+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 2 Companies, But Only 1 Frasbee

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

2 Companies, But Only 1 Frasbee

So it hasn't even been a month since the commercial company let me go, and they let me know even then that they wanted me back soon.

I wasn't going to wait around for them, so I got a job working for a guy doing residential and hoping to focus on solar and other alternatives in the future.

So the commercial calls me back today offering me my job back, and told me it wouldn't be considered loss time when I inquired about a raise. I know some of you came down on me for expecting a raise, but I'm making the same amount with this guy as I did them. They didn't make any promises on the raise, but simply that they would perform an annual review when the time came.

At the end of today I let my new boss (residential), about them wanting me back, because all-in-all, I prefer commercial. I was simply going to put in my 2 weeks starting tomorrow, but he asked me how much they were offering, and if I had it in writing. I told him no, though they typically raise their helpers 2 dollars if they get a good review every year. So he says that he's been working on getting workman's comp and that he's been planning on giving me a raise soon, and 14 is definitely doable.

On the flip side the commercial job has 2 prevailing wage jobs going (no guarantee I'll get on them), and a school as well.

Back on the other side, he has plenty of work as well, and he was just estimating a house today. About a week ago, he gave me the keys to his house (one of his projects) and let me continue working on my own, on that note, he told me he trusts me enough that he was looking to put me in a minor supervisory position once I'm competent enough with residential. So it sounds like he wants to keep me.

So now I'm torn.

To break it down:

Both jobs have work.

Both jobs are at least insinuating that a 2 dollar raise is not out of the question. (Need to get it in writing?)

Both jobs offer plenty of learning opportunities, (I'm just starting my 2nd year in the trade).

The residential is offering more responsibility and growth in the future, sooner.

The commercial job is offering paid vacation time and holidays (new).

I started with commercial so I have a better understanding of the work and I'm well equipped with tools to do so. Plus, I'm still trying to perfect my pipe bending skills.

I honestly didn't expect my new boss to try persuade me to keep working for him. Then again, he's only one guy at the moment.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why would we come down on you for wanting a raise? More than anything else your goal should be maximizing the money you get in exchange for your time. You should be pulling for a raise at all times. But you should be working hard enough that you're indispensable so your boss would rather give you the raise than see you go elsewhere.

First off, never, ever, ever, EVER, EVER trust anything your employer says unless it's in writing. Don't make a decision until you know you're getting the better deal and not just lipservice. Second, next time your boss asks how much the other guy's offering tell him 3 dollars more, not 2.

You're in a very good position. You have a job so you can afford to pressure the commercial guys for more incentives. If they don't want to cough them up it's no skin off your back. You can also get away with pressuring your current boss a bit. Play them both and see which side is willing to offer more.

Under no circumstances should you feel compelled to be loyal to one or the other. Remember, your last boss hit some rocky times and he fired your ass on the spot. They don't give a damn about you. Don't give a damn about them. Just the money.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Why would we come down on you for wanting a raise? More than anything else your goal should be maximizing the money you get in exchange for your time. You should be pulling for a raise at all times. But you should be working hard enough that you're indispensable so your boss would rather give you the raise than see you go elsewhere.

First off, never, ever, ever, EVER, EVER trust anything your employer says unless it's in writing. Don't make a decision until you know you're getting the better deal and not just lipservice. Second, next time your boss asks how much the other guy's offering tell him 3 dollars more, not 2.

You're in a very good position. You have a job so you can afford to pressure the commercial guys for more incentives. If they don't want to cough them up it's no skin off your back. You can also get away with pressuring your current boss a bit. Play them both and see which side is willing to offer more.

Under no circumstances should you feel compelled to be loyal to one or the other. Remember, your last boss hit some rocky times and he fired your ass on the spot. They don't give a damn about you. Don't give a damn about them. Just the money.
    Sorry, I copied this from my electrician's forum, they gave me shit for the whole raise thing.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They're a bunch of morons who don't value their time, then.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They don't give a damn about you. Don't give a damn about them. Just the money.
    Oh, I know, this is all about the money.

I prefer commercial work over residential, but I'll do residential if it's going to pay me more.

I'm going to go back to the the commercial company and try to get the 14 dollars in writing.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They're a bunch of morons who don't value their time, then.
    You gotta look at it this way. Many of them are old heads who own their own companies. They don't like the idea of a 2nd year helper expecting a raise, especially in this economy.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That explains it. Of course they don't like the idea. They're the opposition.

Anyway, if you can get some training out of your current employer consider how well that might benefit you down the road. Will the training help in the commercial side? I imagine so but you know better. Even if you don't get the 14 dollars it might be better to stick around for the training now so that you can get more later in the field you're most interested in, y'know?

EDIT: Wait. Did they even offer you training or am I making that up?
    Last edited by Gribble; 24-04-09 at 07:17 AM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That explains it. Of course they don't like the idea. They're the opposition.

Anyway, if you can get some training out of your current employer consider how well that might benefit you down the road. Will the training help in the commercial side? I imagine so but you know better. Even if you don't get the 14 dollars it might be better to stick around for the training now so that you can get more later in the field you're most interested in, y'know?
    I can definitely learn a lot, faster working with the residential guy, big companies it's easier to get lost in the crowd, so if they're not paying for your school, you need to fork out the cash for that as well.

It's easier to learn circuits and how they work between running the wire, and performing service (troubleshooting). New construction, especially commercial, that's something I would rarely see.

Then again, crawling under muddy houses, and in 120 degree attics doesn't get the residential side any points.

Will you have to deal with a different architect for every job? That can... suck.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Will you have to deal with a different architect for every job? That can... suck.
    I wouldn't deal with them personally.

We don't deal with the architects so much as the engineers. Even then, that's for the foreman, and the fat cats to deal with.

In fact, when they're bickering, we all get to take a break until they resolve the shit.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What a great position to be in! I'm sure you'll make the right choice.