+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Where/how to broaden friendship circles

Where/how to broaden friendship circles

Whats are some good ways to meet new people both male and female? I am late 20's male reasonably quiet and shy.

All my current friends (which are all from high school days) seem to be getting married and moving away meaning we are drifting apart. We don't do much together anymore and when we do its the same circle of friends and there is little opportunity to meet others when we get togther. Because of this i haven't been going out as much as i would like so haven't been doing enough socializing and consequently don't meet new people very often.

i need to get out more and broaden my "friendship base" so to speak but i just don't know where to start.

Any suggestions?

What are your hobbies or passions? A good way to meet people is to meet them through something you share in common. I meet a ton of people (mostly guys, lol) through motorcycle riding. Its kind of like a brotherhood in a lot of ways, everyone watches out for everyone else and. We call each other up at random to go ride or just to come hang out and BS while we work on our bikes.

Motorcycles are no different than any other hobby, people getting together to enjoy what they love doing.

Any people from work you hang out with? Its a little cliche, butt do you drink and go out to bars? I wouldn't look for a girlfriend there, but you can meet a lot of people at bars and clubs.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Watch Yes Man. You'll get your answer.

Get a pert-time job at a nice restaurant (not some greasy spoon diner). The people that work there will most likely be educated, entertaining, and so dysfunctional they can't hold a relationship together for more than a few months. There you go. Instant friends.
    Spammer Spanker

Volunteering at local community centers or charities is a good way to meet people. Or joining a community sports team. If you're not the bar type, you could meet people at coffee shops, too. I've always had luck with Meetup.com, too.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Doing classes (dance classes, music lessons) is a good way to meet a lot of new people. Then there are also all kinds of different societies (like Uni music society). There's also meetup.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

thanks everyone, i have been overseas for work for past couple months and definitely got out and socialized more than usual met some nice people even if it was a non english speaking country of which i don't speak a word. I'll be going back for another 2 months soon but I suppose when i am back 'home' i am going to have to look seriously at some of the suggestions to establish some prospects which are more long term, though i do feel like i came out of my shell a little compared to a few months ago..........
    Last edited by 3mwmb; 21-06-09 at 05:12 PM.