+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What are my options here?

What are my options here?

Hi,

A bit about myself, I'm a 23 year old male, decent looking, not fat although I could lose some weight. I'm well spoken and polite. I'm a student at university, and for the past couple of months, I have shared one class a week (2 hours) with a girl.

Now, we usually talk during the class or the break, as she always sits next to me. She is very smart and funny, and breathtakingly beautiful to boot. We live in the same neighbourhood (she's from out of town though, but is renting as far as I know), and so a few times we left university at the same time and walked/took the bus together.

All our conversations focus exclusively on things having to do with what we study. She never brings up anything else (what she likes to do outside of uni etc) or asks me about anything other than what we study.

About a month ago, maybe a little longer, I took quite a liking to her. One day, I randomly ran into her on a hallway and we stopped to chat. I asked her for her phone number (we'd talked maybe 5-6 times already so far, and like I said, she always sat next to me even with seats to spare). She said "No". She then went on to explain that she wouldn't give me her phone number because she was afraid that I'd pester her. She also said she had changed her number many times in the past and even considered changing her name (presumably due to stalkers or whatever). She also said that her boyfriend would not like it if she gave me her number.

She then said that it "was nothing personal", so I just shrugged it off and minded my own business. Next week, she sat next to me again. She attempted to make conversation a few times, but I was pretty distant and didn't encourage her.

Despite this, she continues to sit next to me every week. Today, we sat together and had a really great time talking/laughing and whatnot. Then, by chance, we ran into each other on the way home. So I asked her what her other interests are, aside from school. She said "nothing. Oh I get so bored". So I pushed the issue, and asked her what she liked. She gave no answer. I decided to randomly pick something, and went with tuning cars. She said she actually likes that, although she knows nothing about cars. We walked home and talked... again, about nothing other than school stuff. She wished me happy Easter, and that was it.

Now... I've never gone for a girl that was in a relationship with someone else before. It just never seemed right to me. And I know most people here feel the same way, but this time I just can't help it.

I realize that no one here or anywhere can know "what she's thinking", but I'd really like to know what she's thinking. She seems to be sending me mixed signals, although it could be argued that she just wants to be friends. The funny thing is, when I asked her for her number, I did it in quite a platonic way, and she still said no.

Normally, I'd have given up on this long ago and moved on, but she keeps coming back for more.

When she refused to give you her phone number, she drew a big, thick boundary line. This does NOT mean that she doesn't find you amusing or that she doesn't enjoy your company. You seem to see things in black and white, but there are all kinds of shades of gray here.

She's made it abundantly clear that you go in the Friend Zone. Do NOT push it over the line and pursue her. You're mistaking friendly behavior for interest, and you're dead wrong.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    When she refused to give you her phone number, she drew a big, thick boundary line. This does NOT mean that she doesn't find you amusing or that she doesn't enjoy your company. You seem to see things in black and white, but there are all kinds of shades of gray here.

She's made it abundantly clear that you go in the Friend Zone. Do NOT push it over the line and pursue her. You're mistaking friendly behavior for interest, and you're dead wrong.
    This.

She told you no to the phone number, said she thought you'd bother her, and let you know she had a boyfriend. She's not interested.

As for her other behavior-- it sounds like you're someone she talks to at school and on a bus ride home. It doesn't really have to be anything more than that.

Yup. Friend zone! She is clearly intent on emphasizing "friendship" by talking to you with smalltalk.

The fact that shes changed her number multiple times and considered changing her name seems like a danger sign to me. Besides laying down the "friends" line, she sounds like she could have a potentially chaotic life behind the scenes.

I would say you're much better off being friends for two reasons.

Theres a girl out there better looking than her, who wants to do stuff with you and doesn't have baggage, keep your eyes open.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I'm not even sure you are in the real "friend zone" given her past history. She's probably a very friendly person and doesn't think much of being friendly with guys. As a result some guys might take misinterpret things and thats how you get her having to change her number/considering changing her name.