+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: counseling

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Raze, you didn't understand my post. I didn't say that mental illness doesn't exist, I said that the labels are overused.

I know someone who works for medicaid. They have a bachelors degree in nutrition and have no experience actually working in the field of mental health (or any health). Sitting on your ass in front of a computer deciding whether to fill someones claim form is not experience.

Do you have an MD, PhD or at least a nursing degree?

I have one of those, Vash has another. In fact, one of my earlier degrees is in psychology. As I said, I have actually worked in a psych hospital, worked with these patients *directly* so I know what real mental illness looks like.

Stop posting your statistics, they are irrelevant to what Vash & Dig (and now I) am saying. We don't deny mental illness exists. We do know that too many people who *aren't* really ill use it as an excuse to not accept responsibility for themselves. Antidepressants are too easily and over-prescribed. Know how I know? B/c if I went into a clinic and made a specific set of complaints, I could walk out with a prescription I don't need.

So, what is your point Raze? Are you really saying that you think that every person who claims they are OCD/depressed/whatever really are? Do you really think that the doc that prescribes Xanax like its candy is really helping these people?

BTW, your friend who is suicidal is very likely sick. But that's not the majority of teenagers.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 08-08-09 at 05:40 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post

In short, go to counseling. It's there for a reason.
    Yes. LOL. Its to help those counsellors pay for their BMWs.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Yes. LOL. Its to help those counsellors pay for their BMWs.
    You're assuming all counselors are rich and are in it for the money. Yikes.

Projection much?

By the way, saying you have all those degrees isn't helping your case any.

And yes I actually do think doctors and counselors HELP people.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Pharmaceutical industry is blooming like no other. It wants nothing to with quality of their drugs or with people's needs. Little kids are being prescribed drugs if their behaviour is a little our of the ordinary. Anyone with any issue can request any kind of drug they'd like to take. Patients are not willing to do any self-work or self-realization when there's an easier way of popping a drug into their mouth.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Raze (and anyone else who cares), are you aware that the number of defined mental disorders has been increasing steadily since the Diagnostics and Statistical Manual (DSM), the Shrink's bible, was introduced around 50 years ago?

When I was in school, we were learning from DSMIII, now they are up to DSMV and the thing is busting at the seams.

Here's a telling excerpt from a recent letter to the APA board from two prominent clinicians involved in the 2009 DSMV task force:

The suggested subthreshold and premorbid diagnoses.... If these were to become official categories in DSM-V ... could add tens of millions of newly diagnosed "patients"- the majority of whom would likely be false positives subjected to the needless side effects and expense of treatment. The APA might well be accused of a conflict of interest in fashioning DSM-V to create new patients for psychiatrists and new customers for the pharmaceutical companies.

Do you need that translated, Raze? They are saying that people who aren't really sick stand a good chance of being diagnosed as such under the new criteria. The psychs are *inventing* new types of mental illness.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

By the way, saying you have all those degrees isn't helping your case any.

And yes I actually do think doctors and counselors HELP people.
    You mean education AND experience doesn't count as much as your *personal* opinion. Well, of course it doesn't, otherwise it would make you.... wrong?

Again, I didn't say counsellors and psychiatrists don't help people. I have friends who are both. Read much?

God, I have to get back to work. Read my last post, Raze and learn something based on FACT instead of just self-reinforcing your own opinion. I'm starting to wonder if you don't have a mental illness, which is why you are so crazy about this topic.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

s_b is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    .Bo. - here's a link to another field of thought about the treatment of depression and mental anxiety which is not drugs or counsellor/therapist based.

[url]http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/depression_disorder.html[/url]

Might be something useful in there - I had a quick scan of it and it seems non-invasive and common sense so give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You mean education AND experience doesn't count as much as your *personal* opinion. Well, of course it doesn't, otherwise it would make you.... wrong?

Again, I didn't say counsellors and psychiatrists don't help people. I have friends who are both. Read much?

God, I have to get back to work. Read my last post, Raze and learn something based on FACT instead of just self-reinforcing your own opinion. I'm starting to wonder if you don't have a mental illness, which is why you are so crazy about this topic.
    I'm starting to wonder if you got your degree in a third world country. Were you trained by the Taliban? Since you're in the medical industry, I assume you know all about HIPPA? Moron. Stop telling people doctors don't do anything. Are you even from the US? I'm wondering about you're citizenship. By the way, your friends are cunts and should quit their jobs if they aren't going to help people. Bastards.

The hole you're creating is just getting deeper and deeper... If you aren't going to help people, just quit your effin job. You sound like piece of work to me, psycho.

I like this topic because

a) You're an idiot
    b) You're an idiot
    c) You're an idiot
    Last edited by Raze; 08-08-09 at 11:56 PM.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    it's a good thing that this thread isn't derailed yet... makes me all giddy on the inside.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'll repost this b/c obviously it was missed:

Here's a telling excerpt from a recent letter to the APA board from two prominent clinicians involved in the 2009 DSMV task force:

The suggested subthreshold and premorbid diagnoses.... If these were to become official categories in DSM-V ... could add tens of millions of newly diagnosed "patients"- the majority of whom would likely be false positives subjected to the needless side effects and expense of treatment. The APA might well be accused of a conflict of interest in fashioning DSM-V to create new patients for psychiatrists and new customers for the pharmaceutical companies.

Do you need that translated, Raze? They are saying that people who aren't really sick stand a good chance of being diagnosed as such under the new criteria. The psychs are *inventing* new types of mental illness.
    PS - for those who don't know, "clinician" = DOCTOR (who treats patients)

I love it when I'm right and all they can do is name-call b/c they have nothing intelligent to say.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

WTF I'm name calling because you work in the medical field and say that they don't help people. You're merely a contradiction. You make no sense, that's why I'm name calling. Why don't you stop your bitching, get off your ass, and help someone?

These are the main points I'm pissed about:

According to you

1) Psychiatrists don't do anything/People with mental illnesses are just weak
    Biggest piece of bullshit I've ever heard. Until you have a friend that's suicidal, you will never understand the benifits that come along with psychiatry. I understand that you think psychiatrists are inventing new illnesses, but I see no problem. I see a problem if they don't help people, but they are helping people.

As for the second part, are you effin kidding me? People who struggle with mental illnesses are the strongest people I know. Saying that when you work in a medical field is terrible. That's why I'm questioning where you were trained or where you got your degrees. You should be on the side of the patient, not the other way around. You just sound like a horrible, horrible person. I'm assuming you have never helped someone in you're life because you sure as hell sound like it.

2) Doctors don't do anything but prescribe drugs
    Think of it like this: A diabetic needs insalin (sp?) to stay alive. Someone with a certain mental illness needs certain drugs to stay alive, and by that I mean not hallucinating, not having suicidal thoughts, not affecting the quality of life of other people in a negative way. Some people need drugs to function in society just like a diabetic needs insalin.

I don't know what kind of doctors you've been around, but I've been around a lot of good doctors that actually CARE about their patients and HELP them.

You bitch about psychologists finding new illnesses and such, well give me evidence that more and more people are committing suicide or people aren't living longer. Find me evidence that supports the claim that the quality of life is worse now than it was.

"Statistics are bullshit"
    They are bullshit if you have no idea how to translate it. Why don't you crack open a statistics book and actually learn something rather than arguing with me?

You still make no sense. And no you're not right, you sound like a piece of trash who has never been told they are wrong about something and you're projecting at me because I am telling you that you are wrong. What exactly are you right about? All I'm hearing from you is stuff that is completely politically incorrect. I'm not missing anything you say, dear. I'm well aware of everything you have posted and that's why I am arguing with you.

You sound like a child when you say, "I love it when I'm right." You have no argumentative skills whatsoever. That's like going to a debate and saying "Yeah? Well F U." Stupid cunt.
    Last edited by Raze; 09-08-09 at 05:19 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, Raze. Its clear you aren't a doctor. Of any sort.

If you want to learn something further from me, you'll first have to apologize for your posts and then ask nicely. You can't demand answers from anyone the way you do and actually expect a serious reply.

You are, of course, welcome to continue to post like a crazy person who has no self-control. This is your problem, tho, not mine. It won't get you far in the world with people like me, tho I'm sure you already know this.

And yes, I'm still right. So is Vash and Sonrisa. You'll have to think a bit more to understand why and re-read our posts more carefully.

Think more, react less.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    shame on you, indi - you horrible, horrible person!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You've never seen someone who has bipolar disorder. My good friend has bipolar disorder and I've talked him out of suicide many times.
    yes i have. I worked in a psych ward for a semester. Worst rotation ever. I still stand by my original posts - whatever they said.
    Last edited by vashti; 09-08-09 at 07:35 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You too, Vash. Not ever helping a single patient. Your attitude sucks. I don't know how you live with yourself.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast