+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: counseling

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    My friends tell me I'm crazy basically. I had severe self harm issues but basically replaced it with a different bad habit, it comes back from time to time still though. I spend money recklessly, and I'm almost always restless. I'm usually up at 2-4 in the morning calling ppl
    Last edited by Bo; 18-05-09 at 01:41 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    are you serious?? i don't understand what could possibly be so hard in your life that you are in need of counseling. however, if a small fee i can be your counselor and you won't have to have that fear of stepping into my office. everything will be via the internet.

raverboy
    I don't know if you'd be able to handle it honestly, I'm a handful to deal with at times.

Users Country Flag
    Vash would you say that depression is over diagnosed than?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by .Bo. View Post
    My friends tell me I'm crazy basically. I had severe self harm issues but basically replaced it with a different bad habit, it comes back from time to time still though. I spend money recklessly, and I'm almost always restless. I'm usually up at 2-4 in the morning calling ppl
    This is the problem right here^. Don't sound so bloody *proud* of acting crazy. While true insanity is a sad, difficult thing, its NOT something to be proud of. Its something to be worked through. The truly crazy people I've seen were much worse off than you seem to be & they do not spend their time posting reasonably coherently on the internet.

I completely agree with Vash. There is likely nothing wrong with you except you are looking for a label to perhaps explain some other character aspects you need to work on. And I also agree with Vash that most psych medicos are nutcases themselves.

Why don't you pick up a copy of something like "7 habits of highly effective people"? Your local library will have a copy. I bet you have some bad habits that, if you quit them, will help you to become a happier, healthier person. Without over prescribed drugs that just make the pharmaceutical companies rich & allow the docs to bill their 15 minutes for.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    Ok and if i were a forty year old widowed woman saying the same things i could guarantee i'd get a different reaction. I think you guys are being very biased, i'm not proud to be like this. The point is i wouldn't be posting here if i was. Or i would be saying something along the lines of 'i'm crazyyyyyy and i fcuking love it!!!!!!!!! wooohooooo'. It's gotten to the point where i got arrested, and it has ruined a lot of things for me. Part of the reason my depression came on is because i didn't grow up in a 'normal' family. I'd love to be a regular happy person but guess what ppl? I'm not

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A 40 year old widow isn't crazy, she's grieving. So, yes, that's a different situation. Her depression would have an actual cause that is understood and would improve with time & the right support.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I'm usually up at 2-4 in the morning calling ppl
    I remember reading about the 4 O'clock insomnia as one of the symptoms of bipolar somewhere.

It sounds pretty intense of what you are going through. Though don't help anyone to diagnose you, if you visit a doctor let them come to their own conclusions. Don't settle for just medication as well, there are a lot of different types of therapies that should be able to help you if this is indeed what you have.

Since this is a medical issue, I don't think anyone here will be able to offer you a solution. Good luck Bo, I hope you will find a doctor who will be able to help you.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree, so see a doc & see what he says. Most are reasonable, so I bet he'll tell you to just get more sleep & exercise.

I hope you listen to him, tho, and don't just go find another doc who *will* write you a script.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    A 40 year old widow isn't crazy, she's grieving. So, yes, that's a different situation. Her depression would have an actual cause that is understood and would improve with time & the right support.
    I didn't mean widow as in her husband recently died; of course she would be depressed anyone would be. But if she were in the same situation, she'd get a different reaction simply because of her age. And as much as anyone might deny that they're not biased against youngins like myself, they're lying. Which i could understand since i am that way towards ppl younger than i am but i'm hoping that somebody can look past what vash calls 'teen angst'. I'm fairly over that stage in my life, i'm turning 19 this year and i'd prefer not to have my situation referred to as 'teen angst' as i'm positive it's not...whether or not i have a mental disorder
    Last edited by Bo; 18-05-09 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added the wrong quote i was replying to

Users Country Flag
    And why's everyone thinking i want medication? i just want someone to tell me what the fcuk is wrong with me and i really don't know if i should go to a counselor or not.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My post wasn't age-biased. I had no idea your age until you just posted it.

But, yes, 19 is prime age for 'teen angst', particularly for females. Vash is absolutely correct about this. Your hormones these last few years are, literally, causing your brain function to change. Its a rough time for a lot of young women.

I am very serious about this. The very best advice I can give you is to spend more of your day pausing & thinking about things before doing. If you want to read more, there is a book called 'The Female Brain' you can pick up from the library. Its written by a woman MD, but the book is written for the lay public, you should get it.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Female_Brain[/url]
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    And why's everyone thinking i want medication? i just want someone to tell me what the fcuk is wrong with me and i really don't know if i should go to a counselor or not.
    I just told you what is wrong. Go get the book. I won't even charge you for the session.

There is nothing wrong with going to a counselor, tho. Just don't expect them to solve your problems for you, that's not their job.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I just told you what is wrong. Go get the book. I won't even charge you for the session.

There is nothing wrong with going to a counselor, tho. Just don't expect them to solve your problems for you, that's not their job.
    I know counseling isn't meant to solve anyone's problems, maybe i just need help coping with problems which counselors are supposed to do. But like i said i'm very unsure because of past experiences with them. It would always just go in circles and really they never helped me figure anything out about myself. It was just them asking me pointless questions and not understanding what the hell i was telling them. I don't want to see a counselor or a doctor if i'm just going to have the same experience, it would be a waste of an hour of my life and leaving more agitated than when i got in there. NOT worth it.

I'd say my 'teen angst' stage came when i was around 14-16.
    Last edited by Bo; 18-05-09 at 02:29 PM. Reason: just adding...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    (Good) counsellors don't fix problems and don't tell you what to do. They are supposed to be a non-judgmental, safe place to express yourself. Sometimes, they will provide you information to make you think about things, or give you suggestions about alternate ways to deal with life situations.

Unless one is motivated to solve things for oneself, however, counselling is a waste of time & money. True.

But, sometimes, life is simply about waiting, or slogging through the 'now'. Maturing. Time is actually the best counsellor of all for certain things. Think about the things in your life that are 'issues'. Consider what the urgency is about these things, and whether mentally stepping back and just letting things happen might not be a better way to approach things. Things are rarely as bad as people pysch themselves up to think.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Bo.,

I would like to suggest to look for a neuro-psychologist in your neighbornhood who works with something called: mindfulness training.

You can not change whom you are, but you can come to accept yourself as you are, and be aware (mindful) of your unhealthy and toxic habbits and find healthy, non-toxic ways to replace those unhealthy and toxic habbits.

Anti-depressants don't help. They only prevent certain chemicals to be released in the brain, thust taking away symptoms like anxiousness or fear. They do not address the actual problem, which are unhealthy or toxic habbits.

I also have the impression that you are not surrounded by suportive friends, since they call you crazy. I would suggest to maybe cut contact with those people, because all they are doing, is enabling you to keep on thinking in a toxic and unhealthy way about yourself.

There is no miracle cure or magical pill that will 'cure' you.

But if you are willing to commit yourself to years of hard work (yes, years), you eventualy will be able to lead a constructive, healthy and fullfilling life.

On another note: all those people who posted here and had demeaning and degrading remarks: whom are you to judge another person?

Bo., don't let those people talk down on you. You are on the right track with wanting to go counseling. Try to find a counselor you can relate with, not a pill pusher but someone whom you feel you can trust and whom it clicks with, someone who is not judgemental and not biassed. And preferable someone who knows about mindfulness training.

I wish you all the best in your road to a healthier and fuller life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast