+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Corner Shelves

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Corner Shelves

This is a question for our more mechanically inclined forumites. Fraslbees, I'm looking at you.

I live in an apartment. No shed or garage for me. I don't have tons and tons of space. I do, however, have tons and tons of projects I want to work on and I'm getting sick of spreading newspaper all over my desk while I tinker and solder. I got the idea to buy a triangular corner table to maximize the space I've got. Picked one up at Ikea (I love that place) that works just perfectly. If I had some shelves to store tools, paints and finished products it would be perfect.

I got the idea to stick some corner shelves in. Thing is, I don't want to put holes in the wall. So I got to thinking. My first thought was using some kind of spring-loaded rod, sort of like what you see in some shower curtains or closet shelves. It would have to be cleverly designed, though, and a quick search of the internet turned up empty. Next I figured perhaps I could use blades on the edges of the shelves. Instead of holes I'd leave practically invisible slits in the walls. Another search of the web turned up some options but they were "As Seen on TV" shelves and I never trust that crap.

Anyone have some ideas? The shelves wouldn't have to support much weight. A handful of screws, some bits of wood and doweling, paint brushs, stuff like that. I may just try nailing little strip
    Last edited by Gribble; 26-04-09 at 03:20 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

i have a bunch of metal shelves that i absolutely love. they're easy to put together, they don't require nails or screws. i put them shits up by myself.

the nice thing about them is they pack up small and you can use them forever no matter where you go. i paid about 40 bucks for mine.

hth.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

i've never seen corner shelves that were either not made of wood and elaborate or completely flimsy.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Buy a shower shelf. Like this:

[url]http://www.stacksandstacks.com/corner-shower-caddy-chrome-finish/?id=176&sku=30107&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_so urce=googlebase[/url]

Just wedge it between your table and the ceiling.
    Spammer Spanker

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Those are actually pretty neat. They'd almost work except the table I have is actually designed to fold out into a full square table. It's doing double duty as a work table and game table when folks are over.

I think I might try getting some thin strips of wooden molding and nailing them up on the wall with the teensiest nails I can find, then I'll lay a triangular piece of wood over them. I guess it's better to have 6 tiny holes rather than 2-4 big ones.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Honestly?

I would just get some drywall anchors and screws and put the holes in the damn wall.

Best case scenario, you have white walls where you can buy some drywall mud and fill them in, sand them down, and paint it back over.

If it's going to be significantly weight bearing, you'll want to try to find the studs and screw into them.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I think I might try getting some thin strips of wooden molding and nailing them up on the wall with the teensiest nails I can find, then I'll lay a triangular piece of wood over them. I guess it's better to have 6 tiny holes rather than 2-4 big ones.
    This could work, but you don't want to use small nails on drywall, it won't hold. Use proper screws like Fras said & find at least one stud per side of the shelf. You can usually find them by tapping the wall & hearing the difference in sound. Or sight along the wall & look for the screw/mud marks.

How will you secure the shelf to the molding? You'll need to think about this also. You could do this with simple contractors glue if the molding is wide enough, tho I'd still add a few wood screws. Build the unit first, btw, but make sure you have measured where the screws need to go & predrill the holes in the molding. Then all you need to do is screw the piece into the drywall anchors.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well he said it's not really going to be weight bearing, so drywall anchors (no studs necessary), would be sufficient. They're actually pretty strong, and then you don't have to worry about drilling holes trying to find the studs.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah. My tools consist of, well, a soldering iron and a screwdriver. Mostly I'm using the workstation for circuitry. No heavy weight. I wasn't even planning on securing the shelves, though I might see if I can notch the wood somehow so the shelf can't slide foward and slip out of its nook. Maybe cut off a half inch of a dowel rod, split it in half and glue it to the molding, then drill matching notches in the shelves and lay them on top.

Or maybe I'll go with drywall screws for the hell of it. Mainly I don't want to do that because the wall is a weird yellow color and I don't think I'll ever match it up. The yellow was not my idea but I don't really care enough to repaint it.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post

I got the idea to stick some corner shelves in. Thing is, I don't want to put holes in the wall.
    why not put holes in your ceiling and make a hanging book shelf thingy...??

anyways, i'd go with one of those metal shelves that mis suggesting. it's kinda tacky looking, but after you move out, you can just throw it away cuz it's cheap.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, if you're renting, having to worry about patching and painting is a pain.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Miso's shelves would be fine except they'd take up precious space.

Actually, I think I might get something similar only shaped to fit in the corner and I'll just stand it on the table. If I need to move the table I can just sit the shelves on the floor.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hide everything under your bed.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    But then where would I put my empty beer cans and dirty clothes?
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein