+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The big news is.....

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    Eh, I noticed she avoided this thread so idk what she will say but hopefully she can help me out. Thanks again.
    I don't know about the program Cain was in (LVN, I think?), but RN school is very hard, and yes, you will have to do math, and there is no room for error. The program I went through required 100% on the math exams to stay in the program. I never had too much trouble with it, but I had a solid understanding of stoichiometry (the math used in chemistry), and I liked math. Actually, I think the math was the easiest part of the program by far.

If you are seriously interested in nursing, I suggest you start out as a CNA while you do your pre-reqs. You will need excellent grades in order to be accepted into a nursing program, so don't slack. I entered nursing school with a 4.0 GPA, and the lowest I heard of in my program was 3.5. Even with the requirements for high grades to be accepted, around 30% of the students who got in ended up flunking out. Also, the grading scale is different in nursing school - 80% is considered a failing grade.

things may be different where you live - I understand that nurses outside the states have less autonomy than American nurses, even in places like Canada, Australia, and Europe, so the academic requirements may be different.

To be honest, I wouldn't dream of doing nursing school with 2 young kids, but a couple of people I know did it.
    Last edited by vashti; 15-05-09 at 09:24 PM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I never had too much trouble with it, but I had a solid understanding of stoichiometry (the math used in chemistry), and I liked math. Actually, I think the math was the easiest part of the program by far.
    LOL, the only comment I have is don't use this^ word to a math or physics person. They will be confused. Its not really a *kind* of math, not like algebra or differential calculus, its a chemistry term. Its really just arithmetic (perhaps sometimes some algebra), no advanced math required--just to make it less scary for Nisha.

Are nurses expected to be able to calculate 1/2 lifes of their meds for patients, volumes of distribution, etc? Or do the medicos do this when they write the script? If so, then you'll need a bit of calculus also, Nish, but not too much.

As for requirements, my friend is a nurse (RN). She has a BSc, a 5-year university nursing degree (management). This is for Canada. But there are also 3-year programs that exist. I dunno about those requirements. I do know the university program, the drop out rate was vicious in her first year. My friend would come home crying sometimes from her clinicals, so Vash is right about it being very tough.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 16-05-09 at 04:10 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I love math!

My sister graduated from a 4-year nursing program last May and passed her boards in July. She was a good, not outstanding student in high school (actually was never good with sciences) but she worked her butt off in nursing school and did well.

Of course, vash is obviously your best resource, having done it herself! But I just wanted to give another perspective.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i LOVE my nurses!
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Anyone that doesn't work their ass off in nursing school doesn't deserve to be a nurse. You're dealing with people's lives.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I failed my stoichiometry test in 11th grade so bad my teacher said he'd let me retake it the following week if I came after school every day and studied.

So I did.

Studied my ass off.

Finally took the test, and got like an 82 or something.

I was so proud of myself, proud that I put in the effort and made some good of it.

Then it dawned on me how much extra time I spent studying just for a dumb, good grade.

And gave up on the idea of working hard for good grades altogether and had to take the "stupid" version of the same class my senior year.
    Last edited by Junket; 16-05-09 at 11:37 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    LOL, the only comment I have is don't use this^ word to a math or physics person.
    I didn't, but thanks for the correction.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567