+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a man is supposed to spend 2 months salary on an engagement ring.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Why a man is supposed to spend 2 months salary on an engagement ring.

The idea that a man should spend about two months' wages for an engagement ring originated from De Beers marketing materials in the early 20th century, in an effort to increase the sale of diamonds.

Congratulations to anyone who ever fell for this outrageously expensive ploy.

An ad told all the dumb swooning men that they need to give them more money to prove their love and it actually managed to become ingrained in our culture.

Wow ain't that some shet. I guess I never thought too much about how much should be spent on a ring. I think it's ridiculous to spend so much money. Thousands of Dollars some people spend. Wayyy too much.

Who'd want to pay that much for a pebble (not even a 'rock')...

Everytime I look at the price of a diamond ring.. I can't help but to think I'd love the LCD TV or have a new engine put in the car more...

Sorry... I know it's 'unwomanly' of me.. but that's just how I see it.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The worst part is, is that people expect it.

Brides to be, expect it.

Mothers, fathers, in-laws all expect to see at least 2 months salary spent.

I even heard it quoted on some dating show the other day and it made me cringe.

Nobody knows why they're supposed to, it's just one of those things where because someone else said so, it must be true.

Can always get a diamond substitute. I don't expect my guy to buy me engagement ring that costs a fortune... who knows how long the marriage will last
    Boredom sucks the colour out of you!

That's true Foxy!
    On QVC... my favorite channel... they have something called Diamonique. It's soooo pretty!
    qvc.com check out their jewelry...rawrrrr

Willing to settle for a cheap ring from Wal-Mart...

All the ring is needed for is more or less bragging rights and to show others that you are married.

My family has always felt jewelry was bs... and I have a bf who is thankful I don't care for jewelry at all...

It's conpressed carbon! Far more useful as an industrial drill or cutter...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

There are several other types of fake diamonds - cubic zirconia, I can't remember the others. They don't use child labour too

It must be like what Giga said before. Guys find achievement in getting laid and it's reciprocated along the board with others. Girls find achievement in the size of their rock.

I have no problem coughing up for a girl who is really worth it. The real problem is that, there aren't many girls worth that much.

Actually, thinking about how much women in my vicinity are really worth, depresses me.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I thought it was 3 months, clearly I am out of the marriage loop . No worries though, this shouldn't be a worry for another 5-10 years.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

it's a total racket.

i've been hearing all the wedding ring commercials on the radio. "nothing says i love you like an expensive diamond ring of some sort."

it's sad that a lot of girls buy into that shit.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Recycle - use your mother's engagement ring, that's romantic and sweet too.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyLaydee View Post
    Recycle - use your mother's engagement ring, that's romantic and sweet too.

Or better yet.. sell the ring and pay the bills for the next few months... nothing like starting a marriage off on the right financial foot.

- James Allen

I want a diamond ring one day, married or not. I don't exactly know why. But whether it's for an engagement, or for the heck of it, I plan on paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Or better yet.. sell the ring and pay the bills for the next few months... nothing like starting a marriage off on the right financial foot.
    That's a little too practical, but I hear what you're saying.

It's too bad that people think of love in materialistic terms so often. What happened to, it's the thought that counts? I know I wouldn't care what I got as long as it was with someone that I truly loved, not for their wallet. But, for my personally, I'd want something that fit me. But two months worth of salary is ridiculous. I'd be scared to wear the thing for fear of losing it.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast