve, not only will he be more inclined to believe your praise, but he'll improve his writing. Look for words and sentences that could be dropped without detracting from the story. Point out areas that require clarification.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

In other words, as long as you point out examples to him in the text it's not biased.

If it's unfounded or unfocused it can more easily sound biased.

There is no such thing as an unbiased review lol.

On the other hand, I am in alignment with Gribble's suggestion.