+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The big news is.....

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    almost anyone can do their own web designs nowadays. it's not going to be in demand in the future, in my opinion.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Oh god don't do web design. That shit is horrible. I don't even enjoy tinkering on my own website anymore, after a few years of web design.
    Not only that, but there is no real standardization in the industry. Too much competition from crappy so-called experts. Practically anyone can call themselves a web designer. Good ones are much more than someone who tinkers with a web design program. I've worked with several over the years and I learned quickly to avoid those who weren't actually *programmers*. Good ones are also creative, can write well, and understand usability issues.

If you are serious about this, then you may as well get an electrical or computer engineering degree... again, thinking long-term and for job competitiveness.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Well, I didn't just tinker around. I didn't use any web design programs either... I used a text editor for everything except making images.

The part that got me was having to design something for someone else. That's why I dropped graphic design. I can't stand it. I enjoy making my own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    almost anyone can do their own web designs nowadays. it's not going to be in demand in the future, in my opinion.
    Yeah, well there is a lot of crap on the internet too. I mean almost anyone can post a crap video on youtube these days too.

I thought Youtube was for anyone to post a crap video, etc.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

I'm not into anything to do with numbers. Math is my weakest subject so I am trying to avoid anything that deals with mostly that.

Explain the Virtual Assistant thing you said earlier, Indi. Might be interesting.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

You said that you like cosmetology. Have an office located on your home property and schedule appointments convenient for both you and the clients.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    I'm not into anything to do with numbers. Math is my weakest subject so I am trying to avoid anything that deals with mostly that.

Explain the Virtual Assistant thing you said earlier, Indi. Might be interesting.
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_assistant[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    You said that you like cosmetology. Have an office located on your home property and schedule appointments convenient for both you and the clients.
    My reason for being on and off about cosmetology is because of the mixed messages I get from everyone. So many people are saying it's not a big business(which I highly disagree with) and its not making much money and blah blah. Eh...idk it's so frustrating and I got a headache from thinking about this so much. It's actually stressing me out not knowing what I am gonna do.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_annual_salary_of_cosmetologist[/url]

You're going to be looking at maybe an annual income of 30K. That is NOT a lot of money. Accountants, engineers make >100K (some much more than that).

I don't know their exact salaries, but nurses, teachers, other reasonably skilled professions (e.g. trades) like this can expect to make in the range of 50 - 80K annually. Some do better, of course, but that's the ballpark figure.

Of course, there's no point doing something you will hate, but you should be realistic about your goals. Also, something else to consider is your career growth potential. Nurses go on to become nurse managers or more specialized (= higher pay), teachers become principles or administrators (= higher pay), junior accountants become senior account administrators (= MUCH higher pay). You need to think about future career growth also.

No offense, but I don't know any cosmetologists who are making that kind of money. I do see lots of gals in malls working for Lancome who look dead on there feet, working for peanuts, while I buy my tiny $100 jar of beauty cream. Hmmm. I'm not bragging, btw. I'm asking you: Who would you rather be, Nish?

You can do anything you put your mind to, girl. Math isn't as hard as you think, you've just had a bad experience, I suspect. 18 is a baby, tons of time to learn what you need. Don't let that kind of artificial barrier stop you from doing what you need to.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Honestly I dont mind the nursing field at all. I would definitely get into that. But I just really.....really.....REALLY...hate math. Never liked it at all. So I'm thinking about nursing school when it comes to thinking about making more money AND enjoying my job.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, then you have the perfect person to ask about that. Vash just recently graduated from nursing school with flying colours, I believe. Great resource.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Nisha... it took me until now to figure out what it is that I want to be...

I have an analytical mindset which made the possibilities freakin' endless... However, I took a look at my past experiences.. and realized that I am most comfortable 'analyzing' anything involving business... particularly the concepts of money going out for goods, paying for such goods to be serviced (via employees), and then such goods being sold for more than the cost of raw materials and the labor... and seeing how this tally ups into revenue needed for bills... and then ultimately business growth.

It just hit me one day... that in all my piss ant jobs... I couldn't help but to get tangled with wanting to help with the dynamics of whatever business I happened to be working in. I honestly... freakin love it... and that's where I truly want to be. No denying it... I gravitate towards it... and just feel happy when I can offer my advice... see people take it... and watch their business improve because of it. I just love to find the missing clues in the formula's and equations they missed... and present it in a format that makes them think "My god... is it really that simple? How did I miss that?"

So think long and hard... what is it that you naturally gravitate towards... and feel the happiest when you are in the midst of... work wise. Now think about all the possible careers that can put you in that position or very nearly so.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Eh, I noticed she avoided this thread so idk what she will say but hopefully she can help me out. Thanks again.

Yea Im gonna have to think about what I reeeaaaallly can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast