+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: counseling

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You too, Vash. Not ever helping a single patient. Your attitude sucks. I don't know how you live with yourself.
    Xanax gets me through the day.... it helps with my poor self esteem that I blame on my mother.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    yes i have. I worked in a psych ward for a semester. Worst rotation ever. I still stand by my orignial posts - whatever they said.
    LOL, oh she will lose it with that comment.

This thread is a good example why kids should be forced to get a couple years of real life experience before being allowed to go to college. They will get far more out of it.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Xanax gets me through the day.... it helps with my poor self esteem that I blame on my mother.
    Oh. Personally I prefer a mixture of Paxil and Zoloft, myself. You know, one..one.. one for my headache and two... two... two.. for my heartache...

(Kiss Off - from my college days)

EDIT - OMG, everything is on utube. Here's the song I meant

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gproa6vzgws[/url]
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 09-08-09 at 08:25 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    What the hell? Have you ever worked before? You're telling me that people don't have energy to be angry after work? Man, I've never heard such bullshit before in my life.
    I don't. I work looong, hard hours. You should try it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thought I'd post this for general interest. Make of it what you will:

DSM-I (1952): 130 pages long, 106 mental disorders

DSM-II (1968) 134 pages long, 182 disorders (they dropped 'homosexuality' in the early 70s)

DSM-III (1980): 494 pages long, 265 diagnostic categories

DSM-IIIR (1987): 567 pages long, 292 disorders

DSM-IV (1994): 886 pages long, 297 disorders

Now, I've read that DSM-V is due for over 300 disorders and over a 1000 pages.

Many GOOD, concerned clinicians (doctors AND nurses), scientists and others are very concerned about this explosion of diagnoses. Many argue the DSM is no longer descriptive of the true state of mental health for our population, but is instead an iatrogenic effect.

For those who don't know this term, you can read about it here:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iatrogenesis[/url]
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My daughter says she wants to be a psychologist when she grows up. I always tell her that's because she doesn't know how annoying "psych" patients are.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Set her up to volunteer for a semester in the acute ward of your hospital. That should do it.
    If she is still into it, I guess its meant to be.

Tho, she won't see the real loopies doing that (unless she is lucky). She needs to work in a state facility for that. There are summer jobs; I did it. It was interesting, but the staff had a REALLY high burnout rate. Pretty common for that field. The unit doc was in the process of moving into private practice when I was there.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    shame on you, indi - you horrible, horrible person!
    where is my "booooooooooo" button??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Indi or Vash, did you get a chance to see and HBO documentary called Boy Interrupted?

I highly recommend. Cried my heart out.

Last edited by Sonrisa; 11-08-09 at 03:07 AM.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I don't. I work looong, hard hours. You should try it.
    Well, that's a personal choice to work looonngg, hard hours. It's not really my problem if I still have energy left after work. No, I shouldn't try it because I would be miserable and financially, I really don't have to right now. I only do what I have to do. I do sympathesize though, work bites.

As for working hard, yeah sometimes I would really like a lot to do, but frankly I don't. I'm basically paid to sit in my cubicle and do work that takes me 30 mins to complete. Before you get too jealous, just realize that I would love to have more work to do.

I'm only angry because I don't like to think that nurses and doctors secretly want to kill me or find me annoying as hell. I actually do like to think they WANT TO HELP ME.

I also like to think people choose those jobs because they like what they do. You should really only do something you like doing and if the hours are too long, I would find something else.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    I'm only angry because I don't like to think that nurses and doctors secretly want to kill me or find me annoying as hell. I actually do like to think they WANT TO HELP ME.
    Of course they do, Raze. But you have to understand the field is way more complex than you have yet experienced.

In fact, a LOT of doctors and nurses frustrations stem *precisely* from the fact that there are a lot things that make their jobs (helping patients) unnecessarily complicated. The DSM revisions I mentioned is just one example. Even the experts disagree.

You mentioned HIPPA (yes, I've heard of it). I'm no expert (Im from Canada, tho I went to school in the US), but that is a great example. There are a LOT of people in the health care field who are very unhappy with the restrictions that program has produced. Its had particularly devastating effects on those who conduct medical research (something I *do* know a lot about). That doesn't make it (or something like it) unnecessary, but it does show the very big difference b/t an ideal and putting it into practice.

FWIW.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Raze - you are hysterical! stop feelig sorry for yourself. I love my job, and I am grateful for being able to be so tired I don't have energy to be angry after work. It's a blessing. Why would I want it to be different?

BTW - no one likes whiners. Not doctors, and not nurses (unless they specialize in psych). Sorry.
    Last edited by vashti; 11-08-09 at 02:04 PM.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i like wine...does that count?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    You got arrested?? What for?
    Getting into a fight with my ex. I hit him, not because i wanted to hurt him; i was angry and wasn't watching were my arms where going and him and his piece of shit best friend at the time were picking on me but he called the cops first so they didn't even bother listening to me. And well i would NEVER call the cops on someone i cared about unless they were seriously going to hurt me bad.

And he comes at me later on w/ i never meant for you to get arrested, i'm really sorry. pretty much i said fcuk you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
    So what's your excuse?

Or is this projection.
    Would i really tell everyone on here why i'm like this? Especially since i have my picture posted; some ppl here have my myspace, fb. I'd probably pm vash or someone here who really knows what they're talking about....and is actually interested in maybe giving me an honest and helpful answer.

BTW i decided i'm not gonna see anyone, so i guess the thread ends here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Pharmaceutical industry is blooming like no other. It wants nothing to with quality of their drugs or with people's needs. Little kids are being prescribed drugs if their behaviour is a little our of the ordinary. Anyone with any issue can request any kind of drug they'd like to take. Patients are not willing to do any self-work or self-realization when there's an easier way of popping a drug into their mouth.
    It's not THAT easy to get drugs, it's fairly easy for anyone who can act but doctors try to do the best the can. And i'm not a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by s_b View Post
    .Bo. - here's a link to another field of thought about the treatment of depression and mental anxiety which is not drugs or counsellor/therapist based.

[url]http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/depression_disorder.html[/url]

Might be something useful in there - I had a quick scan of it and it seems non-invasive and common sense so give it a try.

Thanks, i haven't read it but i will in a few mins. I have been really busy and haven't had much time for anything.
    Last edited by Bo; 11-08-09 at 03:00 PM.
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

Raze - you are hysterical! stop feelig sorry for yourself. I love my job, and I am grateful for being able to be so tired I don't have energy to be angry after work. It's a blessing. Why would I want it to be different?
    Who says I'm feeling sorry for myself? What's with you guys in assumptions about me? lol. I said all that so you guys won't look up my information and show up at my doorstep with a shotgun. I was trying to make the peace to all you haterz... lol! All I'm saying is I wish I had more work to do and get bored a lot.

BTW - no one likes whiners. Not doctors, and not nurses (unless they specialize in psych). Sorry.
    No need to be sorry, I'm just allergic to pain. I break out in hives. Also, they better get used to it. They must hate a lot of people then. I go to a doctor to cure my pain and make me feel better and all warm and fuzzy inside.
    Last edited by Raze; 11-08-09 at 09:25 PM.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast