+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: counseling

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    and you are probably nothing more than a young girl filled with angst that you will outgrow.

So what's your excuse?

Or is this projection.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Bipolar disorder is the "designer" mental illness of the decade. In the 90s, it was ADHD. Designer mental illnesses are fads, but the labels they stick on you last. I suggest you be careful about allowing someone to diagnose you with a mental illness. It's not as "cool" as you imagine, and you are probably nothing more than a young girl filled with angst that you will outgrow.
    Wow, another bullshit reply. Vashti, people don't go to psychiatrists because they think having a mental illness is "cool". People seek treatment because they want to get better.

They are not fads. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. You really need to stop reading People Magazine.

You've never seen someone who has bipolar disorder. My good friend has bipolar disorder and I've talked him out of suicide many times.

These bullshit replies are really making me angry.
    Last edited by Raze; 07-08-09 at 10:55 PM.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Raze, Vash isn't denying there are people who are legitimately sick out there. She is saying, correctly, that these psych labels are way overused. They are also often used by people to excuse what really boils down to poor self-esteem and/or lack of self-control. We are a society that loves easy labels to excuse our behaviour and hates the hard work involved to change it.

I spent two years as a student doing summer rotations (4 months, full time) on a few clinical pysch wards. I've seen acute cases, long term cases and elderly dementia at all stages. THOSE folks (who are involuntarily admitted) are sick. Not most angst-filled hormonal teenagers.

Most people who style themselves 'bipolar, ocd, ADHD, narcisstic, passive-agressive', and so on, frankly don't have a freaking clue what it is like for people who *really* suffer from mental illness.

Psychiatrists don't do all that good a job helping people, IMO. They do a good job medicating them into oblivion. Psychologists/counsellors aren't much better. They focus on behaviour, and not drug therapy, but I don't know anyone who has gotten results from them that they couldn't have gotten from just a bit more willpower or good support from friends and family.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Wow, another bullshit reply. Vashti, people don't go to psychiatrists because they think having a mental illness is "cool". People seek treatment because they want to get better.

They are not fads. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. You really need to stop reading People Magazine.

You've never seen someone who has bipolar disorder. My good friend has bipolar disorder and I've talked him out of suicide many times.

These bullshit replies are really making me angry.
    bipolar disorder, suicide attempts... are all for lazy and weak minded people. grow up and smell the coffee, child.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    bipolar disorder, suicide attempts... are all for lazy and weak minded people. grow up and smell the coffee, child.
    FML, here we go again. Do I really need to argue with you again on why you're wrong?
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Misconceptions about mental illness are pervasive, and the lack of understanding can have serious consequences for millions of people who have a psychiatric illness, according to the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD). The largest not-for-profit organization raising and distributing funds for psychiatric research, NARSAD surveyed mental health professionals nationwide to determine the most common myths about mental illness. NARSAD received 102 responses from the experts, who included members of NARSAD's Scientific Council and psychiatrists around the country.

"Misconceptions about mental illness contribute to the stigma, which leads many people to be ashamed and prevents them from seeking help," said Constance Lieber, NARSAD President. "Dispelling these myths is a powerful step toward eradicating the stigma and allaying the fears surrounding brain disorders."

Top Ten Myths about Mental Illness

Myth #4: Depression results from a personality weakness or character flaw, and people who are depressed could just snap out of it if they tried hard enough.
    Fact: Depression has nothing to do with being lazy or weak. It results from changes in brain chemistry or brain function, and medication and/or psychotherapy often help people to recover

Myth #6: Depression is a normal part of the aging process.
    Fact: It is not normal for older adults to be depressed. Signs of depression in older people include a loss of interest in activities, sleep disturbances and lethargy. Depression in the elderly is often undiagnosed, and it is important for seniors and their family members to recognize the problem and seek professional help.

Myth #8: If you have a mental illness, you can will it away. Being treated for a psychiatric disorder means an individual has in some way "failed" or is weak.
    Fact: A serious mental illness cannot be willed away. Ignoring the problem does not make it go away, either. It takes courage to seek professional help.

Sonrisa, I'm really getting fed up with your stupidity. Once again, you have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about. I'm starting to think that you live in a cave without ever having a conversation with anyone.
    Last edited by Raze; 08-08-09 at 03:38 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i think you should be given a Nobel prize for knowing it all.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    is there a person left on this board whom she hasn't called stupid for having a different opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Raze, Vash isn't denying there are people who are legitimately sick out there. She is saying, correctly, that these psych labels are way overused. They are also often used by people to excuse what really boils down to poor self-esteem and/or lack of self-control. We are a society that loves easy labels to excuse our behaviour and hates the hard work involved to change it.

I spent two years as a student doing summer rotations (4 months, full time) on a few clinical pysch wards. I've seen acute cases, long term cases and elderly dementia at all stages. THOSE folks (who are involuntarily admitted) are sick. Not most angst-filled hormonal teenagers.

Most people who style themselves 'bipolar, ocd, ADHD, narcisstic, passive-agressive', and so on, frankly don't have a freaking clue what it is like for people who *really* suffer from mental illness.

Psychiatrists don't do all that good a job helping people, IMO. They do a good job medicating them into oblivion. Psychologists/counsellors aren't much better. They focus on behaviour, and not drug therapy, but I don't know anyone who has gotten results from them that they couldn't have gotten from just a bit more willpower or good support from friends and family.

Okay, well I hate to burst your bubble, but you are wrong. lol. Depression is a mental illness that can only be treated with drugs because people with depression don't have enough seratonin in their brain. Their brain chemistry is messed up.

Schizofrenia can't be treated with therapy. You're telling me that a person who has delusions is going to get help from therapy alone? WRONG.

I could find source after source if you really wanna get into with me on this.

Man, sometimes I feel like the only one on here who has had at least basic education. Why do you people comment on something you have no freaking clue about?

is there a person left on this board whom she hasn't called stupid for having a different opinion?
    No, I should be given a prize for actually knowing what the hell I'm talking about instead of bullshitting out of my ass and making people who actually know what they are talking about angry.

You basically just belittled all of psychiatry and probably half the people that doctors see for not knowing shit about what you're talking about. Great job!

And by the way, I'm a guy. lol. WRONG AGAIN.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    great, even those of us who work in a medical field now have no clue what we are talking about. that's young people nowadays. always thinking they got an answer for everything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    blah blah blah. how old are you and what kind of work are you in? and then we can take you seriously. otherwise shut your hole.

blah blah blah. how old are you and what kind of work are you in? and then we can take you seriously. otherwise shut your hole.
    There is no way you work in the medical field. If you do, you are horrible, horrible, horrible and should have been fired already. No effin way.

First: You are against using drugs to cure illnesses

Second: You don't give a shit about people with mental illnesses

Third: You think everyone that tries to commit or has a disorder is weak.

Fourth: I remember seeing a post somewhere by you that said you advocate pot.

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU? Working in the Medical Field my ass.

If you must know, I work for Federal Government in the Medicaid Division, so I do know a little bit of what I preach about since I deal with paying medical bills.

How about you shut you're ****ing hole? I would be tempted to save this post for future reference if you are actually in the medical field. Great lawsuit material.

YOU AREN'T MAKING ANY SENSE? DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH SENSE YOU'RE NOT MAKING? OH MY FUCCCKKIIINGGG GOOODDD!!!!!!!! Are you for real? I should be laughing your posts but I'm just shocked in utter dismay.

If you're in the Medical Field, why don't you spend your time helping people instead of arguing with me all the time you stupid cunt?

Man, a bunch of psychos on here! Did you all just come out of the closet at once? I am incredibly shocked by this shocking personality change.
    Last edited by Raze; 08-08-09 at 03:58 AM.

The Toll of Mental Illness

One in five Americans suffers from a diagnosable mental illness in a given year. But statistics show that only one-third of these individuals seek treatment.

Four of the 10 leading causes of disability worldwide are mental disorders. Among developed nations, including the United States, major depression is the leading cause of disability. Also near the top of these rankings are manic-depressive illness, schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

The direct cost of mental health services, which includes spending for treatment and rehabilitation, is approximately $69 billion in the United States. Indirect costs, which refer to lost productivity at the workplace, school, and home, are estimated at $78.6 billion.

In short, go to counseling. It's there for a reason.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast